Battery Replacement Costs

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Now You may think this is a jab at certified plane owners, but it truly is not. I read on a thread where a certified plane needed a new battery and it cost $450? :eek: Installed, but at what cost?

I just replaced my Concord RG-25XC, ( seven years of good service cost $210) with an Odyssey PC925 for $170 that should last another 10 years.

Why does it cost so much more for the same battery? :confused:

Let's not turn this into a cert -v- exp ****ing contest. My bladder ain't what it use to be. ;)

Just interested as to what part was installation cost.

Last edited:
Just paid $235 for Concorde 25 xc , the aircraft manual calls for replacing the battery every three years.

Just paid $235 for Concorde 25 xc , the aircraft manual calls for replacing the battery every three years.

Seriously? Every 3 years? Do most owners do this?

Do you have to use a specific battery? Can you upgrade to the new AGM batteries?

I got 7 years out of a Concord using a Battery minder during long periods.

Contrary to popular belief, batteries today last much longer even if not used for extended periods of time. Odyssey can go 3 months without even a trickle charger.

Last edited:
Manual is specific on battery and change cycles .

Okay.

Say I owned your plane. How would I go about applying to FAA for installing a superior battery based on today's technology?

I don't get it. They specify a tire size, but not a specific tire. Yet they feel a need to specify a specific battery model? Why?

With all due respect to another one adhering to those rules that is the dubedt thing I have ever heard of in aviation.

Not sure would like to change out the prop as I only have one choice. Going to look into field approval for prop,may do the same for battery.

Apex Battery has the Odyssey PC925 for about $123 (after coupon code "apex5"). $142 shipped.

Are you trying to say I can't install my own battery?

If you're on the road and your battery dies, how would you replace it without using the mechanic at the field you're stranded at? Or sitting there for a few days waiting for a replacement....

Not sure would like to change out the prop as I only have one choice. Going to look into field approval for prop,may do the same for battery.

Props have changed dramatically over the last 10 years. Can you pic which one to use? Say a Catto prop?

Let's not turn this into a cert -v- exp ****ing contest. My bladder ain't what it use to be.

interesting comment considering it's the entire premise of your original post.

And subsequent ones also!

Gotta little car battery in the Velocity that costs around $100. Been working fine for 3 yrs.

Gotta Concord 24 volt in the B407 at work that costs $3,600. Has to be replaced annually. :(

Now You may think this is a jab at certified plane owners, but it truly is not. I read on a thread where a certified plane needed a new battery and it cost $450? :eek: Installed, but at what cost?

I just replaced my Concord RG-25XC, ( seven years of good service cost $210) with an Odyssey PC925 for $170 that should last another 10 years.

Why does it cost so much more for the same battery? :confused:

Let's not turn this into a cert -v- exp ****ing contest. My bladder ain't what it use to be. ;)

Just interested as to what part was installation cost.

Count your blessings.....:yes:..

Buddy of mine just replaced the battery in his Citation CJ-4.... Battery alone was right at 20,000 $$$$$$$$$:eek::hairraise:

Gotta little car battery in the Velocity that costs around $100. Been working fine for 3 yrs.

Gotta Concord 24 volt in the B407 at work that costs $3,600. Has to be replaced annually. :(

I think our battery in the Citation had to be replaced every two years, still cheaper than maintaining the old Ni-cad!:mad2::mad2:

Because the manual says I have to use a Gill G-242.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/gillg242.php

And they cost $374, plus shipping. I paid $450 because I bought it locally (they did the initial charging, which is a plus) and had to pay sales tax.

Why a Gill G-242 for a Lycoming O-320? Because the put the same battery in all of the TB series aircraft. That means that the battery is spec'd for starting a Lycoming IO-540. It is a bit of overkill for my plane. (Edit: O-320-D2A)

The good news is that the previous battery lasted over 6 years.

Jim

Last edited:
interesting comment considering it's the entire premise of your original post.

And subsequent ones also!

So now I can't even ask the questions? It's my thread! ;)

Seriously, how can you guys put up with such nonsense?

How does it feel maintaining a part 91 airplane to part 135 standards?

Please look up your magneto, engine, prop, flamable fluid hoses, mx intervals for me.

Back