Be careful what you tweet...

Precisely why home boy don't play Twitter or Facebook.

I to, do not posses a twitter or facebook account. I do have various google accounts and lots of stupid posts all over the internet, the gummint could find me if they wanted. But, I just really couldn't care less what some girl i barely knew in high school made for dinner last night, nor do I care to see pictures of it.

Well, as a guy who's had a relationship die due to an old myspace post (many years ago) I'm still amazed that ppl make such a big deal of these things.

What about phrases like "blow'n up" (to become wildly successful) as in "Ur boyz gonna be blow'n up in America"?

He couldn't dig up Marilyn Monroe. She's in a crypt.

The people responsible for these arrests and expulsions are self-important idiots.

DHS is full of utter retards if they think a terrorist is going to post their intentions on Twitter. What dip****s.

They also need a British/American phrasebook... "destroy" was taken totally out of context. It's just another crass, silly tweet, among millions, and what's most disturbing is that we are paying people to read this kind of nonsense and determine if it represents a threat to national security.
And furthermore... oh wait, gotta go, I think someone's kicking in the do

Imagine a world where your words have a consequence and people actually thought about things for 12 seconds before blathering inane crap to the world.

But, I just really couldn't care less what some girl i barely knew in high school made for dinner last night, nor do I care to see pictures of it.

you pretty much hit the nail on the head with that

Imagine a world where your words have a consequence and people actually thought about things for 12 seconds before blathering inane crap to the world.
In their intended context it wasn't inane. If they said "I'm going to party like never before in America" this would be a non issue. What's the diff in expressing the same in that way.

The people responsible for these arrests and expulsions are self-important idiots.

Those 'self important idiots' were appointed by YOU to do that job. Whoever the officer was who turned this twit around at the airport followed the relevant laws to the letter:

Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission

8 U.S.C. 1001 sect 221(a) 3 A (i) (I)

to violate any law of the United States relating to espionage or sabotage or

8 U.S.C. 1001 sect 221(a) 4 (i) (II)

a consular officer or the Attorney General knows, or has reasonable ground to believe, is engaged in or is likely to engage after entry in any terrorist activity

What is reasonable to him may not seem reasonable to you or me.

If you attempt to enter the US on a visa-waiver, you have given up any due process protections when it comes to being denied admission. The airline has to take you back on their dime. For security purposes, the UK has become a province of Pakistan and germany the northernmost governorate of turkey.

If you don't like the immigration laws as they stand (I dont), elect people with the guts to change them. Dont fault the people who apply those laws.

As for the 'well he didn't mean what he wrote' argument, I just have to reiterate Hennings take on the issue:

In their intended context it wasn't inane. If they said "I'm going to party like never before in America" this would be a non issue. What's the diff in expressing the same in that way.

Most likely his lack of genuflecting during questioning.

Long before that, back to the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution at least.
May be right at that- I wonder if the railroad and telegraph allowed federal intrusion on the states, due to rapid communication and transportation, to the point that they were one of the causes of the Civil War.

Just a hypothesis on my part with nothing to back it up. I doubt you could have a revolt now since the government could mine data and nip it in the bud.

It amazes me what some people voluntarily put on the internet about themselves.

May be right at that- I wonder if the railroad and telegraph allowed federal intrusion on the states, due to rapid communication and transportation, to the point that they were one of the causes of the Civil War.

Just a hypothesis on my part with nothing to back it up. I doubt you could have a revolt now since the government could mine data and nip it in the bud.

The Federal Government deeded Sovereign Land to the Railroads unilaterally, I see that as the big turning point of where industry took over America through the control of the Federal Government. There were some issues with Federal Gov't & alcohol almost from the very first days of the nation.

Out of context or not, that was pretty well asked for. I can't blame DHS for this. They ought to know the American definition there, and think for a second prior to Tweeting.

Now, the fact that we are paying an organization to sift through Tweets and add those people to the watch list in the first place? That part is an absurd waste of my tax dollars.

Out of context or not, that was pretty well asked for. I can't blame DHS for this. They ought to know the American definition there, and think for a second prior to Tweeting.

Now, the fact that we are paying an organization to sift through Tweets and add those people to the watch list in the first place? That part is an absurd waste of my tax dollars.
Ted, I gotta disagree. I understand that scanning emails, tweets, etc. for information can be a valuable tool for detecting suspicious activities but by itself a comment uttered in any fashion whether a letter to the editor of the NY Times, a post on PoA, or an overseas phone call to a friend/co-conspirator shouldn't ever be sufficient "evidence" of any sort of misdeed. If twenty people hear me shout "I'm gonna break your neck" at you during an argument (just kidding TSA), I have not committed any crime unless you were recently elected POTUS. Of course if you turn up dead the next day with a fractured spinal cord I'd expect to be questioned about my activities at the time of your demise, but even then I don't think my outburst by itself would be enough for an indictment, let alone a conviction.

Yes, it may deserve a talking to to verify intent, but not an expulsion.

Correctly correlating various publicly available info to a individual attempt to enter the US sounds like a good idea to me. Just an extension of building a psych profile on incoming persons.

Ted, I gotta disagree. I understand that scanning emails, tweets, etc. for information can be a valuable tool for detecting suspicious activities but by itself a comment uttered in any fashion whether a letter to the editor of the NY Times, a post on PoA, or an overseas phone call to a friend/co-conspirator shouldn't ever be sufficient "evidence" of any sort of misdeed. If twenty people hear me shout "I'm gonna break your neck" at you during an argument (just kidding TSA), I have not committed any crime unless you were recently elected POTUS. Of course if you turn up dead the next day with a fractured spinal cord I'd expect to be questioned about my activities at the time of your demise, but even then I don't think my outburst by itself would be enough for an indictment, let alone a conviction.

That is not exactly true... If you verbally threaten Ted and he feels threatened and there are witnesses you can be charged with Assault.. If you actually touch him during or after the altercation that makes it Battery.... Numerous criminal cases back up that comment.. IMHO.

Ben.

Ps, if that really did happen, Ted probably had it coming because he was going to sprinkle the wings of your plane with "deice" pellets.:D:D:rofl:.

Ok Ted... Que up the famous pic please....

Well, they do track Piper twins and send the cops out just for fun... :(

If twenty people hear me shout "I'm gonna break your neck" at you during an argument (just kidding TSA), I have not committed any crime unless you were recently elected POTUS.

Depends on where you are, doing so in Delaware and other states this may well land you in trouble. Depends mostly whether Ted felt threatened by your conduct:

11 Del. C.§ § 621 Terroristic threatening
; class G felony; class A misdemeanor; penalties.

(a) A person is guilty of terroristic threatening when he or she commits any of the following:
(1) The person threatens to commit any crime likely to result in death or in serious injury to person or property; or

The first amendment is not absolute, none of them is.

So what was the person convicted of or sent to jail for? They were denied entry into the US - something that happens every day. As non-citizens, we're allowed to deny entry. I've almost been denied entry into Canada because they were afraid I was there to work without a work permit. Non-citizens aren't entitled to come visit at their leisure, and can be denied entry for any reason.

Now let's say it was, I don't know, a guy who flies dogs around in an Aztec who was considered suspicious for flying so much. While still wasting taxpayer dollars, he'd be questioned, searched, and then let go when they found nothing. Two years later, they haven't bothered him since.

I didn't mean to imply that wire taps and eMail taps weren't valuable tools, certainly they are, and have their place. But it is silly for someone to be searching through Twitter that much to even detect that. Now if he were an identified threat, that's different. Similarly, we all know that what we post here isn't private. Not from eachother, the government, hackers, whoever. Therefore, it would be silly to post something that would arouse suspicion.

Ps, if that really did happen, Ted probably had it coming because he was going to sprinkle the wings of your plane with "deice" pellets.:D:D:rofl:.

Ok Ted... Que up the famous pic please....

There is no evidence I've ever used those. ;)

Well, they do track Piper twins and send the cops out just for fun... :(

Exactly. Another waste of taxpayer dollars.

Now let's point out, I don't feel threatened by Lance, he is a very nice guy. Although his Baron is nicer than the 310 or Aztec, which makes me feel slightly inadequate. ;)

Depends on where you are, doing so in Delaware and other states this may well land you in trouble. Depends mostly whether Ted felt threatened by your conduct:

11 Del. C.§ § 621 Terroristic threatening
; class G felony; class A misdemeanor; penalties.

(a) A person is guilty of terroristic threatening when he or she commits any of the following:
(1) The person threatens to commit any crime likely to result in death or in serious injury to person or property; or

The first amendment is not absolute, none of them is.

I guess I wasn't clear. In my scenario Ted and I were still friends and as he pointed out, he didn't take the threat seriously nor did I intend it to be taken that way. I was trying to make it similar to the tweets that got the couple in trouble.

Non-citizens aren't entitled to come visit at their leisure, and can be denied entry for any reason.

Not 'any reason' but a list of enumerated causes (infectious disease, 1st degree relative of a terrorist, prostitution convictions etc.) If you apply for a visa, the US goverment looks at you through the local consulate, if your name matches a watchlist you have the opportunity to show that it's not you by providing supporting information. Once you have the visa, the number of reasons to be denied entry is a lot shorter. And if you are denied entry, you typically receive a provisional admission and you have to make your case why you shouldn't be sent back at a hearing before an administrative judge within 48-72hrs.

These people came on a visa-waiver. In that case, the pre-screening is very limited and only based on whatever you put into the website interface when you apply for the visa waiver. Once you show up at the border, the entire list of denial causes still applies. If you are denied (e.g. you show up from Lithuania for a 89 day vacation 'to visit friends' with $10 in your wallet and and a pair of glass-heel slippers), you dont get the provisional admission and you dont get a hearing. The supervisor in 'secondary inspection' at the port of entry is hearing officer, judge and executioner in one person.

I guess I wasn't clear. In my scenario Ted and I were still friends and as he pointed out, he didn't take the threat seriously nor did I intend it to be taken that way. I was trying to make it similar to the tweets that got the couple in trouble.

Right, but as friends we can take license which such statements. I suspect that you wouldn't walk up to some large man who looks like a bouncer and say the same thing, joking or otherwise.

Right, but as friends we can take license which such statements. I suspect that you wouldn't walk up to some large man who looks like a bouncer and say the same thing, joking or otherwise.

Then again, the irish twit didn't make his threat to 'the US' or anyone in the US in particular but rather simply blathered it out to whoever it is that cares what he had for dinner.

Back