Benadryl

U

Unregistered

I take Benadryl for seasonal allergies but not within 24 of flying. Am I safe to fly?

Last edited:
From the FAA doc I linked above:

>>>
Exception: Nonsedating antihistamines (loratadine, desloratadine, and fexofenadine) may be used while flying, if symptoms are controlled without adverse side effects after an adequate initial trial period.
<<<

Claritin D, which you said doesn't work, is loratadine.
Allegra is fexofenadine
Clarinex is desloratadine

Last edited:
Note the D variants may contain either pseudoephedrine (sudafed) or phenylephrine (PE).
Both are OK to fly with if you have no adverse effects.

Claratin D indeed has pseudoephedrine in it.

I thought sudafed's side effect is the opposite of sedating. It has a stimulating effect that can keep you awake.

From the FAA doc I linked above:

>>>
Exception: Nonsedating antihistamines (loratadine, desloratadine, and fexofenadine) may be used while flying, if symptoms are controlled without adverse side effects after an adequate initial trial period.
<<<

Claritin D, which you said doesn't work, is loratadine.
Allegra is fexofenadine
Clarinex is desloratadine

If Claritin doesn't work for the OP, Clarinex probably won't work either since loratidine is metabolized to form desloratidine in the body, desloratidine is actually the active molecule. Merck (nee' Schering-Plough) discovered this as part of the drug metabolism studies.

Zyrtec?.....I sometimes need the good stuff too. Benadryl is the wonder drug of the 21st century. :yes:

Note the D variants may contain either pseudoephedrine (sudafed) or phenylephrine (PE).
Both are OK to fly with if you have no adverse effects.

Claratin D indeed has pseudoephedrine in it.

Are you sure?

Allergy, Cold, Decongestants - Sudafed is approved by the FAA provided it is not combined with an antihistamine. Claritin (Loratadine), Clarinex (Desloratadine) and Allegra (Fexofenadine) are acceptable to the FAA provided no negative side effects are experienced. Vitamin B-12 or other prophylactic injections are approved provided there are no side effects. Sedating medications are not acceptable. This includes but is not limited to: Cetirazine (Zyrtec), Dipenhydramine (Benadryl) and Astelin (Azelastine) Nasal Inhaler.

https://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

So not taking anything 24hrs before flight is ok? I don't have severe allergies where I have to get a prescription.

The FAA document says this about benadryl, but it's referring to use as a sleep aid:

>>
Diphenhydramine (e.g., Benadryl). Many OTC sleep aids contain diphenhydramine as the active ingredient. The wait time after diphenhydramine is 60 hours (based on maximum pharmacologic half-life)
<<<

60 hrs is 2.5 days!

Pretty sure. I'm pretty sure that the site you are quoting is MISINTERRETTING the FAA Guidance which says you can't take pseudoephedrine with SEDATING antihistamines. When combined with one of the approved non-sedating antihistimines, it's not a problem (given the general "no adverse affects" qualification).

I took Allegra for several years. During that time my flight docs advised me not to take Allegra D.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back