Been out of training a few years...what are the de facto IFR training materials?

kenjr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KenJr
I recall reading in on my flying rags that the IFR written is undergoing some changes...not sure when those are hitting the streets but I'm thinking about starting my IFR training at some point early in the year...depends a lot on if I decide to buy into a new parnership but either way would like to start some reading to start sharpening the knife.

Just looking for whatever the good books are and then whatever the best test simulations are right now that are addressing new topics, format, etc... that are being covered on the exam.

Ideally, I'd like to get the written done and then do an accelerated IFR with someone like Capt. Ron or the likes.

Thanks in advance.

I recall reading in on my flying rags that the IFR written is undergoing some changes...not sure when those are hitting the streets but I'm thinking about starting my IFR training at some point early in the year...depends a lot on if I decide to buy into a new parnership but either way would like to start some reading to start sharpening the knife.

Just looking for whatever the good books are and then whatever the best test simulations are right now that are addressing new topics, format, etc... that are being covered on the exam.

Ideally, I'd like to get the written done and then do an accelerated IFR with someone like Capt. Ron or the likes.

Thanks in advance.

Go to www.asa2fly.com. Click on Resources, then on Updates. You will see the "new" questions for this year and last year. The FAA does not publish the questions and I have no idea where ASA (and other providers) get their information.

Bob Gardner

A lot of free stuff available on the web, good you tube videos, free pubs at faa.gov, ton of web sites. AOPA has a few free videos that are good, various commercial providers like King, AOAP, etc.

I tried the reading route and just couldn't learn from it. I learn much better hearing and watching so I bought the King's online course. They have a 20% off sale going right now so I think it came out to 220.00 or so. I highly recommend it, there is so much more that is explained in the course than is taught in the books.

yeah i'll probably go that route too. I had the sporty's video stuff for PPL but didn't find it that useful. The few things I got hung up on I just dug around on the internet, youtube videos and got that squared away.

Try this. They have tons of great documentation and videos, all focused on real life IFR flying. And of course learning at home with "real" ATC makes a huge difference.

Back