Bayer thinks you need a sharp mind to fly

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Anybody seen the new Bayer TV commercial for their new "Vitality and Sharp Mind" product? They show a middle aged guy flying a 182RG. His mind is so sharp he's pulling and turning the yoke as he begins to taxi! It ends with the 182 in flight.

BTW, the product itself is just a multivitamin with Ginkgo Biloba Extract (leaf) hoo-doo. The fish oil is worthwhile. I take it. I'll bet taking the combo this way is relatively expensive.
http://www.bayernutritionalscience.com/nutritional/vital.aspx

I recall that commercial but didn't pay attention to what all they were saying. I guess I wasn't very sharp at the time.

I do recall how ridiculous it looked with this guy handling the plane. It was not a good image for GA.

compared to most of the press GA gets, I didnt think it was that bad really. I think the airplane was a 210 actually. but it was a cool looking guy in a cool looking airplane flying over cool looking terrain.

Hey, I pull and turn the yoke when taxiing, if wind conditions demand it. Maybe he really WAS sharp, and was properly compensating for winds (which of course you can't sense on TV).

Hey, I pull and turn the yoke when taxiing, if wind conditions demand it. Maybe he really WAS sharp, and was properly compensating for winds (which of course you can't sense on TV).

Me too. Although Tony and I argue over which direction the wind is actually coming from. CFIs--think they know everything.

I saw it the first time today. At the end of the commercial, the landing gear was up, but it looked like he still had some flaps down. If so, any reason? Maybe slow flight with the chase plane?

I've seen worse images of GA. I think some ignorant Hollywood type placed the cuts in the wrong order- it looked to me like he was taking off before taxi too.

Anybody seen the new Bayer TV commercial for their new "Vitality and Sharp Mind" product? They show a middle aged guy flying a 182RG. His mind is so sharp he's pulling and turning the yoke as he begins to taxi! It ends with the 182 in flight.

BTW, the product itself is just a multivitamin with Ginkgo Biloba Extract (leaf) hoo-doo. The fish oil is worthwhile. I take it. I'll bet taking the combo this way is relatively expensive.
http://www.bayernutritionalscience.com/nutritional/vital.aspx

Wow .. guess I better get some of that if I'm going to fly since
I'm old.

LOL, I just saw the commercial. That's pretty funny. Nothing like applying control deflection straight back during the taxi...

Not a bad commercial though, he seemed like a regular guy, not a rich dude.

Good enough for me!

LOL, I just saw the commercial. That's pretty funny. Nothing like applying control deflection straight back during the taxi...

Not a bad commercial though, he seemed like a regular guy, not a rich dude.

Good enough for me!

I wonder if the actor really was a pilot. Even if he told the director he wouldn't be messing with the yoke during taxi, they could have made him look stupid just by editing it in that sequence.

I know the actor, Steve King, who got the role of the federal prison jet captain in "U.S. Marshalls." He is a private pilot, although he's lapsed now.

I remember when he told me he got the role. "As an extra?" "Ummm..No."

We need to have a rule that you have to consult with Sidney Pollack if you have an aircraft in your production. He was great in last night's "The Sopranos."

Last edited:
I was sort of hanging around on the periphery when they filmed parts of "Final Countdown". All of the shots of the E-2 Hawkeye backend was shot at the training lab at NAS Norfolk. They insisted that there weren't enough lights flashing and blinking, and had us light up everything would could make blink or flash. Put most of the equipment in diagnostics mode and they were somewhat appeased, regardless of the reality.

At the end of the commercial, the landing gear was up, but it looked like he still had some flaps down.
I've never seen the ad, but I've heard the plane was a Cardinal RG. In that plane, normal takeoffs are done with 10 degrees of flaps.
-harry

Back