Been along time but she is back in the air

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
My pilot log reflects that the last time I flew 77C was May 31, 2007, when I dropped it off at the shop at AK28 for what I thought would be a relatively normal annual.

Until today :blueplane::happydance:

Having tired of flying rental 172s (no offense to anyone) and a rental Champ I never really fell in love with, I decided I would have my plane repaired in time for summer :rofl: Actually it has been a long process, from finding metal in the engine, researching what to do about it, pulling it and shipping it down to Tom Downey, getting the parts he needed for a field overhaul from a couple of different places, shipping it back up, trouble shooting some corrosion and other airframe issues, overhauling the landing gear, finding and fixing some other problems with the accessories, some delays caused by my personal life (I got married last fall), taking the opportunity for some upgrades during the downtime...

Now, in addition to an overhauled bottom, I have a new ignition wiring harness, brand new exhausts (custom), brand new airbox (custom), overhauled carb, overhauled starter, overhauled magnetos, overhauled oil cooler, a lot of new baffling, BAS inertia reel shoulder harnesses, new double-puck Cleveland brakes and wheels (on a field approval), new Halon fire extinguisher, repaired door handle spring, "overhauled" spring gear legs, new brake lines, new battery, some airframe re-rigging, overhauled tailwheel assembly, some new switches and wiring repairs to the lights...lessee...probably something I'm leaving out without the airframe and engine logs in front of me :crazy: As they were wrapping up last week my altimeter failed the pitot-static test putting us another week behind :mad3: The quote to overhaul it was only marginally cheaper than a new one, so I added another 0.8 AMU to the bill to avoid any more delays. Still have to replace the door seals which I will do myself, and touch up some paint here and there. And still waiting for the ACK 406mhz slide-in replacement for my current 121.5 ELT to be approved by the FAA.

Finally, FINALLY today the stars aligned and I drove to Fairbanks to do the test flight and start the break - in period. I imagine that anyone taking the first flight after major maintenance has butterflies in their stomach, and I was no exception. Plus, I really hadn't had any taildragger time lately and was afraid I would be a little rusty. After talking to Mark and Nathan at Chena Marina Air Service (getting to be best buddies with them by now) I loaded my stuff and started a long, detailed preflight to check everything out. Found a missing bolt access plug button, otherwise everything looked good. Fueled her up to about 35 gallons and was ready to go.

AK28 is a ridiculously long gravel strip, rather narrow but 4700 feet running the length of the adjacent float pond. It's a private strip located within the FAI class D surface area and TRSA. I called tower with the ATIS and requested a climb in a "hold" over the nearby off-field VOR then an orbit at 5500 MSL (about 5000 agl) directly over FAI. They were very accommodating once I told them it was for an engine break-in flight. Nice to be over a big honkin' field of asphalt and concrete for these times :nono: Back taxied, did a moving runup on the way because of the gravel, played with my new brakes a bit to get used to them, then stopped at the end and ran through the rest of my checklist. I couldn't put it off any longer so put in 20 degrees of flaps and lined up for the go.

A smooth acceleration and a tail-low attitude saw me clear the ground in less than 250 feet, though I held it in ground effect for a while. Like riding a bicycle it all came back to me (quick feet quick feet) and the takeoff was fine. At 75mph I let her climb. Yeehaw! (And you don't hear that much from Cessna cockpits ;) ) 1200+ fpm climb at 2550rpm at 75mph. That'll do :yes: Of course my prop pitch is 51 instead of the standard 53...but still. Stronger than I remember it. Much stronger.

Turned right, did one and a half circuits at the VOR then I was at my assigned altitude and cruised the four miles to FAI to start my orbit. The plane had maintained a 1000fpm climb even at 90mph IAS the whole time. Crossed mid field and did a lazy pattern for about 25 minutes watching the arrivals and departures below. FAI has an interesting combination of traffic - helicopters, DC-3 and DC-4 (and a lot of other interesting models of) freight dogs, part 135 jets and turboprops heading out to the bush and the north slope, military traffic, and lots of little guys like me of course.

Then...rut ro...a fine mist of oil on the windscreen! I was within easy gliding distance of Chena Marina and of course right over FAI so I watched it a minute. Oil temps and pressure were right where they needed to be and no abnormal noises or power problems...is it really oil? Could it be moisture? Well, not that many clouds. Cr*p! I requested a spiral down back into the class D then direct to AK28 only two miles away. OK, here comes the first tailwheel landing in a while...nailed the airspeed (65 IAS over "the numbers" - or in this case the cones) and other than a slight bounce did OK.

We found the problem to be a leaky crankshaft oil seal behind the prop flange. This is a split seal so it was relatively easy to remove without having to decowl the airplane or remove the prop. Guys removed it and the retaining spring, cleaned it up, then reinstalled it with new sealing compound. Cleaned up the windshield and went through a ten-minute runup on the ground with no more leaks. Theorized that the oil seal retaining spring had partially slipped off at some point during engine reassembly though we'll never be sure since removing the seal usually flips off the spring before you can visualize it.

Went back up and spent another hour or so orbiting International, then did a couple of touch and goes on the gravel ski strip there before returning to Chena Marina. No more problems, everything was running great. Will be back on Friday to put another hour or so on it above the airport again and then - if everything works out - I will be bringing her home in time for summer :smile:

IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG

Last edited:
Sweet. I know the feeling.

Congrats, and a great writeup! So smart doing a breakin over the airport. Too many don't.

Ah Richard thats got to be liking seeing a long lost love! Congrats. Do you have any money left to fly?:D LOL

Great going.. I remember doing the "first flight" break in after an engine rebuild in the Pawnee.. It was summer.. so the Mech said climb high to get to cooler air. So there I sat at 12K MSL for the next 2.5 hours running 30-40nm race tracks in the valley.

Way to stick with it! You should have it good to go for a long time now.

just thought you should know that i think that bad-girl is a piece of beauty!

your writeup reminded me of homeward bound. haha. no but really best of luck with the next break-in and getting it home!

If you didn't like the 172s you should have rented 182s. Much more comfortable. :D Glad your bird is back in the air.

Flew it another hour above FAI today. Took a couple of pics from 5000 agl during my orbit- Fairbanks International, and Chena Marina Airport. The gravel strip is next to the float pond.

IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0727.JPG

Afterwards came another oil change and filter check then I flew her home this evening, finally. We may make our first $100 halibut burger run tomorrow, to Talkeetna to see friends :D

Tied down in her spot at home. Note the lack of leaves on the deciduous trees. Still early spring here. Nice day though ;)

IMG_0729.JPG

Last edited:
Going to Talkeetna today? I was thinking about heading up that way with the Mrs. tomorrow as long as this head cold clears up a bit. I love flying up around Fairbanks, lots to look at. The temp runway at FAI is a bit confusing though, espcially on a 5 mile final on the ILS to 19R. Nice airplane by the way, I too am sick of rental 172's.

Good News,,,,,, She is running again. No excuses for that seal, I thought it was in correctly. but you never know until it is run and leak checked.

Over 2 years WoW! Have fun with it..

HOORAY! I was getting ready to send a PM to ask about your plane.

Man, that's great news for you! Now go make up for all that flying you missed in 77C.

Good News,,,,,, She is running again. No excuses for that seal, I thought it was in correctly. but you never know until it is run and leak checked.

Over 2 years WoW! Have fun with it..

Ran it 2.9 hours on Saturday across the length of the Denali Highway to land at Paxson for a break, then the return...still running strong. Forgot what a gas hog it is at low altitude buzzing along on a cool day at 2500 MSL :eek: On the way back climbed to 9500 and cruised at 65% or so and made it without having to reroute for some more go-juice. Ran smoooooooooooth up at altitude.

If a leaky nose seal and some tweaks to the timing is all I'm in for, I'd say we should both be happy :smile: Most of the problems I've encountered have been with the accessories which of course had nothing to do with you :drink:

Last edited:
Problems? I'd say after this long you shouldn't have any problems. It's not like you've been a problem customer.

Ran it 2.9 hours on Saturday across the length of the Denali Highway to land at Paxson for a break, then the return...still running strong. Forgot what a gas hog it is at low altitude buzzing along on a cool day at 2500 MSL :eek: On the way back climbed to 9500 and cruised at 65% or so and made it without having to reroute for some more go-juice. Ran smoooooooooooth up at altitude.

If a leaky nose seal and some tweaks to the timing is all I'm in for, I'd say we should both be happy :smile: Most of the problems I've encountered have been with the accessories which of course had nothing to do with you :drink:

I understand that you met Roger (Ram-Jet)? the short little guy that are my eyes and ears at Chena Marina, he is MR Super Cub and lives at the Denali air strip near the Park. He is the one who got your gear legs expodited by North Sound Aviation and who is the one who kept me informed as to what was happening with your 170. He's a great guy, very knowledgable about flying in Ak. he's been doing it for 50 years.

Have fun with the 170, and fly it safe, it should be a great aircraft with all the new equipment you've put on it.

I'm glad I could help.

I did meet Roger. Nice guy. I turned my back for a second and when I turned around again he was gone :frown3: Want to meet him again - which I'm sure I will.

He's the guy had the bad 180 accident at 76S, yes?

I did meet Roger. Nice guy. I turned my back for a second and when I turned around again he was gone :frown3: Want to meet him again - which I'm sure I will.

He's the guy had the bad 180 accident at 76S, yes?
Yes it was a 180HP supercub (PA-18)

He is up for the summer, at his cabin on Denali Air's strip near the park. if he is there, so will the super cub he flys.

I'm sure he will be happy to see you there.

His cabin is a "D" log home between the highway and the strip, at mid field.
Pay him a visit.

Attachments

• P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    710 KB · Views: 16
Back