Beechcraft Sierra

Armageddon Aviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Alon Smolarski
I would love to get your opinions about the Beechcraft Sierra ( 1981 model ).

Any known maintenance issues or flaws ?

Any particular flying characteristics ?

I read that the materials inside the wing ( honeycomb ) are joined by a special resin...how well will it stand the test of time ?

Thanks in advance for your comments...

Beechcraft_C24R_Sierra,_Private_JP6173875.jpg

It's roomy, solidly built, and the slowest in its 200HP retractable class. Handling is kind of truck-like compared to its competitors, but if you need a large cabin and doors on both sides, it's the choice for you. Landings are a bit different than others in its class, but nothing you can't get used to, although you'll probably never make "greasers" consistently. OTOH, the landing gear system is quite robust, and takes a lot of the spinal shock out of plunked on landings.

They tend to be priced low in their class because their lack of speed (my fixed gear Tiger is significantly faster on 20 less HP) makes them less popular than their competitors. That also makes them popular with some undercapitalized flight schools needing a complex trainer, so you may find many which have a lot of hours/landings on them and less that show-quality interiors/paint -- which also makes the cheaper.

Beech has a reputation for having the most expensive spare parts, but never having owned one, I can't say whether that reputation is justified.

I've posted this before, but since it refers to a safety issue with this model it bears repeating. Let's be careful out there.

NTSB Identification: BS012345
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, April 1, 2006 in Columbia, MO
Aircraft: Beech C24R (Sierra) Registration: N222SL
Injuries: 2 Uninjured
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On April 1, 2006, at 1231 CST, a Beech C24R (Sierra), N222SL, piloted by a private pilot, was damaged during an in-flight collision north of Columbia, Missouri. The personal flight was being conducted under 14 CFR Part 91 on an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. Whiteman approach observed a large radar return believed to be a flock of migratory waterfowl. The controller informed the pilot of the radar return, which was located immediately north of the aircraft flight path and was moving in an E-SE direction. The pilot acknowledged and immediately afterward requested a course deviation to the south to avoid a cumulus build up. The controller approved deviations as-needed and subsequently informed the pilot that the radar return had also altered course and was now at his 6 o-clock position and approximately 2 miles. The pilot informed Whiteman approach that he was going to make a 90 deg turn momentarily to “take a look”. The airplane turned to the west, then immediately returned to a southerly heading. At 1224 The pilot confirmed he had visual contact with a very large flock of Canadian geese at his same altitude. At 1227 Whiteman approach informed the pilot that the radar return appeared to be overtaking the aircraft and requested the pilot to “say airspeed”. The pilot responded that he was increasing power and asked for a descent. Whiteman approved altitude and course deviations as-needed. The aircraft was observed to descend but no appreciable speed increase was noted. At 1231 the aircraft was struck in the empennage and trailing edge of the left wing by an estimated 7 geese, damaging the rudder and left aileron. The pilot executed an emergency landing at Columbia MO (COU) airport. The pilot and one passenger were uninjured. The flight departed Kansas City Downtown Airport (MKC) at1015. The intended destination was St. Louis Spirit Airport (SUS).

I've owned one, it was a good airplane. Speed is 130-135 knots on 10gph.

Lots of room, very comfortable, nice having 2 front doors and a very large baggage door.

Forum member "Challenged" currently owns and flies one.

I've posted this before, but since it refers to a safety issue with this model it bears repeating. Let's be careful out there.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

Well done.

My opinion of the Sierra is...well...less positive than Jeff's.

FWIW - I'd much rather fly a Sierra than an Arrow or 172RG

But I'd take a 182RG, Commanche, Bonanza, Mooney, or basically any other retract over the above.

Thank you all for the info...

Any major AD's, flaws or maintenance issues ?

On April 1, 2006, at 1231 CST, a Beech C24R (Sierra), N222SL, piloted by a private pilot, was damaged during an in-flight collision north of Columbia, Missouri. The personal flight was being conducted under 14 CFR Part 91 on an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. Whiteman approach observed a large radar return believed to be a flock of migratory waterfowl. The controller informed the pilot of the radar return, which was located immediately north of the aircraft flight path and was moving in an E-SE direction. The pilot acknowledged and immediately afterward requested a course deviation to the south to avoid a cumulus build up. The controller approved deviations as-needed and subsequently informed the pilot that the radar return had also altered course and was now at his 6 o-clock position and approximately 2 miles. The pilot informed Whiteman approach that he was going to make a 90 deg turn momentarily to “take a look”. The airplane turned to the west, then immediately returned to a southerly heading. At 1224 The pilot confirmed he had visual contact with a very large flock of Canadian geese at his same altitude. At 1227 Whiteman approach informed the pilot that the radar return appeared to be overtaking the aircraft and requested the pilot to “say airspeed”. The pilot responded that he was increasing power and asked for a descent. Whiteman approved altitude and course deviations as-needed. The aircraft was observed to descend but no appreciable speed increase was noted. At 1231 the aircraft was struck in the empennage and trailing edge of the left wing by an estimated 7 geese, damaging the rudder and left aileron. The pilot executed an emergency landing at Columbia MO (COU) airport. The pilot and one passenger were uninjured. The flight departed Kansas City Downtown Airport (MKC) at1015. The intended destination was St. Louis Spirit Airport (SUS).

Really funny, Jeff. :rolleyes:

Isn't that why there's a rear window and rear view mirror in a C-150? :D

Thank you all for the info...

Any major AD's, flaws or maintenance issues ?

Corrosion is a problem with the landing gear housings, and with the main wing spar behind the fuel tanks, and at the main spar splice in front of the aileron. Any corrosion at all in the spar areas mentioned is virtually impossible to economically fix due to the bonded & riveted construction, and the lack of access points to repair it.

Nose wheel collapses are very common due to the lack of shock absorption in the rubber biscuit cushioned landing gear, and the nose heaviness of the plane.

Parts are very expensive due to it being a Beech product first, and the tiny fleet size compared to the other brands.

You are getting a cheap retractable gear plane for those reasons.

My comment on this thread is, "Did any of you notice the call-number?"

That's awesome! LX-WOW!

Back