Beechcraft Skipper

Is it possible to upgrade the engine to something better?

I have time in the Skipper and Sport and Sundowner. Like I told my friends when I was flight instructing if you never flown a Skipper then don’t say it’s a Tomahawk. I also flew with a student that had his on Tomahawk and I was always think how much better the Skipper cabin was and how it handled better. When building the Skipper Beech fix the all the bad, Piper got wavers for the Tomahawk. Beech would build ¾ of a Skipper a day; Piper would turn out 12 Tomahawks a day. The Skipper didn’t really spin it was more o a spiral and we all know how bad the Tomahawk would spin.

The Sport and Sundowner may be slow but they are cheap to own. I’m working on some wheel faring for them.

If you look at the thickness of the wing skin and spar they are built like a truck. I had 2 friends that crashed on a hill in their Musketeer and they told me afterward that if they would have been in a Cessna they would have died. The wing spar of the Beech kept them from sliding down the hill side after hitting a tree, the Cessna wing would have sheared off.

Wow, you need a good set of "hip waders" to read this post. :rolleyes:

If you look at the thickness of the wing skin and spar they are built like a truck. I had 2 friends that crashed on a hill in their Musketeer and they told me afterward that if they would have been in a Cessna they would have died. The wing spar of the Beech kept them from sliding down the hill side after hitting a tree, the Cessna wing would have sheared off.

Fortunately I don't purchase aircraft based on how well they survive the crash.

Is it possible to upgrade the engine to something better?
Almost anything is possible, but since there's no STC in the FAA file for putting a bigger engine on a Skipper (like there is to put an O-320 on the Grumman AA-1-series), it would require a lot of resources including time, money, and DER talent.

I would think it a nice little airplane for training or putting around the patch. I wouldn't go out of my way for one or pay any more than for a 150 or Tomahawk, though.

I would think it a nice little airplane for training or putting around the patch. I wouldn't go out of my way for one or pay any more than for a 150 or Tomahawk, though.

Skippers have been pricier due to the Beech premium.

The interior is very comfortable and very Beech.

But it's a performance dog. Fine for students, but a student will quickly grow out of it.

If you want to go that slow, buy something light that burns half the fuel and needs 1/10th the maintenance.

I agree, fun for a little local putput. Not worth more than $23k at the outside for a mint version IMHO, and that's probably overstating the value.

I agree, fun for a little local putput. Not worth more than $23k at the outside for a mint version IMHO, and that's probably overstating the value.

If someone wants to puttputt, they should get an airplane made of fabric with windows and/or doors that can be removed before flight.

:yesnod:

If someone wants to puttputt, they should get an airplane made of fabric with windows and/or doors that can be removed before flight.

:yesnod:

Not necessarily. Fun aircraft come in numerous shapes and sizes, and are made out of all sorts of materials.

You should always look at how well built the aircraft is. Remember most of these are getting real old 30 to 40 years. The thinner the aluminum the more stop drilling or replacing you’ll have to do.

Yes I have, I did own a 1975 Sierra and 1967 Baron 56TC. I have been to the Beech factory at Wichita, KS‎ and Liberal KS when it was open. That’s why I believe they are the best.

Back