Benadryl

U

Unregistered

I took Benadryl and flew as PIC. Do you think it has any affect on me as a pilot?
It doesn't say I shouldn't operate machinery.

vsh0914l_zpsbb18b6c0.jpg

Assuming you didn't give it time to wear off, YES. Side effects include drowsiness, dizziness, and blurred vision.

Side effects of Benadryl include sedation, sleepiness, dizziness, and impaired coordination. The fact that the label didn't say anything about not operating machinery doesn't change any of that.

My experience with Benadryl is that it effects me differently at different times. In general though, I only take it when I want to sleep for the rest of the day. I won't even drive on the stuff.

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/research/med_humanfacs/oamtechreports/2010s/media/201113.pdf
Diphenhydramine,.an.H1.antihistamine.with.impairing. properties,.is.the.most.common.drug.found.in.pilots.who. have.died.in.aviation.accidents ..The.FAA.has.taken.steps. to. warn. pilots. of. the. dangers. in. using. this. medication. that. is. dispensed. as. both. an. Rx. and. OTC. medication .. Because. significant. aviation. performance. impairment. can.be.associated.with.diphenhydramine,.the.Office.of. Aerospace.Medicine.will.continue.to.take.steps.to.help. pilots.decide.when.it.is.safe.to.resume.flying.duties.after. taking.such.an.impairing.medication.(Figure.3) ..

Already been covered well but I've taken the stuff in the past and it makes me drowsy. I wouldn't ever take it if I was going to have to be awake and alert within the next 12 hours and that was before I did any flying.

Benadryl is on "the list" per the FAA. It lowers performance in some, others (me) can't tell the difference (perhaps my performance is already at the bottom rung and can't go lower). Anyway, Claritin is a much better choice and lasts longer.

That's very responsible of you and thank you for your integrity. I would advise you to ccontact the flight Doc for his recommendation. That shouldn't be more than a 5 minute phone call and despite everyone else who is going to cry out saying, "why would you talk to the flight doc about that, this will come back on you." That is an absolutely false stigma.

In the Army we have to consult our flight surgeon or assistant PA to use any type of medication. Sleep aids are absolutely out of the question because of some of their properties. Also some simple guidelines to provide since this isn't really pushed in the civilian side of aviation in GA: anesthesia, you shouldn't fly for at least 48 hours. If it's local anesthesia you should wait a minimum of 12 hours (dental work, etc). Alcohol is 12 hours prior to flight duties in the Army. Immunizations are automatic 12 hours of down time. If you give more than 200 cc's of blood then you're down for at least 72 hours. They also recommend to not be a regular donor. The hotter topic amongst air crews in the Army now is that ginseng is not authorized for consumption, and if consumed you cannot perform flight duties for 24 hours (or 48, I can't remember). So no Monster energy drinks! LAME!! LAME LAME LAME!

Last edited:
Check out the ingredients of the sleep aid Tylenol PM.

Or any OTC sleep aid like Sominex.

All the sedating antihistamines are out: Benedryl, Zyrtec, Astelin, etc... regardless of how you react to them.

Many of the non-sedating ones: Claritin (loratadine), Allegra (fexofenadine), are OK.

Ok I'm going to stay away from Benadryl at least 12 hours before flying. I need to correct one statement though in my first post. I was not acting as PIC because I'm not a current PPL and was flying with an instructor. I'm prepping for my flight review. I asked the original question is because my performance was poor in my flight maneuvers but not to a point I was unsafe. Now I think I know why.

Thanks for the comments.

Signed OP.

Ok I'm going to stay away from Benadryl at least 12 hours before flying. I need to correct one statement though in my first post. I was not acting as PIC because I'm not a current PPL and was flying with an instructor. I'm prepping for my flight review. I asked the original question is because my performance was poor in my flight maneuvers but not to a point I was unsafe. Now I think I know why.
Good. Next time, to improve your performance, do the research on any drugs you're taking before the flight, not after.

Thanks for the comments.

Signed OP.

12 hours is not sufficient. The FAA likes to see five half-lives of a select list of "do not fly" drugs before you're good to go -- for Benadryl that's *60 hours*. See: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/pharm/dni_dnf/

Diphenhydramine (e.g., Benadryl). Many OTC sleep aids contain diphenhydramine as the active ingredient. The wait time after diphenhydramine is 60 hours (based on maximum pharmacologic half life)

Point Taken Cap Ron but it never crossed my mind.
"Learning" is a change in behavior as a result of experience. We all start with a full bag of luck, and an empty bag for experience. The trick is to fill the experience bag before your luck bag goes empty. It seems you have learned from this experience, and that's good enough for me.

Now go, and sin no more.

"Learning" is a change in behavior as a result of experience. We all start with a full bag of luck, and an empty bag for experience. The trick is to fill the experience bag before your luck bag goes empty. It seems you have learned from this experience, and that's good enough for me.

Now go, and sin no more.

Will Do! :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back