Becoming a DPE

NKTFlyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NKTFlyer
So its not exactly something I thought I would ever get into, but is anybody here a DPE? I read about the prerequisites (flight hour and dual given requirements are actually quite high), and I can eventually make them. I'm just exploring right now, but it seems like being a DPE in a metro area would be pretty lucrative. Am I missing something? What else should I know?

From what I'm told, it's mostly about who you know. The examiner we use at the school is an AA pilot. He makes bank. My student's dad is in the process of becoming one. I'll pick his brain.

From what I'm told, it's mostly about who you know.

That's a good portion of what I've been told about the process too. It sounds like it helps to have ratings that the other examiners don't have (everyone has fixed wing ratings, fewer people can do helicopter or glider stuff), you'll have a better chance at getting in that way.

Personal opinion, but based on what I've read and been told I wouldn't waste my time trying to become one unless you're well known and liked at the FSDO.

Lucrative is a relative term. You're generally limited to two examinations a day. If the weather is bad you don't fly. You pay your own insurance, travel for required training, etc. Also consider most examiners give a discount for a retest.

Also, you don't log any of the time giving checkrides (unless you're serving as a required crew member). You spend 10-20% of your time delivering disappointing news, and get to enjoy regular observations from FAA inspectors.

It's not a bad gig, but you're not going to get rich at it either. A seriously hustling examiner probably makes about $150k/year, which isn't bad for a flying job, but it doesn't leave a lot of free time to fly yourself.

As far as being political, I'd say a good DPE candidate will be active, participate in FAASTeam events, not crash planes, etc. it helps to know other well regarded DPEs. There are a fair number of DPEs who have regular flying jobs too. I also agree with the other poster who mentioned that having less common ratings such as rotorcraft, gliders, LTA, gyro, etc.

Lucrative is a relative term. You're generally limited to two examinations a day. If the weather is bad you don't fly. You pay your own insurance, travel for required training, etc. Also consider most examiners give a discount for a retest.

Also, you don't log any of the time giving checkrides (unless you're serving as a required crew member). You spend 10-20% of your time delivering disappointing news, and get to enjoy regular observations from FAA inspectors.

It's not a bad gig, but you're not going to get rich at it either. A seriously hustling examiner probably makes about $150k/year, which isn't bad for a flying job, but it doesn't leave a lot of free time to fly yourself.

As far as being political, I'd say a good DPE candidate will be active, participate in FAASTeam events, not crash planes, etc. it helps to know other well regarded DPEs. There are a fair number of DPEs who have regular flying jobs too. I also agree with the other poster who mentioned that having less common ratings such as rotorcraft, gliders, LTA, gyro, etc.

Seems you could gross about 170ish if you do 2 a day for 4 days a week and 50 weeks a year.

I have no qualms telling people they don't meet the standard. I do it every day.

Not bad at all for a flying job, especially since you'll spend very minimal time away from home.

I wonder what these guys n gals were making when they weren't restricted to 2 rides a day.

It's VERY political ! I just had a friend get selected. He told me DPE's are now limited to just two events per day now.

It's VERY political ! I just had a friend get selected. He told me DPE's are now limited to just two events per day now.
I read that in the publication. I can see not doing more than two commercials, and certainly not more than two initial CFIs, but I think a savvy DPE can get two Multi Add-ons done before breakfast.

Being a DPE definitely wouldn't be a bad gig. It's not far off to say they can easily pull in a nice salary, bringing in $400/ride. Besides, driving up in a BMW (Big Money Wasted) 328i convertible, isn't the average pilots' set of wheels.

My DPE said the two rides per day limit is what keeps him booked out nearly a month in advance. Frustrating for the students, but he stays busy.

I read that in the publication. I can see not doing more than two commercials, and certainly not more than two initial CFIs, but I think a savvy DPE can get two Multi Add-ons done before breakfast.

You can only do one initial CFI a day...

I think you can do two of everything else though. Possibly more if you get special permission.

And that's why they were charging $1,000 for a ride when I did mine. That's 2 check rides worth of money, and I did 2 check rides worth of oral/practical that day.
That's highway robbery, insane!

And that's why they were charging $1,000 for a ride when I did mine. That's 2 check rides worth of money, and I did 2 check rides worth of oral/practical that day.

The pay scale is slightly reduced where I'm at (Midwest) but that's what the local DPEs who can do initial CFI checkrides do too. Whatever the going rate for a typical checkride is, the price will be double for an initial CFI.

Not to brag, but my initial CFI checkride cost $500 not terribly long ago. :D

In the mid-90's the FAA approached me about becoming a DPE for airplanes & gliders. I was in the process of selling my FBO at the time & kind of gave them the brush off. I could kick myself now. At the time, I had around 5,000TT.

Now that I'm actively flying again & just reinstated my CFI, I just might approach them again. First, I want to get some fresh dual-given under my belt.

I wonder what these guys n gals were making when they weren't restricted to 2 rides a day.

The examiner I rode with back in the early 90s was retired and worked two flight schools. He did 4-6 check rides a day, 4 days a week at 300 bucks a ride except ATP and CFI-II-MEI rides, which were considerable more. Since it was all cash, I am certain he reported it all to the IRS......:rolleyes:

It's been that way for a while. The rule was jokingly named after a FDK based DPE who was really packing them in each day.

The issue is that there's no direct criteria for deciding who gets the designation. The FAA rations them out by area so you're in better shape if you're in an underserved area, but still it takes a lot of poltical rectum to mouth. It's not like IAs where all you have to do is have the right credentials, experience, and training and you get your designation.

As far as being political, I'd say a good DPE candidate will be active, participate in FAASTeam events, not crash planes, etc. it helps to know other well regarded DPE.
In other words, you need to be personally known and have a good reputation with the FAA.

In other words, you need to be personally known and have a good reputation with the FAA.
The entire internal process is mapped in this job task analysis document.

It's hard to be a very active instructor without crossing paths with inspectors at some point. Perhaps it varies from FSDO to FSDO, but at least at the ones I'm familiar with, most busy instructors personally know DPEs and have at least met a few of the inspectors for one reason or another, so it's not too hard to be "known."

Like any job hiring, the FSDO wants to appoint designees that aren't going to give them trouble later on. Certainly someone who is well regarded in the community is going to have a leg up over someone who flies under the radar with few references. I wouldn't call that political any more than applying for any other job.

Back