Beech Sierra B24R200 opinion

I mentioned above that I do transition from a crab to a side-slip to land in a crosswind with full flaps. I've not experienced any flutter then, either. Don't misunderstand me, here, I'm not saying that I wouldn't ever slip with the flaps deployed, I just don't go blatantly ignoring the placard on every flight, either.

I just obey the placard that as a matter of course, I don't do forward slips with the flaps deployed. If I'm too high on final and my engine works fine, I go around. If I'm too high on final and my engine isn't working, I'd have no problem doing a slip with the flaps deployed.

I think all Jesse was saying is, you should practice slips with full flaps BEFORE you're too high on final and your engine isn't working. :yes: If you are in that situation, the last thing you need is another surprise. :eek:

Do moderators punish here for offtopic? :p Just kidding!:D

Do moderators punish here for offtopic? :p Just kidding!:D

Fortunately, no. Otherwise just about all of us would be banned and there'd be noone left to use the board. Thread creep is an established fact of life with us. Welcome.

I think all Jesse was saying is, you should practice slips with full flaps BEFORE you're too high on final and your engine isn't working. :yes: If you are in that situation, the last thing you need is another surprise. :eek:

Noted... I'm doing a quick x-c with my mentor on Saturday. He's not a CFI, but maybe I'll see if he wouldn't mind me practicing that while he's with me. I'm taking a couple of first-time pax up on Thursday night... DEFINITELY not doing it with them. :)

I've been slipping 172's (including the old 40-degree types) with full flaps for almost 40 years, and the only time I've ever seen an oscillation (not "flutter," which is quite another thing entirely and not something which occurs due to slipping with full flaps unless you're exceeding redline airspeed when you do it) is reading about it. But if it does happen, I know that all I need to do to make it stop is kick out of the slip, go around, and try the approach again. Thus, I'd suggest that PJ get with his instructor, practice doing full flap slips, and gain confidence in his ability to add this highly useful tool to his piloting tool kit.

Okay, potentially stupid question... is there really much difference in the handling between a full-flap and no-flap slip? I consider myself to be fairly proficient at the zero-flap slip.

Stop slipping start flying ! :rofl: :) Last time I did forward slip was circling approach. One before that fire in the cockpit :eek:

Okay, potentially stupid question... is there really much difference in the handling between a full-flap and no-flap slip? I consider myself to be fairly proficient at the zero-flap slip.

probably not a major difference in control forces if the speeds are the same. the big difference will be in pitch attitude.

Back