Beech Debonair Prop Change

tmyers

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim Myers
We are in the process of an overhaul on an io-470-K Deb B33

I have been offered the following.

Overhauled McCauley 2A36C23 with matching Overhauled governor, and spinner $7500

New Hartzell Top Prop with our Garwin Governor Overhauled $8400

New McCauley PL60309 Black Mac with new Governor $8800

New Hartzell Top Prop with New Governor $9000

Have been looking hard for a less expensive prop and governor to have overhauled but just can't find one.

We are looking at two blade as most of the three blade props lose a couple kts in cruise and cost more.

Thoughts and Ideas welcome, and we will offer the old Flottorp for sale if anyone wants it and the governor as well if we do not rebuild it.

For those price differences, go with the new prop. The overhauled prop will be zero timed but may not have enough blade left for another overhaul.

For those price differences, go with the new prop. The overhauled prop will be zero timed but may not have enough blade left for another overhaul.

I'm a McCauley fan (except for wheels and brakes :lol:) but its hard to argue at those prices.

Maybe get a quote to overhaul the Hartzell for reference?

This reminds me of the trade in your core Bendix for a discount on Slick and individual Slick parts are horribly expensive, like $300 for a distributor block...

We are leaning toward the Black Mac for 8800 although I did get a quote on a new Top Prop for 7400 and we can OH the Garwin governor for $850. Hartzell just isn't a favorite propeller

I'd pay the diff to get off the Hartzell, but it's not my check. Ya do have to be concerned about any overhauled blades. It would depend on the blade measurement if I would go with o-haul.

My concern is that the OH is a Mc 2A36C23. I have been hearing that prop is no longer in production and parts will soon become scarce. If this is true it could affect sales value of the Deb

That pricing seems somewhat out of line. I see newly OH C23s with spinner in the 2500-3K range when they come up. A *brand new* McCauley governor should be ~3k, or fresh OH in the 1700 range.

The parts issue is real on the C23s, although we haven't had one reject yet for parts availability. The prop shops all moan about how hard the threaded ferrules are to find in serviceable condition. The OH price is getting up there too. Our last C23 was $4,200, which would've made a nice down payment on a Black Mac.

C76 3blades seem to be everywhere, even though they're the same design. I have one belonging to a client that we can't get rid of at $2500 -- it's been pickled and stored in our hangar for about 18 months. Since I run a C76 on my own, I'm hoping it stays around so I can buy it when I need it. :)

I agree with you on the 2-blade preference. I wish they made a compatible one for the 550. I miss the odious noise I got to throw off :)

I haven't looked in awhile, are Beech 278s out there? I imagine they're just as hard if not harder to OH than a C23, but they're nice low-drama props.

I sold off my midtime C23 for $1500. :) Keep an eye skinned, they show up all the time.

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_965119_McCauley+2A36C23+Prop.html

McCauley 2A36C23 Prop

MCCAULEY 2A36C23 PROP • $3,500 • FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • Excellent Condition. 535 SOH Resealed Inspected 2009 Removed for 3 blade Upgrade from F33. Spinner • Contact Mark Whitfill - EAST TEXAS AIRCRAFT, Owner - located Crockett, TX USA • Telephone: 936-544-0656 . • Posted December 2, 2014

No affiliation.

Black Mac. Haggle the price :dunno:

I'd also call east coast propeller in Lancaster , penna. And ask for the manager. Always had good luck there.

Black Mac, beat them up on price. A relationship with Hartzell always ends in Divorce :yikes::yikes::yikes:

The Mac props are no bargain either. A lot of the older ones have a REAL onerous AD that has a TIS limit and if you can't PROVE TIS your prop is unairworthy. The fact it was overhauled means SQUAT. You need to show the actual TIS since manufactured.

Agree with Mike. Used a C23 on my Deb for decades and then bought a C76 thinking I would be ready for a 550. May put the C23 back on.

Beechtalk has had a lot of people going to the super scimitar and the McCauleys show up in the for sale section.

The Mac props are no bargain either. A lot of the older ones have a REAL onerous AD that has a TIS limit and if you can't PROVE TIS your prop is unairworthy. The fact it was overhauled means SQUAT. You need to show the actual TIS since manufactured.

Yup. C406 and C409 3-blade Macs, plus the RPM range limitations are annoying to me. C76 avoids them. It's why I sought out the older, "dreaded threaded" prop :)

I personally loathe Hartzell as a company, but those scimitars do have a certain ramp cachet to them.

I've had lots of work done by Sensennich (even on my Hartzell) up in Lancaster. I've also used H&H (don't know if they are still around).

I am waiting for a return call from Randy at East Coast and sent an e-mail to New England. May give them a call after they have a chance to get back from lunch.

East Coast was $300 more than the local shop, and had no different reccomendations.

Back