Belly landing at KPIE

markab

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
markab
A King Air did a belly landing while I was at the FBO. I snapped a couple pictures. When it happened the plane was out on the runway for about 5 minutes then it started to blow black smoke, fire responders came and blew foam on it and apparently nobody was hurt.

Link to Video
:yikes:

EDIT: Video above is a link to my vimeo. I took the video shortly after we heard in the FBO someone had just belly landed. I was told it was a King Air 200.

Last edited:
So the trucks weren't standing by when it landed? That's not good...

So the trucks weren't standing by when it landed? That's not good...

Did they know it was gonna be a gear up landing? These things do happen by accident sometimes. Happened to one of the big king airs at my field last year.

Did they know it was gonna be a gear up landing? These things do happen by accident sometimes. Happened to one of the big king airs at my field last year.

Tower didn't know it happened until it was down.

Don't the King Air's have automated systems and alarms to prevent something like this? This would be a an easy way to get out of an aging king air with high engine times. (and a very fast track to club-fed)

I know it seems to be the flavor of the day to bash Henning. But hopefully we'll tire of it soon. I'd like to think POA is better than continuing to take cheap shots at someone who was very forthright about their mishap.

I know it seems to be the flavor of the day to bash Henning. But hopefully we'll tire of it soon. I'd like to think POA is better than continuing to take cheap shots at someone who was very forthright about their mishap.

Yup..

Tower didn't know it happened until it was down.

Don't the King Air's have automated systems and alarms to prevent something like this? This would be a an easy way to get out of an aging king air with high engine times. (and a very fast track to club-fed)

The one at my field had some kind of electrical problem and was coming in NORDO. He didn't put the gear down and He certainly never tried the emergency extension. He claimed both that he saw 3 green AND that he had a complete electrical failure. Since you can't have both Everybody is pretty sure the guy just got task fixated and didn't put the gear down.

I have never bashed Henning. I like the guy.

This...

A number of posts have been deleted. Talking about someone is one thing. Accusing him of crimes is another.

Last edited:
Don't the King Air's have automated systems and alarms to prevent something like this?

Yes they do. :)

Tower: "King Air 4TK, cleared to land rwy 18"
4TK: "Cleared to land 18"
Tower: "King Air 4TK, check gear down"
4TK: "Say again?"
Tower: "King Air 4TK ... check ... gear ... down"
4TK: "Say again, I can't hear you over the damn alarms"
Tower: "King ... Air .... 4TK ... check ... gear ... down"
4TK: "I can't hear nothing over the dang ringing noise, say again"
Tower: "King Air 4TK, CHECK GEAR DOWN .... oh **** ... emergency vehicles are on their way"

Yep, this is why (around here at least) a gear up is a mandatory 709 ride no matter what excuse you make.

I've only ever been close once. When my engine blew up at about 600AGL or so I made the turn back to the runway. I'm about 200 above the ground setting up for landing saying to myself, what did I forget. Yep gear. Fortunately it slams down fast in the Navion.

Whenever I had a complex student forget the gear I'd let them go with it. Then at 50 feet or so I'd take the plane and go around. Everything went calm and we'd just sorta climb out while they looked at me and I'd ask, "what's that noise"?

I loved the look on their face as it went from confusion of why I was flying to realization they just gear up'd. I always got a sense that it was real eye opener that it could really happen and felt good they'd be far less likely to gear up in the future.

Margy's instructor said he was training a woman in a Bonanza who was flying down the approach with the gear horn beeping away. He suggested to her if she would advance the throttle a touch it would stop making that noise. She did.

When Margy was getting her transition training in the Navion, she forgot to put the gear down. The instructor's idea of how long to let her wait before telling her was a lot longer than I could stand to wait in the backseat.

Margy's instructor said he was training a woman in a Bonanza who was flying down the approach with the gear horn beeping away. He suggested to her if she would advance the throttle a touch it would stop making that noise. She did.

When Margy was getting her transition training in the Navion, she forgot to put the gear down. The instructor's idea of how long to let her wait before telling her was a lot longer than I could stand to wait in the backseat.

law of intensity. Correct them way out and it doesn't make an impression. By riding it to short final they can't convince themselves later that they were about to do it or would have got to it. It forces them to realize it can and did happen and realistically look at ways to prevent it.

Standardization in profiles and proper checklist usage being prime.

I dont know whats up with the gear down zealots in here. Gear failure to extend is not an excuse by default. There are circumstances that necessitate an intentional or mechanically obligated gear up landing. Automatic 709 ride? Lol.

law of intensity. Correct them way out and it doesn't make an impression. By riding it to short final they can't convince themselves later that they were about to do it or would have got to it. It forces them to realize it can and did happen and realistically look at ways to prevent it.

Standardization in profiles and proper checklist usage being prime.

:yes:

Automatic 709 ride? Lol.

Laugh all you want, but it is TRUE in this area. No amount of arguing mechanical failure will get you out of it. The FAA doesn't officially need a reason to give you a 709 ride.

Laugh all you want, but it is TRUE in this area. No amount of arguing mechanical failure will get you out of it. The FAA doesn't officially need a reason to give you a 709 ride.

Yeah I know a guy that hit a group of deer in a ME turbine aircraft during take off in between V1 and VR. It resulted in an immediate loss of directional control and a departure from the runway. One main gear and the nose gear were ripped off the aircraft during the initial impact causing the loss of control. The pilot obviously pulled the throttles to idle and did his best to try and maintain control. The stupid ass from the FAA tried to bust him for aborting after V1:confused:

He complained to higher ups at the FSDO and the issue went away.

My point is that just because some bureaucrat has a policy to always do something doesn't mean that it is correct nor does it mean the ride actually happens. Sometimes you can stop stupid people from making your life difficult.

A 709 ride is not a bust. It's not an enforcement action.

I almost fell off my chair. I have never laughed so hard. Thanks I needed a good laugh this morning...

Yep, this is why (around here at least) a gear up is a mandatory 709 ride no matter what excuse you make.

Under the new Enforcement and Compliance philosophy, if someone does an unintentional gear up they will receive remedial training, not a 44709 ride.

I heard about this. I work at the CG Air Station there. I wasnt there at the time for this one but last saturday I was walking over to my Galley and heard an odd sound. I looked up and a white plane went overhead at about 150-200 ft, then a a yellow plane followed soon after maybe a piper I would guess, much lower, with a sputtering engine that sounded horrible. he made a break for the runway and I heard from a sheriff on the frequency later that they declared and made it down... I thought he was coming down in our parking lot. Been pretty eventful there recently.

Back