before you complain again about 100LL price

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
read this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...ing-emergency-landing/ar-AAvdWdc?ocid=spartandhp

"A Canadian man may be charged $17,450 after his drunken and disorderly behavior caused the airplane to make an emergency return to the airport while accompanied by two F-15 U.S. Air Force jets."

"The nearly $18,000 fine factors in airplane fuel, landing fees, overtime salaries for Sunwing employees and hotel costs for the 170 stranded passengers."

the dude is being asked to pay 17.5K and he didn't even fly that thing :happydance:

Canada will also charge you for SAR if you file a flight plan for your return from hunting or fishing camp, but you get weathered in with no way to call and cancel the flight plan (which is why you filed it a week ago to start with).

Good! He'll end up not paying or get out of it somehow but he should pay, and all others too. Not fair to those passengers behaving either.

So he goes into bankruptcy,and goes to dry out,thinking all will be forgiven. Good try.

b/w ... I have always wondered.. how much fuel does those fighters burn?

I remember seeing a documentary years ago where they said that an F-15 could burn through all it's fuel in 8 minutes if they kept full afterburners on!

b/w ... I have always wondered.. how much fuel does those fighters burn?
Like anything in aviation: it depends. The number most recently quoted was about $25k/hour per F-15 flight hour total cost. Just fuel? Well again it depends on what you are doing but for a scramble you'd burn through nearly 4k# of fuel getting to altitude quickly and they probably flew for another 1.5 hours or so. Figure that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 gallons of jet fuel per jet if they didn't have to go to the tanker.

I remember seeing a documentary years ago where they said that an F-15 could burn through all it's fuel in 8 minutes if they kept full afterburners on!
If we are low altitude that's about right - you actually wouldn't burn through all the fuel onboard, but you are burning fuel out of the feed tanks so fast that the fuel pumps can't keep enough gas in them to keep the engines running. Not uncommon in the sim to take off, stay low with the burners lit and hear "bingo fuel, bingo fuel" a few mins after takeoff - pull the throttles out of AB, let the feed tanks fill back up and off ya go. Fuel flow is about 65,000 lbs/hour per engine at sea level in full grunt.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
The Australian cruise ship should take notice and deal with the rowdy passengers they had to put to shore the same way.

Like anything in aviation: it depends. The number most recently quoted was about $25k/hour per F-15 flight hour total cost. Just fuel? Well again it depends on what you are doing but for a scramble you'd burn through nearly 4k# of fuel getting to altitude quickly and they probably flew for another 1.5 hours or so. Figure that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 gallons of jet fuel per jet if they didn't have to go to the tanker.

If we are low altitude that's about right - you actually wouldn't burn through all the fuel onboard, but you are burning fuel out of the feed tanks so fast that the fuel pumps can't keep enough gas in them to keep the engines running. Not uncommon in the sim to take off, stay low with the burners lit and hear "bingo fuel, bingo fuel" a few mins after takeoff - pull the throttles out of AB, let the feed tanks fill back up and off ya go. Fuel flow is about 65,000 lbs/hour per engine at sea level in full grunt.

The F-4 was even worse. After 6 to 9 minutes with the burners on and you were bingo fuel AND on fire. All sorts of tail cone issues.

I always thought that this would almost be a better deterrent to most people than legal trouble.. if you cause a flight to be delayed because you can't be a responsible adult, then you fit the bill for the issues caused. Frankly, I'm surprised it only came out to $18K or whatever

one crap-ton per hour. They are turbo jets, not turbo fans.

From my understanding, they are actually turbo fans, just with a very low bypass ratio - in other words, they're mostly jet and just a little fan.

You can see how they compare here.

I always thought that this would almost be a better deterrent to most people than legal trouble.. if you cause a flight to be delayed because you can't be a responsible adult, then you fit the bill for the issues caused. Frankly, I'm surprised it only came out to $18K or whatever
Agree! However since that's much too close to having to take responsibility for one's actions, it'll never fly in our country. :(

From my understanding, they are actually turbo fans, just with a very low bypass ratio - in other words, they're mostly jet and just a little fan.

Great link. I actually know the difference, but I just assumed these are turbojets. I guess it makes sense that it would just be a turbofan with a low bypass ratio.

If we are talking about F-15s, you are correct.

Back