Beech down in lake near Orlando

Good grief. For a minute there I thought this was a double post, but apparently these are two different fatal Bonanza accidents.

From Beechtalk review of LiveATC:

Listened to the LiveATC feed. The guy said "I have to use full force on the yoke, can anybody help?" It was suggested he pull the autopilot breaker. He said he had done so and it was requiring full yoke movement to change pitch. Someone suggested to turn off the master switch, and he though they meant to power off the aircraft. When he figured out what was being suggested, he went NORDO and presumably into the lake. Sounds like there may have been runaway trim. I saw that happen to someone last year right in front of my eyes, very scary.

Ugh. If it was runway trim there is something to be said for the old manual trim, and flaps, and...

Registration pending - so maybe new to the pilot aircraft?

Do Bonanzas only have one electric trim motor with no manual backup? If so, that's not a great system.

Do Bonanzas only have one electric trim motor with no manual backup? If so, that's not a great system.

No, there is a manual trim wheel, but it is visually obscured by the yoke arm (this was an '81 A36 I believe). So someone new to the type and caught off guard/freaked out might not have readjusted the trim in time.

No, there is a manual trim wheel, but it is visually obscured by the yoke arm (this was an '81 A36 I believe). So someone new to the type and caught off guard/freaked out might not have readjusted the trim in time.

Yikes. If you have electric trim, that is definitely one to rehearse. That said, it may not have been runaway trim at all.

Back