Because you’ve got nothing better to do

They needed “professionals” to tell them that if you drop a red hot piece of metal into a liquid the liquid will boil. I’m an amateur and I could have told them that for free.

that was surprisingly boring. fast forward to 4:28 of the 4:44 video to see the most exciting thing that happens.....a glass breaks.

I thought it was interesting. I mean who doesn't wonder what a 1000 degree metal ball will do when it coms in contact with something? lol.

I thought it would cook the eggs more and quicker though. A lot of 'interesting' experiments on the channel.

I'd prefer to watch the real-life demo going on with lava on the big island...

This video raised some very interesting questions. Such as:

Why would you sell beans in a narrow mouthed glass jar?
Why would you try to use a wooden skewer to extricate said beans from said jar? A spoon would have been much more efficient.

I'd prefer to watch the real-life demo going on with lava on the big island...

That's way hotter than 1000°F! And you can't see into it . . . .

No, I didn't watch this video. I'd expect the glass to break when the hot metal sinks tomthe bottom, way way before the eggs even think about cooking. Hold the metal in the liquid, yes the eggs will cook some as the liquid rapidly boils away.

Was I right???

I'm easily amused. :D

Hahah. Me too. Otherwise I wouldn’t have trolled everyone with boiling eggs. LOL.

Especially after nearly a month of not flying and hammering through multiple awful IT projects.

But we’re getting there. Company bought a place in Indy and even though the people who bought it know we have to integrate IT at SOME point, they’re aware we have no bandwidth for it right now.

Some outside circumstances (a building move in Indy) may force the issue sooner than we have manpower to cover, so maybe I’ll at least get to fly myself to Indy to go play “let’s see how truly bad the tech deficit is here” game. They have a leased VoIP phone system that doesn’t work right and apparently they’re highly reliant on... Lotus Notes.

Kill me now. Please. LOL. A Lotus Notes migration to GSuite... Ugh.

I tell ya if they didn’t pay well enough to put up with this crap, I’d be at the airport full time starving to death as a CFI.

Lotus freaking Notes.

I think boiling egg videos are about all that’s left on the Internet that keeps me sane. Well, and you guys. Haha.

Lotus freaking Notes.

Not sure I've ever told this here, but I worked for Lotus back in the mid '90s in Atlanta after IBM bought them, supporting Lotus Notes, 1-2-3, Word Pro, Approach and Organizer. I don't remember anything about them now. I do remember the old Lotus DOS version of 1-2-3 that there were people so proficient at it and had the keystrokes so memorized you could blast through a spreadsheet and inputting without ever even looking at it.

Not sure I've ever told this here, but I worked for Lotus back in the mid '90s in Atlanta after IBM bought them, supporting Lotus Notes, 1-2-3, Word Pro, Approach and Organizer. I don't remember anything about them now. I do remember the old Lotus DOS version of 1-2-3 that there were people so proficient at it and had the keystrokes so memorized you could blast through a spreadsheet and inputting without ever even looking at it.

Heh. Yup. I didn’t know Lotus 1-2-3 quite that well, but worked with folks who did.

I think it was around that time I realized software would forever suck and constantly change, and stopped memorizing stuff like that. We already had AmiPro, Lotus, and Office all in the same company already at that point.

Once Outlook took over I knew software would never get any better. People still love that crap. It is truly a POS.

But it pulled multiple business things into one application (very poorly) and trying to pry that crap from people’s cold dead fingers, you’d probably not be able to get them to release their clutches on it.

We chuckle every time one of our die-hard Outlook users comes over whining about it being in its usual state of perennial brokenness now, because we are on GSuite as the back end.

“Did you try going to [insert company customized and incredibly easy to remember GSuite URL?”

“Well, no...”

“If it comes up and works, Outlook is just doing its usual crap. KILL it completely, don’t just click on the X, and re-start it, and it’ll work until you ask me this again next month. And I’ll ask the same question. If you’d just use the web interface like more than half the company, instead of Outlook, you wouldn’t have these problems you know.”

Okay, that’s what we’d like to say, but we stop at “Did you try it in your browser?” And then just peer over my old man glasses at them. They already know the rest.

They just can’t apparently learn not to open Outlook.

We charge their departments for the software (and it’s Microsoft’s subscription model now, so they get a monthly bill) and any time we have to spend dealing with it, and have let them know that Outlook problems are handled as non-emergency since everyone else is working just fine on GSuite natively in the rest of the six companies In the building.

Outlook is a plague of epic proportions that can’t be killed. It only goes dormant for a little while at more clueful companies. :)

Yea, I know. I gave it up for now. July 18th will be 2 years no fly.

No bueno. Anything anyone here can do to help fix that?

I had my eight year dry spell a long time ago, but I hate to see anyone else having to do that.

Back