Bawls of steel or just plain crazy?

Just PROFESSIONAL pilots earning their keep..... Impressive flying too...:thumbsup:

Just PROFESSIONAL pilots earning their keep..... Impressive flying too...:thumbsup:

:yeahthat:

Do those plane spotters just hang out all day waiting for planes?

Very nice.

Is it less critical in "big iron" to be aligned with the centerline on touchdown? I suppose the amount of slip is limited with wing-mounted engines.

Fun to watch,wouldn't want to be aboard.

Some days at the office are better than others...

Neither, these are working pilots getting a job done. It also demonstrates the inherent safety advantage of tricycle gear, it self straightens to the direction of travel on the main gear. There was only one of those, looked like an MD-80-717... that I thought was reall ybad/dangerous. He was way too fast driving it on flat. I was afraid he was going to put down the nose gear first, and in those conditions that could be catastrophic, especially carrying that much extra speed.

I hate when they post my flying on youtube.

Neither, these are working pilots getting a job done. It also demonstrates the inherent safety advantage of tricycle gear, it self straightens to the direction of travel on the main gear. There was only one of those, looked like an MD-80-717... that I thought was reall ybad/dangerous. He was way too fast driving it on flat. I was afraid he was going to put down the nose gear first, and in those conditions that could be catastrophic, especially carrying that much extra speed.

yeah.... me too... The one way left of center and headed to the grass before he got it straightened out....

Strangely enough. the one turbo prop ( Dash 8) ? did the best, but maybe he hit it right between gusts...

Still... Impressive flying for all those pilots..:yes:

Yes.

One friend jokes that he never wants to screw up in Narita, Japan... there's always 20 cameras minimum taking photos of every aircraft landing there. :)

Will make the NTSB job a bit easier though...:yes:.....;)

Seems like these were all from the same 3 or so airports.

Amazing how un-level many of the runways are in that video! :D

Amazing how un-level many of the runways are in that video! :D

Long lenses accentuate that.

I landed our RV-8A yesterday in a 28 knot, 70 degree crosswind. It was the most I've ever landed the RV in, but it was a non-event thanks to that really big (relative to its size) tail-dragger rudder.

I actually started to run out of rudder coming down final, but I knew it would settle down when I flew into ground effect, and it did. Fun times, flying in South Texas after a big cold front blows through!

Only if asked, Japan has their own version.

OK.....

Altho I thought Japan Airlines used the NTSB as the front team to uncover the JAL 747 crash problem..... Failed rear pressure vessel bulkhead...

Last edited:
I think any country can request the assistance of NTSB in accident investigation regarding a US carrier, or a politically expedient accident involving US Citizens, I don't believe NTSB can force such assistance if a country says, "We've got this."

Maybe someone here knows how that works in International law.

I think any country can request the assistance of NTSB in accident investigation regarding a US carrier, or a politically expedient accident involving US Citizens, I don't believe NTSB can force such assistance if a country says, "We've got this."

I "thought" that if it was a American made commercial aircraft, the NTSB shows up regardless if they are called or not...

Correct, they get the information if there are US citizens, or it's a US product, but unless they are asked, they don't get in the investigation unless it's a U.S. flag carrier. That said, they get asked into a lot of them especially in countries that don't have the resources to field an NTSB type agency.

Only if asked, Japan has their own version.

I "thought" that if it was a American made commercial aircraft, the NTSB shows up regardless if they are called or not...

The NTSB will investigate any accident that involves a US certificated air carrier or an accident that involves a US produced product (Boeing, GE, etc) anywhere in the world.

And the NTSB will assist in international investigations on other accidents on request.

Last edited:
I hate when they post my flying on youtube.
Photos of me and my aircraft are on flightaware and a video of me on youtube courtesy of plane spotters... and it wasn't a particularly flattering video lol

ERJ 134/145.

What was it about those landings that you think caused you to have trouble?
One night I was laying in bed thinking about it, and I realized I was subconsciously carrying too much speed and trying to level the wings. I also was having trouble keeping on top of the gusts. Since then, crosswinds became no problem. A hell of a windy day at Brenham sure helped with the confidence after that, as well.

One night I was laying in bed thinking about it, and I realized I was subconsciously carrying too much speed and trying to level the wings. I also was having trouble keeping on top of the gusts. Since then, crosswinds became no problem. A hell of a windy day at Brenham sure helped with the confidence after that, as well.
Isn't it funny how that works? One day, the light just comes on, and everything is easy and makes sense.
:)

Carrying too much speed, and you were using reduced flaps.

I still avoid 40 degrees with gusty crosswinds.

Why? They are your brakes that allow you to slow down quickly and plant the plane and dump your lift. Reducing flaps increases float and increases your exposure to upset. If you need extra energy for the rudder, full flaps helps you there because you can add power and prop wash which is more effective than straight airspeed. Mechanical energy from the engine shuts down much quicker than kinetic energy, all you have to do is pull the throttle, not bleed off airspeed in the reduced drag ground effect environment.

That plane has flaps 40 for a reason.

Last edited:
Back