Beginning PPL Training - "Must Haves?"

DrewG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DrewG
Greetings all!

I've been an off-and-on lurker here over the years, but decided to finally register and post. I hope to be able to make new friends and learn new things from you all!

I will apologize in advance if this post isn't in the proper forum or if my search on this topic before posting wasn't adequate enough. I tried!

For the past many years, I've made attempts to start flight training or have been gifted various "lessons" which basically amounted to discovery flights, as life/family/finances got in the way of going much further. All-in-all, I've acquired about 9.5 hours of dual time since about 2003, which doesn't amount to much. I'm now able to finally commit the time and resources to finally achieving this goal before I'm 40 without interruption, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

With that said, I'm obviously starting at square one and going full-bore and thus, need to be adequately prepared. Plus, with the holidays looming, I need to provide some gift ideas to the family!

So - finally - to my question; what are some "must have" items a student (or any) pilot should possess, besides the obvious things like a flight bag, good headset, E6B, charts, etc.? I've seen a few lists through web searches that all contain the same things - but I'm wondering if there are certain things that aren't so obvious that you all would add to your lists.

I really appreciate any input and look forward to sharing some good conversation in these forums!

Last edited:
I just picked this up....

71yrPBLfzkS._SL1500_.jpg

you don't need the bag or a good headset (buy a cheap headset if your school doesn't have a set for students.. it will be your PAX headset post PPL). Charts? Get an iThingy for that. I suppose the paper ones come in handy for the flight planning excercises they INSIST you perform with a chart, plotter and E6B for the check ride (You'll never do this in reality)

My suggestion would be the ASA Private Pilot test prep. It's usually around 15 bucks.

http://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Prep-2014-Private-Pilot-P1810C9.aspx

what are some "must have" items a student (or any) pilot should possess,

The first inclination is to buy a bunch of stuff you don't need. Think carefully about the answers you get from this good question.

My number one answer: a medical certificate. Don't go spending a lot on flight lessons if you can't get a medical.

Other must haves:

headset. Stretch your budget to get a good ANR (automatic noise reduction) headset. Save your ears, it will.

Subscription to paper charts for your area. A Sectional and if applicable,
a TAF.

A subscription to the AFD.

These last two may be temporary needs as you move on to electronic sources for this information, but learn the analog way, then digital.

-Skip

Must have,money ,and a strong desire to fly.you can acquire the other stuff as you need it.

My recommendation is to not get too carried away with gadgets. Tell Santa you want an iPad and a Foreflight subscription and books. A lot of the things you can buy, like hand held wind meters, etc., aren't really needed.

-Aircraft to fit mission (we need more detail on future mission to recommend, but budget between $25K to $400K)
-Garmin 796 GPS
-iPad Mini with ForeFlight
-Stratus 2
-Lightspeed Zulu 2 headset (Or Bose A20)
-Ray ban Aviator sunglasses
-Leather Flight Jacket
-Large Money Clip

Just kidding (sort of...)

My recommendation is to not get too carried away with gadgets. Tell Santa you want an iPad and a Foreflight subscription and books. A lot of the things you can buy, like hand held wind meters, etc., aren't really needed.

Yup. People are retarded about flying trinkets nowadays. You don't really need much of anything. When I was a student I carried my headset and the keys to the plane, xc I added a mechanical ea6b, chart, afd, and paper flight plan. No fancy bag, carried it in hand. Bags are for ladies. Less is more, more will just slow you down.

money! dont take out loans. try to get all the money for your training beforehand. you dont want to do the 1 step forward 2 steps back. try to fly as much as you can

My suggestions? Make sure you can pass medical, then start studying for knowledge test. I used King and Bob Garders book along with ASA test prep. You will also need, besides the obvious money, to set aside time for studying and consistent lessons.

Should you desire, get a headset as soon as practical. Download FAA books (free) in PDF. You'll figure out what else you need. Check the for sale classifieds in this board for example good luck.

Great advice so far - thank you!

I thought I'd replied earlier to these, but I guess it's stuck in moderation somewhere.

Anyway, in terms of mission and already acquired items:

Medical: Already in-hand
Headset: Bose A20, thanks to a thoughtful girlfriend who supports my flying bug without hesitation.

Other than those things, I'm bare. I've contemplated the iPad or iPad mini. The way the comments so far point, it looks like that's the way to go. I wasn't sure if this would be a good idea now, as a student, or something I should delay getting until later on.

Mission: Personal hobby flying, sometimes for business - but not often. Most XC's will probably be of the $100 hamburger variety and quick trips to visit family and friends in different parts of Texas and Kansas (I'm in the OKC area). Therefore, I'll definitely be renting. No purchase imminent in my future!

Fortunately, I have the funds set aside to complete training beginning to end, and that's why I'm taking it all on now.

1. One good or preferably one or two excellent instructors. Gadgets come and go...but the person who teaches you makes it or breaks it. That said, the three items I wish I had gotten much earlier are:
2: A small kneeboard (Google ultimate kneeboard) with a solid copy of all the checklists and freqs on it. Used properly, (and I was NOT using it properly at first) a good set of checklists can take a lot of the workload off you, freeing up your brain to do all the other stuff you actually need to do...
3. A good headset. I use Lightspeed now but there are lots of good ones...but it's very hard to learn if you can't hear or understand well because of a lousy headset.
4. A small digital tape recorder or Go-Pro vid.

...YMMV....my suggestion...record ALL your early lessons and then make notes from them immediately afterwards. Helps a ton with the learning...

Good luck!-))

1. One good or preferably one or two excellent instructors. Gadgets come and go...but the person who teaches you makes it or breaks it. That said, the three items I wish I had gotten much earlier are:
2: A small kneeboard (Google ultimate kneeboard) with a solid copy of all the checklists and freqs on it. Used properly, (and I was NOT using it properly at first) a good set of checklists can take a lot of the workload off you, freeing up your brain to do all the other stuff you actually need to do...
3. A good headset. I use Lightspeed now but there are lots of good ones...but it's very hard to learn if you can't hear or understand well because of a lousy headset.
4. A small digital tape recorder or Go-Pro vid.

...YMMV....my suggestion...record ALL your early lessons and then make notes from them immediately afterwards. Helps a ton with the learning...

Good luck!-))

Ah - yes, I forgot to mention that I do have a GoPro (and appropriate mounts/cables) for recording the lessons and comms. I am hoping this is a valuable resource.

What are you doing for ground school?

Not quite sure yet. I know the FBO/instructor prefers and sells Jepp guides. So, I was thinking of going that route. Possibly grabbing a King Schools course to supplement, as I'm a visual learner. I know the options are varied.

Whatever your instructor suggests. And that's it. You'll figure out the rest as you go along. Seriously -- I've seen too many folks show up for lesson #1 with the aviation equivalent of all the junk Rene Russo had for her golf lesson with Kevin Costner in "Tin Cup".

Last edited:
I bought some stuff I didn't need early on. An iPad w/ ForeFlight for one. I didn't even use it for anything other than postulating post-license trips, learning the app, checking METAR's before heading to the airport, etc... until after I was signed off to solo-XC. I never even brought it with me until I was 5 months into my training.

I did bite the bullet and bought a nice headset. I flew with a non-ANR set on my first couple flights and borrowed my neighbors Bose for a flight and was like, hell yeah - that's money well spent. If a new set or something comes out, then those become your wife's or passengers.

I would also agree on getting your medical done before getting too far down the path. You don't absolutely have to have it until you are signed off to solo, but it would be a damn shame to find out you've got paperwork to do at the very least...or God forbid worse and you've got 20 hours under your belt. Just get that done ASAP.

I bought a variety of books, I bought the Sporty's DVD set which I thought was actually pretty good. I did my own ground school so I wanted to at least have something 'visual'.

I did online studying for my test using Sporty's Study Buddy ($9) and a free site @ www.exams4pilots.org/faatest.cgi. That's all you need to pass the written. If you can consistently make 90+ on a 60 question practice exam you are golden. No need to spend a bunch of money there.

I bought that same flashlight when after I did my first dual XC and knew the night XC was imminent. I keep in a very easy place to get to in my bag and although I haven't done a solo night flight since my dual night XC I know one will come up before I know it and having a good hand light is a must.

You'll definitely want your local paper sectional charts. That's what you'll be looking at when you do your checkride so get used to them. You'll also be expected to mark them up when planning XC's and the mock XC you'll have to plan for your checkride. It's nice to check your work with something like ForeFlight but get used to having the charts and once you get your PPL always keep charts of your route in the plane with you.

Other than that - Ron's advice is sound...'what your CFI suggests'. If you have disposable income you'll blow cash on odds and ends things you find you won't need. I bought 3 different bags until I finally found the 'one'. I also bought a Contour nFlightcam and recorded several flights during my PPL training.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Open Brain, headset, logbook.

Instructor will discuss other options.

And don't buy the recording gadgets before you've given the instructor the courtesy if asking if they wish to be recorded. Some may request Union Scale for being on-camera. Heh. Kidding, but not about asking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great advice so far - thank you!

I thought I'd replied earlier to these, but I guess it's stuck in moderation somewhere.

Anyway, in terms of mission and already acquired items:

Medical: Already in-hand
Headset: Bose A20, thanks to a thoughtful girlfriend who supports my flying bug without hesitation.

Other than those things, I'm bare. I've contemplated the iPad or iPad mini. The way the comments so far point, it looks like that's the way to go. I wasn't sure if this would be a good idea now, as a student, or something I should delay getting until later on.

Mission: Personal hobby flying, sometimes for business - but not often. Most XC's will probably be of the $100 hamburger variety and quick trips to visit family and friends in different parts of Texas and Kansas (I'm in the OKC area). Therefore, I'll definitely be renting. No purchase imminent in my future!

Fortunately, I have the funds set aside to complete training beginning to end, and that's why I'm taking it all on now.

You pretty much have everything you need.

I have a small spiral bound note book to write things down in (fuel, ATIS, start/stop times, quick sketch of an unfamiliar airport with runways labeled - if you ever talk to ATC you could use it for squawk codes, taxi instructions, etc. )

I see that you have the medical out of the way. That is a good thing. But, in general, one shouldn't rush into an AME unless you have checked to make sure that you will pass to avoid getting locked out of "no FAA medical required" options.

One thing that I got for my IR training is a binder called the practical organizer. It's somewhat gimmicky, but it allows you to organize notes and other materials when you are going through the program. They have one for the PPL as well.

The things I do have already (medical and headset) are a result of my attempts at flight training earlier on. I'm a huge fan of less clutter, even though I like gadgets overall. So, I hadn't planned on going out with a full arsenal of items right out of the gate, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that might come in handy at some point.

As far as recording the lessons, I did have the courtesy to check with the instructor first. Fortunately, he had no issues with me using that tool to learn.

In terms of gadgets to be used later on, either late in training or after PPL, many of you seem to favor the iPad and ForeFlight. Could you elaborate on this? As in, is it better to have an iPad or does and iPad mini make sense to have instead? With regard to ForeFlight, is that a standalone app, or something I'd need to buy an accessory to the iPad for in order to use it?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

iPad mini seems to be a better alternative to me. I say that having a full size iPad (while my non-flying wife has a mini)... the mini size just seems to be a little nicer (and not very much smaller). Unless you plan to use an external GPS, you'll want to get a cellular-capable iPad even if you don't plan to use mobile broadband... you need cellular-capable in order to get internal GPS.

As to ForeFlight... I have both that and WingX; I prefer FF for planning on the ground but I prefer WingX for in-flight use. Since both have a 30 day free trial, I would suggest you wait until you're soloing, then trial both of those (and also Garmin Pilot).

With regard to ForeFlight, is that a standalone app, or something I'd need to buy an accessory to the iPad for in order to use it? It's not clear what you're asking. FF, WX, and GP are all stand alone apps -- free ($1.00 for WX) to install, but they have subscription fees following their 30 day trial. Each of these has external accessory (GPS, AHRS, ADS-B) devices available but if you pick any one box, it only works with one of these three apps -- GP and FF each have only one specific box, and WX picks up the rest of them.

Talking about flight planning tools is really really REALLY putting the cart before the horse.

You need to know how to do everything manually so you can function when your electronic gizmo doesn't work. And that's all you're going to do through solo and maybe through the checkride.

Focusing on the stuff is an error. You can fly (especially early on) with very little -- borrowed headset, FBO phone or computer, small doodle pad or Post-Its and a pencil. You'll need a local chart fairly soon, but not for the first lesson.

You will NOT be a better pilot with a fancy flight bag or the hot new iPad app any more than you will with a set of epaulets. Quite the opposite if it excludes focusing on actual issues.

In terms of gadgets to be used later on, either late in training or after PPL, many of you seem to favor the iPad and ForeFlight. Could you elaborate on this? As in, is it better to have an iPad or does and iPad mini make sense to have instead?

I think this is a personal preference issue. If you want to mount it on the panel or on the yoke, then I think the mini may be the way to go. I, however, use a full sized Ipad. I just rest it in my lap, or in the seat next to me. If I have a passenger, I just ask them to hold it until I need it.

With regard to ForeFlight, is that a standalone app, or something I'd need to buy an accessory to the iPad for in order to use it?

Foreflight is a stand alone app that incorporates charts, weather information, and a large database of FBO and other information. If you get an IPad with built in 3G/LTE, the IPad will have a GPS chip in it such that it can show your location on the chart. If you get a wifi only IPad, then you will need an external GPS in order to have it show your location on the charts. If you don't care about it showing your location, then no GPS capability is necessary. You can use the foreflight for weather briefing, and flight planning without any GPS ability.

I bought an 8.5 x 11 aluminum clipboard and then put large velcro (the soft side) strips on the back so it would not slide off my lap. It is bigger and easier to deal with than a knee board. I then made a nice flight plan sheet with all the local freq. pre-printed and large areas for notes and runway diagrams. I've used this on every flight.

I also bought a 20 cent suction cup to stick on the window which holds a pencil.

The first thing you will be doing is learning how to control the plane and to land. You won't have to worry about flight planning, or navigation. So, foreflight, Wing X, etc. are completely useless for that phase of training. You might find it entertaining to play with, and plan hypothetical trips. I do. No harm in that. But I would really focus on doing it all by hand at first using a plotter and the E6B, and paper charts. Once you can do it all by hand without any issues, then you can take the short cut of foreflight. There is a good reason to do it by hand. Foreflight cuts out some of the steps that you need to learn for your written exam, and possibly your oral exam. In particular, you need to uderstand course corrections for wind direction, deviation, and variance. Deviation and variance are different, and you need to know what each are and how to properly account for each. If you use foreflight, you won't get that practice, and you will screw it up later. This is just one example. There are probably others that other people might be able to point out.

I'd just buy one of those King school kits with a flight bag that is filled with books and crap. It will have all the plotters and trinkets you need. I don't even think I used an E6B on my PPL checkride.

It looks like the smart thing is basically to go with headphones and logbook in hand for a while, along with whatever study materials I can grab or that the instructor recommends.

As for the iPad/iPad mini and apps, looks like that's a purchase to be made later on for good use.

A lot of good advice and insight here, so it's much appreciated. I guess I'll tell the family to put a few books, a kneeboard and some charts on my Christmas list, unless you folks can think of anything else you'd want under the tree! :D

You can get these for free as PDF, but the ASA prints the common FAA books fairly cheaply if you're just looking for things for people to buy you for Christmas.

You'll likely need the Airplane Flying Handbook right away. Maybe the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowldege.

But that's really a question for your instructor.

I'm personally a big fan of Rod Machado, but his books cost three times what the ASA reprints do (and as I said, you can get them for free). Some folks seriously dislike his humor, but I've found he can explain anything.

It looks like the smart thing is basically to go with headphones and logbook in hand for a while, along with whatever study materials I can grab or that the instructor recommends.
You want to spend $400+ on a good headset before you even know for sure if you're going to like flight training? I'd recommend against that. Just use one of the school's loaner/rental headsets until you're sure. Really, the only thing you need to bring to Lesson 1 is yourself, your proof of US citizenship, and means of payment -- whatever else you need immediately (like a logbook) you can take care of when you show up. Beyond that, don't start now buying books or equipment your instructor isn't going to want you to use -- s/he will tell you what course materials they use at that school.

You want to spend $400+ on a good headset before you even know for sure if you're going to like flight training? I'd recommend against that. Just use one of the school's loaner/rental headsets until you're sure. Really, the only thing you need to bring to Lesson 1 is yourself, your proof of US citizenship, and means of payment -- whatever else you need immediately (like a logbook) you can take care of when you show up. Beyond that, don't start now buying books or equipment your instructor isn't going to want you to use -- s/he will tell you what course materials they use at that school.

That's solid advice. I've attempted to begin some flight training over the past 10 years, so I already know that I love it. It's just that now I have the time and resources to actually can start the training and end it with a PPL without interruption.

As I stated previously, the only things I have right now are my medical and a good headset, thanks to a girlfriend who has been eager to encourage my passion. I think the initial route to take regarding equipment and books is exactly what you suggest. However, I'm not opposed to handing out gift ideas to the family (or keeping things in mind for myself) that might come in mighty handy for me later on in training - or even after I obtain the PPL.

If you're on a "have to eat, too" budget as I was, check eBay for headsets... I bought a Sigtronics ANR set for $125, barely used... and the noise cancellation is really nice. As good as a Bose? Hell, no...but much more reasonable, and a great headset that will last me a while.

I have a regular size iPad with Foreflight, and it's a terrific tool. When you're doing your x-c planning on paper charts, you can double check your dead reckoning and wind corrections against what it says.. I've rarely seen them differ more than a degree. If they let you fly with it (my CFI wouldn't allow it til my second x-c), you'll find it takes the place of all kinds of paper in the cockpit. (AFD, sectionals, etc, etc.)

I initially bought the $99 Dual to bring in the signal, but recently upgraded that to the Stratus2, for weather and traffic. The Status isn't cheap, :no: though, so that is something you can hold off on until your know that all this "boring holes in the sky" stuff becomes a way of life

Good luck with your training! :)

I bought an 8.5 x 11 aluminum clipboard and then put large velcro (the soft side) strips on the back so it would not slide off my lap. It is bigger and easier to deal with than a knee board. I then made a nice flight plan sheet with all the local freq. pre-printed and large areas for notes and runway diagrams. I've used this on every flight.

I also bought a 20 cent suction cup to stick on the window which holds a pencil.

I like everything about this post. I would substitute the velcro for weather stripping with adhesive backing for the clipboard.

You want to spend $400+ on a good headset before you even know for sure if you're going to like flight training? I'd recommend against that. Just use one of the school's loaner/rental headsets until you're sure.
Reading comprehension really isn't your forte, is it, Ron...

It sounds like you have a good handle on what you need, Drew, and already have it. I agree with learning to navigate the old fashioned way, but if somebody wants to get you a gift, the iPad with Foreflight (or similar) would still be nice. If you have the money and time to really pursue your PPL, it won't be long until you will be using the iPad on a regular basis.

You have received lots of advice already. Do what you feel about it. I have a little different recommendation: Go wherever you will take instruction and loiter. No not for a couple of hours, make it a week or so. Plan to be there at different times of day and days of the week. watch what is going on. Meet the people around the airport and talk to them. Be sure to include the line boys, the mechanics, bldg maintenance people-everyone. (Be especially sure to include the FBO secretary) Have a close look at the aircraft around, find out the best close by for a sandwich and talk to everyone. Don't have time for all this ? Go buy a boat and a K-mart fishing pole.

The best part of flying is yet to come. These new acquaintences will become the background for a stimulating learning experience which will soon be filled out with other people such as your instructor and others. Another possibility, depending on where you train is to visit the control tower. It is not unusual and within workload constraints, you will be welcomed. Don't forget, it may be one of these folks that you will need and want to communicate with in the near future. Trinkets will wait. In this holiday season, ask Santa to grant you the time to become comfortable in this new environment.

Back