Best app to track flight path

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
I would like to track and record my flight path for my upcoming solo. Any suggestions or recommendations for an iPhone app that you feel would do a good job?

Thanks.

CloudAhoy is a good one. It's free for 30 days but after it expires you can still look at your saved logs. It gives you a 2D and 3D track plus overlays on satellite images if you want.

FlyQ EFB also records flights now...

Does it have a data recorder?
Yes! FlyQ EFB includes both automatic and manual flight recording functions. It also includes integrated playback (that is, from within FlyQ EFB itself), export to Cloud Ahoy and Google Earth via GPX, and direct posting of a summary track image to Facebook and Twitter. Flight recordings can be shared with other FlyQ users via email, making it very easy for student pilots to share flights with flight instructors.

I forgot, ForeFlight also does it if you've already paid for it. You simply export the flight to your browser and you can view the ground track.

Worth including in the conversation is Cloud Ahoy. www.cloudahoy.com

Uses your mobile device to gather the data (including altitude and speed) and then the web application to show not just track across the ground, but 3D representations and plots across sectionals and low enroute charts.

A free version has the following features:
  • In-cockpit using an iPhone/iPad/Android, or a flight simulator
  • Import flights from other products and devices
  • Access your flights from the web ("cloud storage")
  • Rich flight information per flight
  • Flight track in 2D (web and iPad)
  • KML Export (web only, not iPad)

Paid version ($65.00 per year) provides much more. This page shows comparison of features and more information. https://www.cloudahoy.com/product.php

flight-training-2-full.jpg

ifr-2-ipad-full.jpg

I have downloaded Cloudahoy. Thank you so much for the recommendations.

I used to use EveryTrail back in the day.

7DA96E16-1085-4B20-B37C-0C9ED7E21724.jpeg WingX can do that plus let you compare actual against planned route

CloudAhoy is pretty cool, just remember to start it and its no distraction.

For several versions now Garmin Pilot also records our track and can show it on the map. Not sure if it can be exported to be viewed overlaid on google earth or whatever.

Between the cameras, audio and GPS track you're gonna have this Solo pretty well documented :)

To the maker of CloudAhoy: Your program is sweet!!!. But I just do not use it enough to warrant a yearly subscription. If it was like $99 for lifetime (limited features) I would probably use it a lot more. Not sure if others feel the same way. But I suspect a lot of people try it, the 30-day expires and give up due to yearly fees.

To the maker of CloudAhoy: Your program is sweet!!!. But I just do not use it enough to warrant a yearly subscription. If it was like $99 for lifetime (limited features) I would probably use it a lot more. Not sure if others feel the same way. But I suspect a lot of people try it, the 30-day expires and give up due to yearly fees.

I agree 1000%

To the maker of CloudAhoy:
I don't think Chuck participates on this forum. So if you want your thoughts to be heard and considered, you will have to email him directly.... dev@cloudahoy.com

That all being said... $65/yr is cheap in the world of aviation...

Each calendar month, cut out one or two coffees from Starbucks, or one takeout lunch from the local quickfood joint, or 2 Redbulls.... And you can easily afford this.

I know your PPL is a recent event. Where Cloud Ahoy really comes into its own for a pilot like you is IFR training.

Last edited:
I don't think Chuck participates on this forum. So if you want your thoughts to be heard and considered, you will have to email him directly.... dev@cloudahoy.com

Each calendar month, cut out one or two coffees from Starbucks, or one takeout lunch from the local quickfood joint, or 2 Redbulls.... And you can easily afford this.

I know your PPL is a recent event. Where Cloud Ahoy really comes into its own for a pilot like you is IFR training.

Yeah, "lifetime" would be a losing proposition for a company. I was wondering though, if they had a smaller "member fee" (say 15 bucks) and then charged per flight, still keeping option for a yearly "covers all flights" they might hook the folk that don't want to pay even 65 bucks, and they might find out (or not) that after the first year they should have gone with yearly.

I use ForeFlight for planning and logging then push the track log to CloudAhoy; best of both worlds.

CloudAhoy is working on a 'CFI' feature that grades your performance. Your track is dissected into specific maneuvers and your performance compared to expected values. They don't have everything in place yet but can do steep turns, slow flight, stalls (I think), and landings. The feature is in beta right now but I love it (even if I hate the scores...but that's how you get better).

I'm thinking that model would be 1) difficult to sell to the customer base, and 2) horrendously difficult to implement and collect on.

I don't know. They would still offer the normal yearly sub. Just another option. It couldn't be that difficult, could it, games already have in game stores. I just thought for a company where many use the free trial, like it but don't want to pay so much for a year, it might get some more customers. Was just a thought.

So you will have to email him directly.... dev@cloudahoy.com

Agree on the price. I rent so CA works out to about 1/2 hour on the Hobbs...a total bargain for what it adds to my flights.

Customer service is awesome too.

I use GeoTracker app on phone, which makes it easy to export. Free. Screenshot_2018-08-02-08-11-50-1.png

Tested Cloudahoy tonight for preparation for my upcoming solo. Very cool app.

Pics attached.

Attachments

• 56FCB26F-A181-4BFA-B644-622F16C2558A.png
    56FCB26F-A181-4BFA-B644-622F16C2558A.png
    954.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 6B4565FF-7136-4DF6-94CA-F301103089B9.png
    6B4565FF-7136-4DF6-94CA-F301103089B9.png
    843.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 63CD9E56-0D1C-4929-BF99-090F5B6C35FB.png
    63CD9E56-0D1C-4929-BF99-090F5B6C35FB.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 378C6B33-7ED1-451F-9962-E1573BBBCA4E.png
    378C6B33-7ED1-451F-9962-E1573BBBCA4E.png
    868.3 KB · Views: 6
is the plane ADSB compliant. No need for junk in the plane, just go to Flightaware.com and it will be there.

Also, if you use flight following it will probably also there.

Here's an idea... concentrate on your solo flying and leave the techno ******** in your car.

Foreflight has a record option too they can be exported in a few formats including google earth

@Scrabo and @MickYoumans ... Did Hilton have any big announcements about WingX during last weeks event?

Update from him today, V9 was delayed slightly, adding Stratus support and a few feedback ideas from OSH.

Have not seen/read any feedback from anyone who was at his booth at OSH

Back