Beech V35 Midair Breakup

Gryder was not kind to the pilot on his most recent video. Guys family suffers a huge loss and then someone says a few not-so-nice things about the pilot. Not the time or forum for that.
That’s his M.O.

The guy is a moron and has mental problems. Do yourself and everyone else a favor: stop watching his content.
cuz I don't endorse moral hazards and the offender wouldn't pay me to have it done. ;)
how did you get an airworthiness return to service with intentional non-compliance of an A.D. ?

...how did you get an airworthiness return to service with intentional non-compliance of an A.D. ?
You can comply with the AD just due to low hours/lack of 100 hour inspections not requiring any further action...I'm assuming that's what he meant by "not comply", as in not falling for the fear/hype and ALWAYS getting the inspection as some have.

You can comply with the AD just due to low hours/lack of 100 hour inspections not requiring any further action...I'm assuming that's what he meant by "not comply", as in not falling for the fear/hype and ALWAYS getting the inspection as some have.
Quite the assumption. I just take people at their word, at least I try to…

Good find, but that report points to imbalances in the rigging causing flutter. Granted there was a ruddervator involved.
It’s not the only one. Also not the one I was looking for, the 2002 AD changed the ruddervator balance requirements to a much narrower range than previously prescribed. At least in part because a guy had a flutter event with the ruddervator inside of, but at the very aft end of the factory balance requirement. Actual cause was determined by NTSB as “pilot error” since the guy was flying through light turbulence above the POH turbulence penetration speed (but inside the green arc). The NTSB trail on these events leads me to believe the V tail is undoubtedly more sensitive to balance and condition of control surfaces than the straight.

I fly a V tail, I’m not worried about the tail ripping off. I do slow down in turbulence and I do keep a close eye on the feathers every preflight.

Well, frankly, I think Beech missed the mark with the V-tail Bonanza. Now, had they set out to design a forked-tail lawyer killer, they might have avoided a lot of bad press.
Already plenty of two spinner lawyer killers on the market.

That’s his M.O.

The guy is a moron and has mental problems. Do yourself and everyone else a favor: stop watching his content.

how did you get an airworthiness return to service with intentional non-compliance of an A.D. ?
Gryder shouldn’t be allowed around anything sharper than a Twinkie without adult supervision.

Neither did Scotty's 210.
So! What is the relevance to this discussion? Any airplane can break someplace. Are you suggesting that the C-210 has a similar rate of breakup to the V-tails prior to the AD? If so, lets see you data.

So! What is the relevance to this discussion? Any airplane can break someplace. Are you suggesting that the C-210 has a similar rate of breakup to the V-tails prior to the AD? If so, lets see you data.
Not at all. It was a sarcastic response to a previous comment that Crossfield's crash was some how relevant to the V-tail issue.

Andy Rooney once said he hated to talk to doctors at cocktail parties. He worried that they didn't know any more about medicine than they did the other stuff they bloviated about.

As a one-time V35B owner, I feel the same about this thread. Some of you have no idea what you're talking about.

Not at all. It was a sarcastic response to a previous comment that Crossfield's crash was some how relevant to the V-tail issue.
But I didn't comment on Crossfield's accident in the post you responded to. So you sarcasm is misdirected.

But I didn't comment on Crossfield's accident in the post you responded to. So you sarcasm is misdirected.
It wasn't directed at you, sheesh. It was an addition to your statement about straight-tail Bos.

Beechcraft was TOTALLY complacent about the breakup problem......so was the American Bonanza Society. Then, the president of the Bonanza Societies "V" tail disintegrated..........and finally, Beech made a strengthening kit. The straight-tail Debonaire is a MUICH better design

Do you have specifics on the "the president of the Bonanza Societies "V" tail disintegrated". I have been an ABS member since 1980 and don't recall ever losing a president of the ABS. In 1979, there was a 60 Minutes TV show in Dec of 1979. There were also articles in Aviation Consumer and Flying magazine noting the significant difference of in flight breakups when the V tail version was compared to the conventional tail versions. I recall that in 1984, the president of the ABS requested the FAA to conduct an engineering study. This study eventually led to Beechcraft conducting flight tests and developing a SB to add the leading edge cuff. This was later incorporated in an FAA AD. The AD limited the V tail speed until the modifications were accomplished.

Do you have specifics on the "the president of the Bonanza Societies "V" tail disintegrated". I
The nearest I know of is a close friend of ABS president Donald L. Monday crashed in 1984 in a V-Tail breakup. It caused him to change his (and the ABS's) mind on the V-tail strategy splitting with what Beech was selling. There were a few V-tail crashes in 1984, but I'm unsure of which this was.

Last edited:
The nearest I know of is a close friend of ABS president Donald L. Monday crashed in 1984 in a V-Tail breakup. It caused him to change his (and the ABS's) mind on the V-tail strategy splitting with what Beech was selling. There were a few V-tail crashes in 1984, but I'm unsure of which this was.
I was a member of ABS at the time, and there was general concern for the V tail, of which I owned one and still do. The claim was that he was involved in an accident, which was false and I just wanted to point that out. Monday remained on the board until 1987 and his airplane is still in the FAA registry although he is diseased.

Back