BasicMed - Done!

Exactly! That's why:
  1. I won't go to an AME for BasicMed and never made my AME my PCP.
  2. I would not go to an AME while I had a current 3rd Class unless I had a reportable change of condition under a Special Issuance.
Concur, I never considered going to an AME for BasicMed. An AME "works" for the FAA - you just get to pay for the exam. As far as I know, I'd pass a Third Class without a problem. . .but I'm older now, and no reason to risk it, as BasicMed fills the bill for my flying future.

The Third Class was always a pointless, very low value tool; when OKC went radical-stupid on things like sleep apnea, and other "health indicators", that further damaged their credibility. That junk just reeked of bureacratic myopia and arrogance - especially with GA pilot incapacitation being essentially a near-zero occurence; a lot of pilots went through tons of grief and money dealing with that nonsense.

My personsl doctor runs a concierge practice, and didn't have a problem doing the BasicMed form - he likened it to the same sort of form he does for other medical certifications.

My personsl doctor runs a concierge practice, and didn't have a problem doing the BasicMed form - he likened it to the same sort of form he does for other medical certifications.
Exactly my PCP's reaction when I discussed it with her and sent her the form to review.

BTW, for those looking into using BasicMed with their regular doc, this was an inquiry well in advance of actually doing it. I was planning for my next regular physical. I had the same concerns as others have expressed or experienced. Would she do it? Does the office have some policy against it? Is there an eye exam capability issue? I wanted to clear up any questions in advance. I didn't want it to be a surprise for either her or me.

Exactly my PCP's reaction when I discussed it with her and sent her the form to review.

BTW, for those looking into using BasicMed with their regular doc, this was an inquiry well in advance of actually doing it. I was planning for my next regular physical. I had the same concerns as others have expressed or experienced. Would she do it? Does the office have some policy against it? Is there an eye exam capability issue? I wanted to clear up any questions in advance. I didn't want it to be a surprise for either her or me.
I took the same approach with my PCP, but when he saw the FAA's recommended reading list on the BasicMed form, he concluded that he didn't have time to learn enough about the subject to feel comfortable participating. So I went to the AME who had issued my last medical certificate, and didn't have a problem.

That’s what I did, with good success.

Well in advance I emailed my usual clinic, and they said no to a Basic Med exam. I asked who does DOT exams, they recommended another clinic. I emailed that office, they said they were unfamiliar with BasicMed but their newest doctor would do it.

So now I have a new regular doctor. I made the appointment for an annual checkup, then mailed the doctor (USPS) a letter enclosing the FAA form and the AOPA info for doctors.

Only after all that did I go to my appointment. All went well.

Back