"Be careful"

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
How many times have you been driving to the airport, take a phone call, "yeah, just going to go fly a bit" and the call ends with "Be careful"

I usually say, "I wasn't going to be, but if you insist"

Do people tell you to be careful when you're heading out to fly? And do those people tell you that when you're going to drive a car, cross the street, light a firecracker?

Anyway....

They want to predict the crash so they can tell every one; "I told them to be careful". When you get home and miraculously survive they forget they said it, but they still say it a million times and nothing happens. Then if it does happen they can say; "I told him to be careful"! It's human nature.

Last edited:
Reminded of this...

Lets-Be-careful-Out-There.jpg

Nothing more than benign well-wishing, a common human sentiment.

The saying just goes with flying,most people believe flying is unsafe,they never tell me to be carefull when I'm driving my car,or boating.

How many times have you been driving to the airport, take a phone call, "yeah, just going to go fly a bit" and the call ends with "Be careful"

I usually say, "I wasn't going to be, but if you insist"

Do people tell you to be careful when you're heading out to fly? And do those people tell you that when you're going to drive a car, cross the street, light a firecracker?

Anyway....

I don't own a cell phone but the wife does and I tell her to pull over if she has to use it and don't text and drive

They usually tell me to have fun and ask if I have an extra seat,,,:yes:

What is wrong with some of you? Your wives won't fly with you and your friends talk like someone's grandma. Besides careful isn't safe.

But....according to USA Today, we're all gonna die!!!!

Nearly 45,000 people have been killed over the past five decades in private planes and helicopters, almost nine times the number that have died in airline crashes. Though federal investigators have cited pilots as causing or contributing to most crashes, a USA TODAY investigation shows repeated instances in which crashes, deaths and injuries were caused by defective parts and dangerous designs."

I told my wife that it's a jinx to say anything like that, so now she just says "have fun", which I like much better!

I must be lucky then, my wife tells me to "Have Fun" too!

My brother and I have always been in the habit of saying to each other on the way out the door, "drive recklessly and endanger lives," it's every bit as valid as be safe.

When I first started flying again and asked my wife to go (she flew with me a lot even in training back in the day) she said do you think it will be OK I don't want to leave the kids (21 and 18) alone. I said, "I am not PLANNING to die today but I suppose it could happen." She has since gotten over it and flies whenever she can.

Anyway....

Yes; no

My response: Always...

"have a nice day"

ya, thanks, I was planning on it.

Growing up in the 60s.... "Mom, we are going out to ride bikes on the street with traffic, race go-carts, ride horses, play with BB guns, swim in the river, explore the haunted house, climb trees, throw rocks at each other, camp out on the boat on the lake, play with knives, pet stray dogs, run with scissors and talk to strangers....."
'

Mom: "Ok, be careful..... and wait 30 minutes to go swimming after eating... did you put on clean underwear?"

As kids, we were playing darts outside. The a-hole neighbor kid said "it's your turn, go get 'em". When I pulled the darts out of the target, I noticed I was one short. The a-hole hollered "hey, dumbass, you missed one!" and as I looked at him, I saw his arm fling the last dart. I instinctively raised my arm to cover my face and the dart lodged itself nicely in my left ulna. Naturally, I screamed from pain.
From afar, we heard parents' voices "what's going on??"
"Nuttin'!"
I pulled the last dart out of my arm and told the a-hole neighbor "my turn".

Life was good back then.

As kids, we were playing darts outside. The a-hole neighbor kid said "it's your turn, go get 'em". When I pulled the darts out of the target, I noticed I was one short. The a-hole hollered "hey, dumbass, you missed one!" and as I looked at him, I saw his arm fling the last dart. I instinctively raised my arm to cover my face and the dart lodged itself nicely in my left ulna. Naturally, I screamed from pain.
From afar, we heard parents' voices "what's going on??"
"Nuttin'!"
I pulled the last dart out of my arm and told the a-hole neighbor "my turn".

Life was good back then.

You shoulda played Lawn Darts! Remember those giant, heavy things? Very pointy, too, to penetrate that tough grass and stick in the dirt.

My mom doesn't think twice about me flying, but is terrified of my driving. I guess it's because I've been flying for so long :dunno:

You shoulda played Lawn Darts! Remember those giant, heavy things? Very pointy, too, to penetrate that tough grass and stick in the dirt.

Lawn darts.... what fun those were.!! I can't believe I forgot about them.!!

They want to predict the crash so they can tell every one; "I told them to be careful".

conversely, I think it is sort of a superstition for some ("if I fail to give my warning, something bad might happen so I must always give the warning; after all it has worked 100% in the past, we must stick with that which works")

But....according to USA Today, we're all gonna die!!!!
"Nearly 45,000 people have been killed over the past five decades in private planes"

Let's not worry ourselves that almost the same number die in gravity challenged vehicles EVERY YEAR in the US. Five decades, sheesh.

I loved Hill Street Blues and especially Frank's wife Veronica Hamel. We had Jarts and we climbed huge pine trees and got pitch on our hands, and rode our bikes for miles up country roads. The only thing I didn't like to do was jump off the cliffs into the quarries.

I might have told this story before but soon after I started flying regularly, my wife pulled into the driveway and parked her car. Sitting in front of the house was a police cruiser with an officer behind the wheel. Thinking the worst, she approached him and fearfully asked "Are you looking for me?" to which he replied, "Should I be?"

Now, she just says, "Have fun, see you tonight."

You guys are funny. My wife says "Sit down, strap in, shut up, and hang ooooooonnnnnnnnn!" :)

She took this picture last week... (No, your screen is right-side up!)

11421604_859376260764936_667159710_n.jpg

Agreed.

I was in law enforcement back when it was on, and it captured much of the spirit of the job.

Eagerly waiting for more episodes to be up online - I think just the first 2 or 3 seasons are now.

Awesome show. May have to out that in the queue for some re-run watching.

As far as the Safety thing, I just say "Safety Third!" and tell them to go look up Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs episode entitled that.

My wife says it every single time I go out the door for any reason.
But, she does have good reason to remind me.

My ex used to pray to various saints in Spanish. My daughter used to say, simply, "Don't crash." Now the ex is history and the daughter's in California, so neither of them say anything about it. :D

That's probably a good thing considering some of the contraptions I've flown lately.

Rich

I just say, "You know what a cautious fellow I am." She gets it. ;-)

Been flying for 37 years. Been married 26. Wife used to always say, "be careful. " Now it is just "have fun." If going somewhere specific I still get the "Text me when you get there."

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

When I tell my wife that I'm going to go fly she usually just says "Okay".

Back