Bawls of steel or just plain crazy?

Very nice.

Is it less critical in "big iron" to be aligned with the center-line on touchdown? I suppose the amount of slip is limited with wing-mounted engines.

-The main gear struts on almost all jets have shimmy dampeners and are allowed to torque some.

-Wing Mounted engines cannot accept much bank, so the a combination slip//crab method is preferred until round out..then its almost all de-crab..if you run out of rudder so be it...its is easy to put a pod or a wing in the ground.

-You cant flare to much ..a flatter landing is preferred especially in gusty winds..(if you balloon ) you can stall an aileron causing a fairly violent roll moment..which again jeopardizes the engines and wing tips...this can be unwelcome surprise 10 feet of the runway......usually folks new to airliners experience first hand that forcing the "Cessna" technique on something much bigger doesn't work out so well :)

Last edited:
I am going to come back on a warm day and show you how that plane can land as short as it takes off.;)

I can do that too.....

When I give people rides... Their first flight will NOT be to scare the siht out of them......

Why? They are your brakes that allow you to slow down quickly and plant the plane and dump your lift. Reducing flaps increases float and increases your exposure to upset. If you need extra energy for the rudder, full flaps helps you there because you can add power and prop wash which is more effective than straight airspeed. Mechanical energy from the engine shuts down much quicker than kinetic energy, all you have to do is pull the throttle, not bleed off airspeed in the reduced drag ground effect environment.

That plane has flaps 40 for a reason.
My DPE gave me crap for the same reason lol. I suppose I just notice less effect of the gust with the barn doors up a little. I also give myself a little extra edge for a go-around if I screw it up with gusty crosswinds, and cleaning up that enormous drag takes some more effort. Once I have a few more hours under my belt (I still haven't reached 50 due to weather and mx), I'll probably be more comfortable trying to fly in that configuration under those circumstances.

Nope, you really need to start using full flaps and quit landing that thing at 60, it lands like **** at 60, it's meant to land at 30.
30?! Vs0 is like 37. 50 I can see, 55-60 is normally what I aim for with flaps.

My DPE gave me crap for the same reason lol. I suppose I just notice less effect of the gust with the barn doors up a little. I also give myself a little extra edge for a go-around if I screw it up with gusty crosswinds, and cleaning up that enormous drag takes some more effort. Once I have a few more hours under my belt (I still haven't reached 50 due to weather and mx), I'll probably be more comfortable trying to fly in that configuration under those circumstances.

I "think" was was talking about my STOL deathtrap....

www.haaspowerair.com

Not your plane, I was talking about Bens, you should be at 40 over the threshold. Remember, your published V speeds are calculated at gross, if you are not at gross your VSo will be below the white arc. Also remember that in the flare you are in ground effect, so VSo is even lower.

Your plane will climb out with flaps 40 like a bat out of hell unless you have it packed to the gills, then it will still outclimb a clean 152. The effects of the gust are lower because you are going faster relative to them, you can still do that carrying flaps 40, just carry more power, and that gives you the advantage of more prop wash.

Last edited:
I "think" was was talking about my STOL deathtrap....

www.haaspowerair.com
Deathtrap? Looks like an interesting ride.

Not your plane, I was talking about Bens, you should be at 40 over the threshold. Remember, your published V speeds are calculated at gross, if you are not at gross your VSo will be below the white arc. Also remember that in the flare you are in ground effect, so VSo is even lower.

Your plane will climb out with flaps 40 like a bat out of hell unless you have it packed to the gills, then it will still outclimb a clean 152. The effects of the gust are lower because you are going faster relative to them, you can still do that carrying flaps 40, just carry more power, and that gives you the advantage of more prop wash.
Absolutely they come down, but the difference between base empty and MGW is like 5kts.

Climbing like a bat out of hell with 40? Must be a worn out bat :yes: I've never experienced what I would call comfortable climb performance with 40 out in any loading.

Deathtrap? Looks like an interesting ride.

Absolutely they come down, but the difference between base empty and MGW is like 5kts.

Climbing like a bat out of hell with 40? Must be a worn out bat :yes: I've never experienced what I would call comfortable climb performance with 40 out in any loading.

You must be spoiled in climbing ability.:lol:

Back