battery operated control line airplane

You guys are complicated with your toys... When I was little I played with this non-stop.

Attachments

• 43414561_614.jpg
    43414561_614.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 31
Different color scheme but I had one or two or three.
I would spend hours in my garage with that thing.

I remember mom would get so ****ed because I used up all the D Cell batteries.
Not sure what that was about.

Loved that little plane.

Cox u-control. You had to watch your fingers when you finger propped it to get it started.

Never had a control line airplane. I built a ton of airplane models that we usually shot with BB guns or burned while making epic 8mm war films.

I did have the verti-bird and have one in the basement I bought for the kids when they were little.

I also built a bunch of balsa wood rubberband models.

301lcBox.jpg

It's technically not a "control line" plane as the line provides NO control. A real control line plane has two lines running out to the plane that work the elevator. It's pretty impressive watching the guys who really know how to work these things fly them.

I've had my share of Cox control line planes. Fun times.

My cousin had a Vertibird. That was a blast.

I had lots of Guillow gliders and rubber band powered planes. I owned and flew several Cox .049 powered CL planes. PT-19 (2), Corsair, P-39 Aircobra. I built and flew a .049 powered combat plane (flying wing), a heavily modified Guillow SE-5A (designed and marketed as either rubber band or .020 free flight, but I built and flew it as a .049 powered control line. Draggy as all get out but would loop like there was no tomorrow!), Fox .36 powered Ringmaster Imperial. That was a heck of a lot of fun because of the large scale. I crashed it and rebuilt it twice. I never made the jump to R/C because of price.

John

So the Toy airplane got me thinking when the first time I had exposer flying and airplane.

Well it was this. I think I was 7 Years old when I owned one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Electromic-Flash-Remote-Control-Plane-Battery-/360440888346

Did anyone else have one of these as a kid?
I do recall something like that. But it was a long time ago.

Mostly, we made our own U-control airplanes, both gas and electric. We even had some electric ones that we flew in the basement using a train transformer or battery charger - with brushes in a pylon and a string that ran out the center to control the elevator.

My cousin had a Vertibird. That was a blast.

I had lots of Guillow gliders and rubber band powered planes. I owned and flew several Cox .049 powered CL planes. PT-19 (2), Corsair, P-39 Aircobra. I built and flew a .049 powered combat plane (flying wing), a heavily modified Guillow SE-5A (designed and marketed as either rubber band or .020 free flight, but I built and flew it as a .049 powered control line. Draggy as all get out but would loop like there was no tomorrow!), Fox .36 powered Ringmaster Imperial. That was a heck of a lot of fun because of the large scale. I crashed it and rebuilt it twice. I never made the jump to R/C because of price.

John

I built a fabric covered control line plane with an .049 engine when I was in the 4th grade. Never flew it as we couldn't get the motor to start and it got damaged somehow. My first success at flying control line was a Cox PT-19 at Disneyland. Yup, back in the mid 1960s they had a place in Tomorrowland where kids in the crowd could go inside the cage and fly one. After that we built another all wood control line plane which flew (we got the motor started, finally). That was fun.

I had a friend in college who had a control line P-51 that had a .45 engine up front. Pretty sure that was the size, was was dramatically bigger than the .049 I played with. It had a fuel tank mounted on the side of the fuselage behind the engine. The flaps were tied to the elevators and moved in the opposite direction. Up and down really worked on that plane. He was flying a bit low one day and clipped the landing gear on a parking lot curb and sheared the gear off. The plane flew just fine without it, but you had to make sure the engine had quit before landing, otherwise it was new prop time.

Ah, memories...

In 1973 at age 14, I worked in a flight school. I brought my Vertibird in on rainy days and guys used to line up to fly the thing for 10 cents for 5 minutes. We used upside down Dixie cups as elevated platforms to land on. So much fun and great memories. Mike G (47N)

These days for what those POS things cost you can buy an RC Gyrostabilized helicopter that you can fly indoors and that'll fly circles around the older stuff. Kids today have it good.

These days for what those POS things cost you can buy an RC Gyrostabilized helicopter that you can fly indoors and that'll fly circles around the older stuff. Kids today have it good.

Or a quadcopter the size of the palm of your hand that fly indoors.

"Hey Dad you actually had to use your hands to fly those things with that string attached"

Back