Beech Sundowner vs. Piper Archer

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
Two similar aircraft; both are 4-seater, low-wing, fixed gear with 180hp engines. Are there any traits that might make one airplane more desirable than the other?

I've never flown/ridden in an Archer, although I have ridden in an Arrow. I'm not sure if the cockpit is identical or not, but the Arrow' s cockpit seemed a lot like a Skyhawk cockpit.

Our FBO used to have a Sundowner for rent, and even though it was 5 kts slower than a Skyhawk, I enjoyed flying it more because the cockpit was more spacious and I could cycle from left to right on the panel during engine start-up (reverse during shutdown), and it also had a good ventilation system (even though it was not air conditioned). Also, it seemed more stable during cruise on cross-country's.

Only thing is it had a slight tendency to purpoise during rotation on takeoff and also during flare on landings. The stabilators also made it handle a bit differently imo. Over the years they've had several nosewheel/ prop strike incidents. While not a difficult airplane to fly, it's not as forgiving as a Skyhawk, and itwasn't very good for student pilots with around only 20 hours of flight exp.

So for anyone who has flown both these aircraft, what is your opinion between the two?

I'm not sure if the cockpit is identical or not
Archer cabin is identical to 1972 and later Arrows.

The Beech airframe seems more substantial. But Piper parts are easier to come by and while not cheap, they're more reasonable than Beech. You've identified the downsides to the Beech (slow speed, tendency to porpoise on landing with poor pilot technique); otherwise they're both stone simple and easy to fly.

I've never flown or even ridden in a Sundowner but I own an Archer.

I would say the Archer is if anything more forgiving than skyhawk. They do land a bit faster but as long as you're at least close to your correct approach/over the fence speeds it's going to be easy. Excess speed can cause it to float through ground effect... if you have the runway just hold it level and it should settle down quickly. Archer stabilators are big, even at lower airspeeds pitch control is never an issue.

Takeoff is going to be uneventful, with trim set to the takeoff position all I have to do is give it a bit of backpressure when I hit 60kts and I'm off the ground. In typical conditions the airplane will accelerate right to Vy with little to no control input.

Compared to a Skyhawk the Archer tends to be a little more stable in turbulence and handles crosswind landings a little bit better. Stalls are a yawn... seriously you could almost sleep through them with the Archer's gentle stall characteristics.

I use 118kts for my planned airspeed... 115-120kts is going to be a typical cruising speed. You can go a little faster than that with more power but I like to go easy on my engine.

Cockpit is going to be nearly identical to an arrow... depending on the years you are comparing there are some differences.

Flew an archer for a couple years. Speed was fine, stable for ifr flight, decent useful load. HATED doing the piper roll to get in and out.

Bought a sundowner for the roomy cabin and two doors. Flight plan for 110 knots, cruise fuel burn 9 gph. Always want more speed but the sundowner is an easy keeper. Landing issues only happen when you don't fly the numbers.

Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

Here at PoA when you ask for an opinion of 2 planes, you get more planes.

Between the two I'd go with Archer. But before that I would look for a 2-Door Sierra.

I have a great Socata Tampico for sale for a steal of a deal...she may not be the fastest, but you'll get two nice Gullwing doors and a 50" wide cabin....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have flown both. I worked at an FBO that used both airplanes as rental/trainers. The Archer flew the most hours & was most favored.

I enjoyed training in both & enjoyed the room & visibility out of the Sundowner. Both are easy to fly & land. The Archer "feels" more sporty & is faster.

That said, my vote goes to the Archer but you won't be disappointed with either.

Flown both, and I'd pick the Sundowner. Roomier cabin and 2 doors, as mentioned, are my reasons for selecting the Sundowner.

Sundowner parts are $$$ and can be tough to get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flown both. Like the Sundowner. Big cabin, prefer the panel, trailing link gear and I think it looks slightly better.

Flown both, and I'd pick the Sundowner. Roomier cabin and 2 doors, as mentioned, are my reasons for selecting the Sundowner.

Forgot to mention the Cherokee only having one door. I wonder if the newer models are 2-door. The G1000 comes standard and they also have air conditioning.

We have an Arrow. All I can say is stable, stable, stable. Very forgiving. I've never flown a Sundowner but I can see where a second door would be nice.

did you say where u were located? I wouldn't think it would be all that difficult for someone here to help get you in an archer.

200 hours in an Archer. Great plane, fast enough, 10 gph at 130 kts 10k ft. I like flying the pipers much more than the cessnas. They just feel good to me. More docile.

No clue on the Beech.

Granted I don't fly a archer but I do fly a Piper. Having flown a Sierra which is just a sundowner with retractable gear I can say they are quiet inside. Love the electric blower fan for breeze in cabin on ground. And you can wear a hoss hat if you want! Lots of room. But.... Slow. Did I say sloooowww.

Granted I don't fly a archer but I do fly a Piper. Having flown a Sierra which is just a sundowner with retractable gear I can say they are quiet inside. Love the electric blower fan for breeze in cabin on ground. And you can wear a hoss hat if you want! Lots of room. But.... Slow. Did I say sloooowww.

The numbers I've seen for a Sierra are about 140ktas. I know the Sundowner is quite a bit slower, but what were you seeing in a Sierra?

Maybe 125kts. Seemed kind of crazy. It is a big fuselage, but Sierra has 200hp! I could maybe get 140 if I was pointing straight at ground. Great plane and I think good looking. For me the control yoke is placed little high so seemed little uncomfortable or awkward. Flew very nice. Owned about a year I guess. If it would have done the 140 or so I wouldn't mind having it around still.

My opinion between the two is you need to look at the Cherokee 235 I posted in the classified section.

Yea, if I had a do over, I should bought a Dakota or Commanche

Back