Being rushed to take check ride?

Late Bloomer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Late Bloomer
I'm asking for your opinions, please.

My check ride is scheduled for the 25th of this month (next week). However, my CFI has NOT endorsed my logbook yet for the check ride. I still don't have all my under hood time done (I need one more hour). I can't do short/soft field landings/takeoffs to PTS standards yet. I've barely practiced emergency procedures/engine outs.

The flight school told me they'd do a mock check ride, as well as quiz me orally on the regulations, airspace, etc. before the check ride. Neither of these have been accomplished.

To further complicate things, a local DPE isn't available, so I'll have to fly to another airport about 75 miles away. EDIT: My CFI is wiling to fly with me to that airport to get familiar with the area and practice maneuvers, but I don't think one additional day of training will make that much of a difference.

Since the school is closed on the weekends, that gives me only two days to work on those maneuvers I'm deficient in. I don't feel that's enough time at all!

The reason I feel I'm being rushed? I'm far away from home on a leave of absence from work, and I'm scheduled to head back home the day after the check ride. If I don't pass it, which I honestly don't think I can at the moment, that will require me to re-do the check ride with the same DPE, which I really don't want to do. I'd have to take MORE time off work, and MORE time away from my family. I've been away from home for about a month, and honestly I'm ready to head back.

I've been thinking about cancelling my check ride, and perhaps doing it when I feel I'm ready, with a DPE near my home. What say you??

EDIT #2: Yes, part of it IS a confidence issue. I'm not even close to meeting standards on some maneuvers, and the school thinks two days are all I need. But, I think that's cutting it way too close. If I had a couple more weeks, then OK, but I don't have the luxury of time. I want to be confident going into the check ride, knowing I can pass, but right now I'm not.

Last edited:
I would be firm with them in my explanation that I am feeling rushed. But on the other hand if they feel your ready or will be ready then it's a different choice, always refer back to the fact that your PIC in your training. Not them.

Given how expensive check rides can be compared to regular training, I don't think there's any doubt that you should cancel. The check ride will be challenging and you should feel 95% ready. I'm shocked that your CFI is allowing you to schedule it given part of your flying isn't within PTS.

You should feel comfortable and not feel rushed or pressured to test your abilities before they're ready. Unless it's a confidence issue that the CFI is attempting to force out, you really should take charge and do what makes you feel comfortable. You don't want to go uncomfortably into the check ride, fail, and have a really bad experience to overcome later.

You know when you feel confident for the ride. Does the school have a reputation for student success ? If not go with your feelings and test when you feel ready.

...I knew when I was ready. Yeah, you always have that 'maybe I'm missing something...' or 'my short-field landings aren't great...' but the PPL isn't about flying like Chuck Yeager...it's about being safe. Sure, you've got PTS standards to adhere to but as long as you're not all over the place any decent DPE is going to pass if you if you present him with a good safe ride and maneuvers that are 'within' PTS. My DPE was a hard ass and I know of at least 2 places where he could have failed me but didn't. So, they want you to do well too - just don't give them a reason not to.

That said, if you are struggling just to get time in and logbook endorsements I'd say postpone it. I know DPE schedules can be tight and it may be another month before you can do yours but I'd rather do that and feel good about it going in than rushing it.

Your CFI certainly doesn't want you to do poorly as that's not good for you obviously and it's a poor reflection on him. But he's working for you - you make the call.

Until both you and your instructor agree you're ready, you should not be taking the ride. That does not bar you from scheduling the ride at a point where you and your instructor anticipate you'll be ready (there are often weeks-long waits to schedule), but don't let that deter you from postponing a scheduled ride if you don't think you're ready as the day looms close.

Late Bloomer...I also did an accelerated program taking off work and traveling literally cross country as well...for me it was a way to fully focus and only was I was gonna get it done. I was in the same boat...I had an opportunity to take the check ride MUCH earlier than I had planned due to some circumstances that worked out in my favor with DPE and scheduling. When wavering on the options to push or leave it with plenty of time...I looked at my instructor and asked "will I be ready in time"...when he said "no doubt" I said "lets do it" and got even more focused. Even though I could not picture taking the checkride that soon cuz I didn't know what I didn't know yet, I trusted in my CFI...but more importantly my ability to stay focused.

Doing an accelerated program is overwhelming, mentally exhausting and physically exhausting. I hit a wall the morning before my checkride where I literally did not wanna fly anymore and told my CFI we are just wasting gas cuz nothing is clicking. He commended me on my "good aeronautical decision making" rather than pushing it and we called it a day and we worked on oral prep, but he assured me I was more than ready.

I was a basket case the morning of the exam and almost lost it cuz I was so drained, but once we got started I was relaxed and aced the oral and checkride. As much as I panicked...I was surprised by how ready I ACTUALLY was!

As far as a mock check ride. The exam was just everything that we had already done during training strung together...there we no surprises or gotchas. Nothing I did on the check ride wasn't anything that I hadn't done a bunch of times with my CFI, so I would not sweat that.

Long story short...only you can answer if you are truly ready and if you have it in ya to have the focus to work on the areas you feel you are lacking in your timeline...but unless they are just trying to push ya out the door for the next student, have a conversation with your CFI about how ready you really are.

Last edited:
...and I will add that the accelerated format is NOT for everyone. Their sales pitch is slick but you have to have a specific learning style that may or may not be suited for that. It is not about ability to fly or better or worse. If you do opt to delay or take it and do not pass, I would recommend that you take what you have leaned and swicth to a more traditional training format with a CFI near your home. You can then work on the areas that you feel you are lacking at not a rushed pace, THEN schedule a DPE. There is nothing that says you have to do it ALL away from home with one CFI and take more time off!

I agree with all on delaying the ride. As for flying to another airport, that's what I did, and thought it was a great experience. My examiner was at Rowan County (NC) airport, which was about 45nm from my home base. My CFI and I went there a week or two before the ride to get comfortable with the area. But I flew solo to the ride, and I'll tell you, the best flight of my life was that ride back to my home base with my a Temporary Airman's Certificate..

Good luck!

Well the way i see it is, you can go do the check ride. Your instructor feels you are ready go do it. Best case you pass and get your ticket. Worse case scenario you fail. The you go home find a local instructor to polish you up and re take the check ride. The other option is put off the check ride, go home, find a local instructor to polish up and then do the check ride.

It seems the only real drawback is if you do the ride on the 25th, and fail. You spent money on the DPE.

If you do not feel ready then don't go. I took my Private at another field but it was only about 20 miles from my home field and I was familiar with the area and airport

I took my private at a field 50 miles away. Unfamiliar, but was fun.

Why rush it? Go when feel ready and pass. I postponed my IR ride as I got married on Wednesday. Will do it after the honeymoon. Got my lessons set up and the ride set up for my return.

Thanks for the comments. After reading them several times, and talking it over with my family, I've decided to head home where I can take my time to make sure I'm ready before the check ride is scheduled.

On a side note, I feel good about this decision because I feel the flight school treated me more like a number than a person. They train a lot of international students, and I felt as though I was an inconvenience to them. Whenever I wanted to fly, they had to rearrange the schedule to squeeze me in. :mad2:

Onward and upward!

...I flew to my checkride too. I actually enjoyed that as it was an opportunity for me to get some flying time in prior to my checkride...do a few TNG's and get my head right for what was about to happen vs just climbing in for the first time of the day.

Either way - good luck!!

Why rush it? Go when feel ready and pass. I postponed my IR ride as I got married on Wednesday. Will do it after the honeymoon. Got my lessons set up and the ride set up for my return.

Excuse me, but what the hell are you doing on POA? Your new bride must be getting restless.

Congrats again.

Back