Being a pilot(age)

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I had a Lifeline Flight from Kalamazoo to Cleveland's Lakefront yesterday. What a perfect day to fly. December in the Great Lakes usually means overcast and icing, but the high pressure system was dominating the area, and the skies were clear when I got up. There was some mist/fog in the area, but that was quickly dissipating as the temperature climbed and the dewpoint spread widened. I arrived in Kalamazoo, and picked up my passengers - one of whom I later found out was deathly afraid of heights.

The flight to Cleveland went well, and I was cleared into the Bravo as soon as I was handed off from Toledo - probably 30 miles outside the airspace. Usually I get cleared into Bravo airspace with about 2 minutes to spare, but this time it was with plenty of time. I was also NOT given an altitude assignment for Bravo entry. Just a "maintain VFR" from the controller, and a short conversation with him on how I was navigating. I said I was just following the shoreline, and was told just keep the shore on my right side and there would be no issues - even though I would be crossing the approach path into Hopkins. I was then given an "altitude your discretion" into BKL. Approach cut me loose when I had the field in site, called the tower, and made one of the best landings ever. You could have held a cup of McDonald's scalding hot coffee filled level to the top between your legs and not gotten burned. The passenger who was not scared to death said the landing was "amazing" and I said thank you.

(Puts on my Kent Shook, MKE $ignature hat)

Ok, if you ever go into BKL, give Millionair a giant middle finger, and use BAC/Avitat. I had called Millionair the previous week asking how my (emphasized) Lifeline passengers could get from BKL to the Cleveland Clinic - a scant 4-5 miles away. The response from Millionair - your passengers/patients are on their own - tell them to call a cab. Hold on a second here, these are people who can't really afford much in the way of transportation to begin with, and you're telling me to tell them to get a cab? I don't think so. Avitat didn't have a courtesy car for me, but went one better - free shuttle service to anywhere in the vicinity. I wasn't going to buy fuel there because it was about 45 cents more per gallon than at my home field, but after they dropped me off at a local diner then my passengers off, and picked me back up when I was finished eating, I told them to top it off.

I took of VFR and cruised at 2000' out over Lake Erie staying under the 3000' shelf of the Bravo, and had my GPS on just so I made sure I stayed outside the 1900' shelf and avoid any call ups on 121.5. Once I was clear of the 1900' shelf, I did something I hadn't done in a long time - shut off the GPS. Well, not really shut it off, but put it on one of the screens that provided me with no navigational information on it, except course and GS. I dawdled along Lake Erie, keeping my RPM between 2400 and 2500, and then I descended to about 500' off the water, and headed towards Cedar Point. For those that don't know Cedar Point is arguably the best amusement park in the world, and it was interesting to see the roller-coasters almost level with my wingtip.

After passing the Point, I dug out the sectional chart, and started doing things the old fashioned way. Railroad tracks, power lines, giant towers. And I did it all under 1500' agl. Plus the winds were almost 20 kts up higher so it was a good excuse to stay low. Had one little whoops on the way back as I followed the wrong railroad track out of Toledo, and instead of being over Adrian, MI, I ended up a bit north but knew where I was when the airport I saw had a N/S runway, and quickly got my bearings back. I flew over Michigan International Speedway, and then headed NW to Hastings. Made another McDonald's coffee landing, and put the plane away, and headed to the office so I could at least say I got some work done that day. I need to do this pilotage thing more often.

Nice post Ed!
Pilotage is about as fun as it gets with navigation. There is just a nice satisfying feeling that comes with knowing exactly where you are with a map. I like it so much that I usually take a few expired sectionals with me on airline flights. It's fun being the only one (including the flight crew) that knows that the little town below the wing is Pinetar, Nowhere.

I always find it quite a bit more difficult at low altitudes than when high up.

One day, before it becomes illegal, I'm going to fly something with a tailwheel and no navaids across the country using only sectionals. Maybe I'll make it NORDO just for kicks.

Nice write-up.
When able, it is fun to spend more time looking outside and flying than punching up a little screen of images.

I'm a big fan of turning the GPS off and just enjoying the view. I used my handheld GPS while in Florida this weekend and realized none of the menus were setup. It's been awhile.

Nice post Ed!
Pilotage is about as fun as it gets with navigation. There is just a nice satisfying feeling that comes with knowing exactly where you are with a map. I like it so much that I usually take a few expired sectionals with me on airline flights. It's fun being the only one (including the flight crew) that knows that the little town below the wing is Pinetar, Nowhere.

I always find it quite a bit more difficult at low altitudes than when high up.

One day, before it becomes illegal, I'm going to fly something with a tailwheel and no navaids across the country using only sectionals. Maybe I'll make it NORDO just for kicks.
That is exactly why I love helicopters, and pilotage becomes a real challenge sometimes when you're at 700 agl or below :D

When we brought the R44 back from RHC in Torrance Calif., we basically followed I-10 and 20 well into Texas. It was a hoot :yes:

Sometimes, just for jollies, I do pilotage with a road map.

Excellent write-up! I actually just sent in my LifeLine app yesterday; not sure when I'll be able to do a mission, but I like the idea of flying with a higher purpose. Find the Olivia thread for my upbeat flying experience of the week :). The weather looked even better today here, at least out the windows at work.

I had a Lifeline Flight from Kalamazoo to Cleveland's Lakefront yesterday.

I thought LifeLine was part of Angel Flight now? I just got all of my stuff back from Angel Flight, so I'll be able to be PIC on Angel Flights soon (I've gone before as a copilot).

If LifeLine has NOT merged with Angel Flight... What is the difference between the two (aside from having to use "Compassion" instead of "Angel Flight" with ATC :D)?

(Puts on my Kent Shook, MKE $ignature hat)

:rofl: Glad the message got across. ;) :rofl:

And I did it all under 1500' agl. (...) I need to do this pilotage thing more often.

It is fun, isn't it? Especially down low.

I drove from Belgrade, MT to Twin Falls, ID and on to Winnemucca, NV today. It's a beautiful drive, and cuts through Yellowstone. Lot of ice on the road in the park and all the way into Idaho, but just about the same time the road cleared up, there were large, flat snow-covered areas on both sides. I'd passed the Yellowstone airport a bit earlier and was already wondering if the Forest Service had any jobs flying ski/float equipped Super Cubs or something out of there. I saw the snow-covered plains, and it just made me REALLY want to fly the sweet little yellow low-and-slow birds on skis again. And, I'm going to do exactly that, in less than 2 months. I can't wait. :yes: :)

GPS? What's that. Oh, yeah. That's that new toy we have in a couple of the club's planes. VOR receivers are as high tech as the other two go. Well, the 182 has DME, too. :D

Pilotage is a skill we should all exercise. If you're good (like my wife) you don't need those other things on a good VFR day. And when (not if) the electrics fail that may be all you have.

GPS? What's that. Oh, yeah. That's that new toy we have in a couple of the club's planes. VOR receivers are as high tech as the other two go. Well, the 182 has DME, too. :D

Pilotage is a skill we should all exercise. If you're good (like my wife) you don't need those other things on a good VFR day. And when (not if) the electrics fail that may be all you have.

VOR? Wow, you guys are high tech. Around here it's rare to have any nav equipement in an aircraft at all, other than a wet compass. I've never seen a trainer with even a VOR. People just don't seem to learn about radio nav during their PPL. And nobody does an IR rating until after their commercial. Most people seem to fly using 100% pilotage. Only the more expensive rental aircraft will have a VOR or sometimes a GPS.

Chris

Nice write up Ed. I see you've joined NYC in the war on transfat. Instead of greasers, we now have McDonald's Coffee Landings.
I like basic pilotage. It is certainly more satisfying getting from point A to B using the eyeball and a map. (insert joke about both hands and a map!) When last in NC, I flew a real basic C172. Over 10 hours worth of GPS-less flying which left me with a smile for weeks. It's still something nice to reflect on.

Back