BBQ at the hangar FTG on 10 Oct

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
I'm thinking about a BBQ at FTG on Saturday afternoon, 10 Oct. I'll rustle up burgers & brats. If the weather's decent we'll have an afternoon of flying and food. Any interest?

I'll bring quality beverages and desserts.

I'm thinking about a BBQ at FTG on Saturday afternoon, 10 Oct. I'll rustle up burgers & brats. If the weather's decent we'll have an afternoon of flying and food. Any interest?

A friendly request...I know some people enjoy learning and using airport 3-letter identifiers but personally, I really don't and hope you don't mind giving a full name of the airport and what city it is near 'cause quite frankly, I just don't have the desire to go look it up...thx!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bueno - Since you know the territory: T-33-6E

I'm still working on details but there will probably be some non-flying friends around. They'll all be in the good friends category so no sweat.

Bueno - Since you know the territory: T-33-6E

I'm still working on details but there will probably be some non-flying friends around. They'll all be in the good friends category so no sweat.

fwiw...I'm not a non-flyer, just don't have any reason to learn identifiers...except some major airports when I fly the standby with Greg's privileges...lol...helpful in looking up flights. :)

A friendly request...I know some people enjoy learning and using airport 3-letter identifiers but personally, I really don't and hope you don't mind giving a full name of the airport and what city it is near 'cause quite frankly, I just don't have the desire to go look it up...thx!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

FTG is Front Range Airport which is about six mile east-south-east of Denver International.

If ya wanta bring the 190/5, I'm sure we could find room on the ramp for it.

I'll attempt to make it. That's one of my days to work, um, standby, so it depends on what trips come up.

I'm still a maybe ... won't know for another 4 or 5 days...

Just remember that the "maybes" are last in line once the brats go on the grill.:D

understood! :) Might have to assume a BYOB (bring your own brat) situation if I can't get a go, no-go soon ...

ah...FTG is Front Range airport, just under the SE corner of DIA (DEN for us pilots). I'm also based there, so I understand the T33-6E - that's the hangar location.

understood! :) Might have to assume a BYOB (bring your own brat) situation if I can't get a go, no-go soon ...
I'll stash extra hotdogs (Coleman, of course) in the fridge, just in case the brats are gone by the time you get here.

Awww, darn. I used to be based at KFTG and nobody I knew had a cookout.

:frown3:

Dammit, we would have made this, but we're having a BBQ at our house instead that day.

Dammit.

FTG is Front Range Airport which is about six mile east-south-east of Denver International.

If ya wanta bring the 190/5, I'm sure we could find room on the ramp for it.

Unfortunately, we can't afford to fly the 195 over this year. We've gone way past our airplane budget for the year. I know, so what! What else is new? :rolleyes: Can easily get on a standby flight on United though and have someone pick us up at DIA. :) We'll have to see what happens. I know, that means we better plan on bringing our own brats...:rolleyes:;):)

Hmmm, Nick sez he woulda journeyed from 'querque, the Bocklepersons might catch a ride from IL. Hmmm.

Folks, my burgers are good but not that good. I like to chop onions, green peppers, jalapenos, and roasted garlic (if I'm feeling particularly motivated) and mix in with a fairly lean ground beef. They're tasty without being dry or greasy but I've never had anyone do more than drive 'cross town for'em. :)

Anyway, I'm sure we can find a way to get someone from DIA to FTG but it probably won't be a flight (unless Mari can swing that in her twin Cessna). I'm allergic to $ignature.

Anyway, come one, come all. We'll have some good eats and at the very least some hangar flying. October afternoons can be really nice along the front range:). On the other hand it can snow in October but hopefully we're early enough to avoid that.

And a note to Anthony: you may think yours is faster but I know mine is bigger and goes longer.:D

Can easily get on a standby flight on United though and have someone pick us up at DIA. :)
There's a mission for someone! It's about a 5 minute flight if that. :)

Edit: I didn't mean for me. That Twin Cessna is pretty costly...

Last edited:
I might make it. Have to fly to Santa Barbara on Wednesday the 14th anyways....

Hey Anthony - I was wondering if Clark is in your old hangar when I met him out there last month. I can't recall if you were in the 2nd row or 3rd?

I'll drive over to pick you up - it's about 15 min. from FTG.

Hmmmmm....

Only an entry level H-D in miles...

Sadly, we are unable to attend. I can't figure out how we can sit around with nothing to do socially for weeks on end, and then suddenly we have 4 obligations on the same day? Have fun!

You may be lucky Greg since the weather forecast looks rotten. I may need the grill going to heat the hangar on Saturday.

At least the weather is decent today. I'm planning to finish the baffle seal replacement this afternoon.

Are we still doing this in the snow? I can probably make it but I need directions to the hangar.

I'll be there Saturday - rain, snow, or shine. I'll probably plan on firing up the grill around 1'ish but hey, it's gas so it can burn as required. I suspect at least Blanche will show up and maybe a couple non-pilot friends. Don Nelson might stop by since he's usually at the airport anyway. For those who may not know Don he has a Sukhoi that he does airshow work in and he's a heck of a good guy. I used to rent hangar space from him.

Anyway, the hangar is in the southwest corner of the hangars at FTG. The directions are: driving north towards the terminal on Front Range Pkwy take the first right and then turn right again (instead of running into the t-hangars in front of you). The next turn is left (you're now on the souther-most taxiway in the hangar area) and drive to the second t-hangar building which is T-33. I'm on the east side the second hangar from the south end. The attached file has a couple maps.

Finished with the baffle seals last night and the Dakota is ready to fly. From the looks of the forecast we may be limited to hangar flying.

Attachments

• FTGmap.pps
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
what time on Saturday? In addition to my World Famous Chocolate Brownies (do you prefer plain, pecans or walnuts?) do we have preferences for beverages?

RE: directions, the building numbers, e.g. T33, are on the ends of the buildings. Most of the rows of hangars run N-S.

OK, just one question. Do you have electricity in your hangar? I was thinking of bringing something warm in a crock pot. Don't know what yet.

Mari - Yup, got power. Something warm in a crock pot would be wonderful.

Blanche - I'm planning on firing the grill around one o'clock. I'm more of a walnut fan than pecan for brownies but I'm sure that tastes vary. I'm sure that your choice, whatever it may be, will be good.

As for beverages, I keep bottled water in the hangar so we shouldn't need any more of that. I'm thinkin' whatever suits your tastes will work. Engineers rarely go wrong on beverages. My fall-back plan for anybody who wants soft drinks or coffee is to make a run over to the FBO.

Thanks you two - this'll turn out much better than I planned with just burgers and brats and chips. :smile:

Ok, the burgers are stuffed with onion, jalapeno, and bell peppers. Extra onions and peppers are chopped if anyone wants some on their brat. Nothing left to do for the burgers except grill'em. Well, there is the tomato issue. The tomato is just sitting on the counter and it doesn't appear that it will slice its self. I'll give it 'till morning...

Blanche helped change the lightbulb in the hangar so we will have light tomorrow even if we have to leave the door closed against the cold. I'm hoping the cold front will be pushed east and it'll be warm tomorrow but the weather reports are depressing. Oh well, at least we can hangar fly...

How many pilots does it take to change a light bulb? :) Have fun and wish I could join you!

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KFTG 101455Z 09010KT 03SM BR VV007 M07/M08 A3023[/FONT]
[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KDEN 101511Z 11009KT 3SM -SN BKN009 OVC015 M08/M09 A3023 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 7 SNB00 SN VRY LGT P0000

Nice weather for a BBQ! I'm cooking chili as we speak and will be there at about 1300 unless I get that phone call from work which I think is relatively unlikely at this point but you never know.
[/FONT]

How many pilots does it take to change a light bulb? :)

Why two of course...one to climb the ladder and the other to ***** about the cost.

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KDEN 101511Z 11009KT 3SM -SN BKN009 OVC015 M08/M09 A3023 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 7 SNB00 SN VRY LGT P0000

Nice weather for a BBQ! I'm cooking chili as we speak and will be there at about 1300 unless I get that phone call from work which I think is relatively unlikely at this point but you never know.
[/FONT]

You could bring the twin Cessna over and show us how to handle this weather...

Anyway, I've got spoons and bowls and grated cheese and chopped onions. No crackers though.

Headed out there soon to turn on some heat. Don't get your hopes up though, it's just little heat.

[/FONT]

Yeah, thanks for the weather on Thursday :frown2:

Came into DEN on Wed. night - the temp was 50F - the thermometer in the car showed 33F on our way to our meeting Thurs *and it was snowing), and I had to scrape the car before heading back to DEN for a 5 AM flight Friday.

One of the folks I was meeting with called it "Dayton Weather".... :rolleyes:

Ok, the burgers are stuffed with onion, jalapeno, and bell peppers. Extra onions and peppers are chopped if anyone wants some on their brat. Nothing left to do for the burgers except grill'em. Well, there is the tomato issue. The tomato is just sitting on the counter and it doesn't appear that it will slice its self. I'll give it 'till morning...

Dang that sounds good... :frown3:
I'll have to console myself with BBQ and beer from the anniversary party at my brew pub, followed by a bonfire at the airport...
Still, those burgers sound mighty fine... :yes:

Came into DEN on Wed. night - the temp was 50F - the thermometer in the car showed 33F on our way to our meeting Thurs *and it was snowing), and I had to scrape the car before heading back to DEN for a 5 AM flight Friday.
Friday (yesterday) actually turned out pretty nice. Today not so much so. But I had a great time with Clark and Blanche eating burgers, chili and brownies while trying to get close to the space heater. Thanks for hosting Clark, you picked a great day! :D

Back