Because all software sucks. . .

Sundancer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Sundog
Search: "UL engine"

The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: ul

All software sucks - some more, some less. . .but all.

Which software? A lot of database apps use indexes that have configurable stop word lists. They intentionally don't index these stop words because they are either too common and don't usually provide value to a keyword search, or because the words themselves are operators in that specific language.

I've had the same problem. I'd prefer they limited the number of results rather than not even try.

No results found change the word you’re using. No thanks

"No results found", Change the search engine you're using. ;)

Code:
Google.com -> site:pilotsofAmerica.com ul

IMG_0464.jpeg

Restricting short words is dumb in a site devoted to such an acronym-heavy subject as aviation. You'd think it would be an option that could be turned off.

Which software? A lot of database apps use indexes that have configurable stop word lists. They intentionally don't index these stop words because they are either too common and don't usually provide value to a keyword search, or because the words themselves are operators in that specific language.
All of it. At least all consumer and business apps. Plenty of tech apps, too. Was always thus, and always will be - except it's devolved with the addition of complexity - the host platforms, client platforms, feature bloat, the canyon of seperation between the user and the devloper, the arrogance of "SMEs" who aren't. . .just a rant in passing.

I just popped on to say that I generally agree with the thread title. Even though I've written software for a living, too.

But if you're restricting it to nearly all business and most consumer apps, I'd say that the software is written perfectly for the mission for which it is intended. That mission being to lock you into a permanent revenue stream for the software company. I'm not saying that out of spite or anger, I believe it to be just factual.

Non-software businesses in the US are basically renting the equivalent of hammers for their employees rather than buying them, and the hammers keep changing slightly. They're not better, just different. It's perceived as a minor cost, and unavoidable, so nobody pays much attention to it at the corporate exec level. But I'd bet if someone did the math on the cost of continual training, upgrade, and loss from security and upgrade issues it would be a decent percentage of the economy. Just my little rant.

As a technology risk professional, if it wasn’t for bad software, I’d actually have to work for a living.

I just popped on to say that I generally agree with the thread title. Even though I've written software for a living, too.

But if you're restricting it to nearly all business and most consumer apps, I'd say that the software is written perfectly for the mission for which it is intended. That mission being to lock you into a permanent revenue stream for the software company. I'm not saying that out of spite or anger, I believe it to be just factual.

Non-software businesses in the US are basically renting the equivalent of hammers for their employees rather than buying them, and the hammers keep changing slightly. They're not better, just different. It's perceived as a minor cost, and unavoidable, so nobody pays much attention to it at the corporate exec level. But I'd bet if someone did the math on the cost of continual training, upgrade, and loss from security and upgrade issues it would be a decent percentage of the economy. Just my little rant.
yep This, and the agile religion are diseases that rot the roots of all software theses days.

A "C" level exec touted a mission critical app that was "80%" of what we needed - we got the "Perfect is the enemy of good enough." I asked him how he'd feel about his car not starting two out of every ten days - randomly. No joy, they pressed on with it, added the customizations to cover the gaps, paid for it on every new release with re-re-writing the "fixes", regression testing, etc., etc. And, slowly, slipped farther behind the vendor's release (and support) schedule. The "C" left, I'd left, and old friends stayed, but lessons learned evaporated. They. Did. It. All. Again. Funny thing, I ended working for the vendor some time later. A lot of the modern stuff is great at simple, basic data capture. But "smart" business rules, not so much. Even screen nav often looks amateurish. I mean, how tough is it to put focus on the first entry field?

... the agile religion are diseases that rot the roots of all software theses days.

True words. And just wait till you get SW managers trying to apply "agile" to Hardware development. Oh my goodness. Grrr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back