Battery overcharging?

CA182R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CA182R
I accidentally configured the charger for 20hrs charge (2A) and I'm wondering if this will overcharge the battery... Gill G-243. Any thoughts? I'll know when I get back to the hangar but that won't be for 2 days, so I'm a little anxious..

I accidentally configured the charger for 20hrs charge (2A) and I'm wondering if this will overcharge the battery... Gill G-243. Any thoughts? I'll know when I get back to the hangar but that won't be for 2 days, so I'm a little anxious..

I would say no, 2 amps is pretty low. Even if it was on non stop you should be ok. Might want to check the water in the battery. Should do that anyway a couple times a year.

I use the same battery. I use a Battery Minder on mine a few times a year. I have left it on for a few days at a time.

The charger is a TDMC-90.

That's a $1000 charger! It is supposed to go to a "float charge" after it times out, in which case you could leave it connected indefinitely. Check the manual to be sure, but I certainly would not worry about a couple of days.

If this was a new G243 I suspect you over charged the battery. I doubt it damaged it.

The charger is a TDMC-90.
You're okay. It automatically goes into float when charge level is reached. As mentioned above there is a procedure to keep charger always connected.

My experience with Gill 243 batteries is they have a descent charge after the acid is added and the time to charge at a low rate takes no where near 2 days. My recollection is they are a 10AH battery.

time to charge at a low rate takes no where near 2 days
Are you familiar with the TDMC-90 charger? If not your "time to charge" is moot as this charger automatically prevents over/under charging, etc.

Now if talking about using an auto/marine type charger then sure it could get overcharged as most charge at higher rates, don't compensate, and some older models apply a constant charge until they are unplugged. These could definitely overcharge and damage the battery.

With a Teledyne or similar charger no. It's the reason my first question was what type of charger.

Thanks for all the replies. I will see it in person tomorrow. But today, all the anxiety was gone :)

No problem with the battery. The TDMC-90 is a great charger.

Back