Bending an Exhaust Pipe

Flocker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flocker
Has anyone had to do this? We need to put a slight bend in a pipe due to its proximity to vital engine parts. Are there mx shops that specialize in this? I would imagine special tools are required. Any advice is appreciated. We're located in GA if that helps.

Has anyone had to do this? We need to put a slight bend in a pipe due to its proximity to vital engine parts. Are there mx shops that specialize in this? I would imagine special tools are required. Any advice is appreciated. We're located in GA if that helps.

For a slight bend I heat up the pipe cherry red with a rosebud tip on my welding torch and then cool what will be the inside of the bend with a wet rag.

For more bend I pack it with sand, heat it up cherry red and bend it over my leg with something to insulate my leg from the heat. I have a woven asbestos pad but they are not longer available.

Engines shouldn't settle.

This. When we replaced our engine, we sent out that engine mount for refurb and more than half of it had to be redone with new tubing. When the new engine was installed, the angle of the cowling was noticeably higher in front.

The rubbers are in excellent condition. ...It's a 912iS on a Tecnam P2008.
Don't know the aircraft so can't give you any specific pointers. But if you think the engine position has moved, i.e., settled, I'd get all the cowling off and start yanking on stuff to see why. Could also be a perspective thing. Maybe your exhaust pipe has moved lower?

Consult an aircraft exhaust outfit for this. This is not typical maintenance work. You can wreck exhaust stuff messing with it, and a failed exhaust pipe in flight can kill you real dead.

As others have said, it's most likely some other issue. Might even be a broken engine mount.

Back