Becoming a ground school instructor.

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
I know I can look this up, but I thought I'd ask you guys:

What is the process of becoming a Ground School instructor? And how much demand is there out there for this?

This sounds like a good first step towards becoming a CFI.

Need to pass (at least) two written tests. One on the Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI) and then whichever ground instructor test(s) you plan to take. Options are Basic Ground Instructor (BGI), Advanced Ground Instructor (AGI) and Instrument Ground Instructor (IGI). (I skipped the BGI and did the AGI and IGI, since the AGI gives you all of the privileges of the BGI plus more.)

That's it. As for whether there's demand, that will vary based on location. But I would agree that it's a good first step towards becoming a CFI (and that's exactly why I did it). For more information, see 61.211-61.217.

Need to pass (at least) two written tests. One on the Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI) and then whichever ground instructor test(s) you plan to take. Options are Basic Ground Instructor (BGI), Advanced Ground Instructor (AGI) and Instrument Ground Instructor (IGI). (I skipped the BGI and did the AGI and IGI, since the AGI gives you all of the privileges of the BGI plus more.)

That's it. As for whether there's demand, that will vary based on location. But I would agree that it's a good first step towards becoming a CFI (and that's exactly why I did it). For more information, see 61.211-61.217.

What he said, but I wouldn't even mention the BGI, for your question, it's the AGI and/or IGI.

For the is there need question, talk to your local flight schools, most hour building CFIs don't like spending time on the ground, so having a ground instructor might be appealing to some schools, only way you'll know is if you shake hands and ask questions.

What he said, but I wouldn't even mention the BGI, for your question, it's the AGI and/or IGI.

For the is there need question, talk to your local flight schools, most hour building CFIs don't like spending time on the ground, so having a ground instructor might be appealing to some schools, only way you'll know is if you shake hands and ask questions.

I figured if I didn't mention the BGI, someone would say my answer was incomplete... but I obviously agree that the best approach would be AGI and/or IGI.

Also, to the OP, I took my Commercial, AGI and CFI tests all in the same day, since they're (essentially) the same question bank. I also took my Instrument, IGI and CFII tests together, for the same reason. In case you're in a similar boat and want to knock out a few tests at the same time once you're ready. (Just remember the 24 month clock. I took longer than expected to get started on CFI training, so my CFI and CFII tests have expired.)

Try asking around the 141 schools to see if they need ground instructors. From my experience, 61 schools don't really have a need for one but with 141 you may be able to find something.

I wish I had a ground school instructor. At my age I find it a lot harder to soak in the material. Talking face to face is easier for me. I have had 4 diffrent CFIs on my journey and non of them spent much time on talking on the ground.

I still have my Sanderson pivate pilot manual from that course. Seems rather quaint.

I had textbook that too, and I think the Comm/Instr one. Might still have them somewhere. Wore those suckers out. This
of course before the video days.

Got my PPC in '75, anyone remember the Acme exams?

The #1 advantage to a live person teaching ground ..... ask questions and debate/explain the answers and alternatives. This is the reason we still have stand-up instruction in schools. There are many topics that do not lend themselves to rote learning. Another reason....learning/cognitive style of the student. Computer based training is not for everyone.

There are still things you need ground for.

Weight and balance, WAAAY easier learning that with someone vs by yourself infront of a screen

Initial X/C planning

Mock check rides

Airspace kinda sorta

Misc questions.

If I had a busy flight school, I'd totally take on someone (1099 ofcourse) who WANTED to teach ground. I've seen some high time guys who lost their medicals go the ground school route, great resource.

And how much demand is there out there for this?
Most flight schools like to offer a private pilot groundschool once a year. I've found that many CFIs don't want to teach these, either because they're too busy or they simply don't like to. So I think there is definitely some demand though probably varies a bit from area to area. I wouldn't call it lucrative though ... but neither is flight instruction.

The #1 advantage to a live person teaching ground ..... ask questions and debate/explain the answers and alternatives. This is the reason we still have stand-up instruction in schools. There are many topics that do not lend themselves to rote learning. Another reason....learning/cognitive style of the student. Computer based training is not for everyone.

Ditto. Someone above mentioned about a 50% dropout rate for private pilot ground. I know that for online college-level learning sites like edX, the dropout rate is much higher, about 95%.

Do ground instructor privileges expire or require continuing education?

Do ground instructor privileges expire or require continuing education?
The license doesn't expire but to continue to exercise the privileges you need have acted as a ground instructor within the previous year or get a sign off by another ground instructor saying you're proficient.

The license doesn't expire but to continue to exercise the privileges you need have acted as a ground instructor within the previous year or get a sign off by another ground instructor saying you're proficient.

You also need an initial sign-off from an instructor (for whatever reason). Also, I think a FIRC might work for proficiency as well.

Back