Bent metal, live pilot/pass, mountain rescue in TN

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
I almost didn't post about this. This is my favorite 172 from our club. It wasn't an outstanding performer, it tended to blow the flap CB, and the tac shook like a heroin addict, but I loved her. Did most of my instrument training and my checkride in this plane, and just gave my brother in law and stepfather a nice ~3 hour tour of SE Michigan barely more of a week ago in her (in fact you can see my IFR flights to / from Romeo State still on FlightAware).

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=164765

Pilot and passengers were rescued via what sounds like a rather daring and tedious into-the-night bushwhacking adventure. They were helo'd out and taken to the local hospital, but it seems like they'll be ok as far as I can tell.

The heartbreaking part for me is the chart around 0A9. I already PMd a member of the board asking about it and called my flight instructor to get his opinion, but it just looked like the aircraft for whatever reason couldn't outclimb the mountain. I'm glad no one was killed and I hope the pilot keeps flying.

The aircraft I did most of my primary training in - N24800 - was totaled in a mis-executed go-around last summer. Now the aircraft I did most of my instrument training in is gone as well. At this point, the two aircraft I've flown most are twisted bits of metal. It is QUITE sobering.

Won't be the last you know either. A buddy of mine and I were working adjacent fields and I watched him bury the nose into the field on a turn. C'est la vie....

"Mountains" in TN.....? You're kidding, right?

It crashed on something called Holston Mountain 2400' above and 2 miles from the departure airport, so no, I am not kidding. I am aware of bigger hills somewhere out west, but this story goes to show that terrain is still difficult to fly through even when it is 10,000' lower in elevation.

My home airport is in the middle of massive flatland..

It's always rough when it hits close to home Chris. One 152 I trained in briefly augured in during a training flight to PTK, a Cherokee I had a few hours in (my only logged hours not in a Cessna) crashed into the T-hangars at the field where I did most of my pre-solo training (DET). Both were destroyed, and one of the occupants sustained serious injuries in the 152 crash.

The 150 I soloed in turned out to be hot (as in, stolen) -- but that's a story for another thread.

Your 'favorite' 172 had an electrical problem no one tried to resolve and a bad tach cable no one ever fixed . . . .

ever wonder what else was wrong you could not see?

This is my home field.
I am out of state right now so I have not heard anything.
Holston mountain is directly adjacent the runway and rises about 3000 agl directly north of the runway.
Approaches into this field are not authorized at night.
Landings at this airport are not authorized at night unless the pilot has completed a night checkout at the field.
I have discussed the surrounding terrain in a previous thread I started regarding the frequent missed approaches into this field due to the terrain here:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67091&highlight=0a9+approach+airport
Yes, it is not Colorado mountains, but the mountains are in the traffic pattern.

It crashed on something called Holston Mountain 2400' above and 2 miles from the departure airport, so no, I am not kidding. I am aware of bigger hills somewhere out west, but this story goes to show that terrain is still difficult to fly through even when it is 10,000' lower in elevation.

My home airport is in the middle of massive flatland..

Which is why I'll opt for the approach into a strange field at night. We were cleared for the visual into Lagrange, GA (KLGA) last Sat. night, but I requested the GPS 13 since I was unfamiliar with the area. The next morning in the early fog I could make out terrain variations that made me glad I opted for the approach.

If you don't think there are mountains in Tennessee, meet me up there and I'll bring you a bicycle you can ride to the summit. I'm pretty sure you'll be convinced by the time you reach the top.

Back