Basicmed certificate wants doctor's information

What
What possible information does the FAA glean from having your DL number? That you once read a Snellen chart to some DMV drone's satisfaction and succeeded at parallel parking Dad's Buick?

What possible information does the FAA glean from having your DL number? That you once read a Snellen chart to some DMV drone's satisfaction and succeeded at parallel parking Dad's Buick?

That at the time of issuance, the holder did not have any medical condition that would preclude him or her from operating a motor vehicle.

I just revisited the forms for BasicMed.

I may be missing it, but I see nowhere a place to provide d/l information.

Lacking that, how is it presumed the motive behind the requirement of holding a d/l is access to DUI convictions?

That at the time of issuance, the holder did not have any medical condition that would preclude him or her from operating a motor vehicle.
Well for me that was over 40 years ago.

DL has nothing to do with "health", it's the DUI tracking they want.
You'd have to know the intent of Congress to say that, but the NDR release allows for tracking alcohol related auto convinctions. The assumption is that someone who holds a driver's license meets some minimal state-mandated health standard, such as passing a vision test, and free of certain medical conditions such as epilepsy. Additionally, restrictions on your drivers license would apply when operating under BasicMed as well (see 61.23(c)(3)(i)(A)).

You'd have to know the intent of Congress to say that, but the NDR release allows for tracking alcohol related auto convinctions. The assumption is that someone who holds a driver's license meets some minimal state-mandated health standard, such as passing a vision test, and free of certain medical conditions such as epilepsy. Additionally, restrictions on your drivers license would apply when operating under BasicMed as well (see 61.23(c)(3)(i)(A)).
1) I think it's also an "ID" traceabilty thing (It has you photo on it (maybe that's the original reason)
2) The last time I took an eye test for DL was at least 20 years ago
3) You had to have disclosed any conditions on the original 3rd Class anyway

In AZ, your DL doesn't "expire" until you turn 65. Then you need to go in and renew it with the associated eye test.(every 12 years you need to update your photo but I bet few do; that AZ stipulation might be a "Gotcha" for having a valid DL even though it isn't related to physical condition)

So theoretically, it could be more than 40 yrs between DL "exams" for my kids.

Therefore, it makes more sense to me the DL part(where you have to give the FAA access to your driving records) is less about physical condition and more about DUI or other "Reckless behavior: that might be of note.

But making sense isn't necessarily the requirement......

What

Does the BasicMed system ask for DL number? I don't remember being asked for it.

1) I think it's also an "ID" traceabilty thing (It has you photo on it (maybe that's the original reason)
2) The last time I took an eye test for DL was at least 20 years ago
3) You had to have disclosed any conditions on the original 3rd Class anyway
For the first time in decades, I will be required to take an eye test to renew my driver's license next month. The form also asks about medical conditions that could interfere with driving. It's probably because it's my first renewal after the age of 70.

...So theoretically, it could be more than 40 yrs between DL "exams" for my kids.

Therefore, it makes more sense to me the DL part(where you have to give the FAA access to your driving records) is less about physical condition and more about DUI or other "Reckless behavior: that might be of note.

But making sense isn't necessarily the requirement......
My understanding of FAA regulations is that regardless of whether your state is verifying your health status, if you don't meet the state health requirements to drive, then you don't meet the federal requirements to exercise either sport pilot privileges or BasicMed privileges.

Does the BasicMed system ask for DL number? I don't remember being asked for it.

As I stated above, I don't recall it nor do I see it on the form.

So I think the idea that the whole reason for the d/l requirement is to hang you for a DUI is ill founded.

Unless someone has evidence they'd like to put out there to support their hypothesis.

As I stated above, I don't recall it nor do I see it on the form.

So I think the idea that the whole reason for the d/l requirement is to hang you for a DUI is ill founded.

Unless someone has evidence they'd like to put out there to support their hypothesis.

Additionally, the FAA does not get a copy of your medical form, so if the number was on the form, it would be meaningless to the claim that the FAA will do anything with it.

They do ask medical questions like a 3rd class - "18v, History of (1) any conviction(s) involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug; or (2) history of any conviction(s) or administrative action(s) involving an offense(s) which resulted in the denial, suspension, cancellation, or revocation of driving privileges or which resulted in attendance at an educational or a rehabilitation program". But again, the FAA does not see your answers.

The only relationships that I know of is that it's a requirement of BM to have it for identification and that if you have any restrictions on your license, they are extended to flying as well.

I think I had to enter the drivers license number on the AOPA training course.

But I doubt that has any nefarious purpose behind it.

I just had a physical. The office doesn't want to deal with the FAA form. Awesome. I'm going to find an AME and get this stupid thing done the right way :) I know others have health issues or the potential for that but I should have just found another FAA doc since mine retired.

I just had a physical. The office doesn't want to deal with the FAA form. Awesome. I'm going to find an AME and get this stupid thing done the right way :) I know others have health issues or the potential for that but I should have just found another FAA doc since mine retired.
It's too bad your doctor's office doesn't want to cooperate. From what I've read it's hit or miss with doctors and BasicMed. My PCP had no problem filling out the form during my annual physical (which was free) and I got to ditch my annual SI renewal for my eye condition that required a bunch of expensive testing. BasicMed has worked out great for some of us.

Did you just dump the paperwork on them and ask them to fill it out AFTER the physical? Everyone I know that took the time to educate their PCP and explain the process has had no problem getting the PCP to complete the paperwork...

Did you just dump the paperwork on them and ask them to fill it out AFTER the physical? Everyone I know that took the time to educate their PCP and explain the process has had no problem getting the PCP to complete the paperwork...
yes, I did "dump" it on them. Isn't every extra piece of paperwork at a doctor's office a "dump?" I took the time to "educate" but maybe your education is better and you printed yours out in color.

Do you want an AME or willing to go BM? I recommend John Harris. He's way south for you (Centennial, mile or so north of KAPA). I went for a 3rd class consult first to get the list of what I needed from my GP. Then discovered my GP is very familiar with BM and went that route instead.

Do you want an AME or willing to go BM? I recommend John Harris. He's way south for you (Centennial, mile or so north of KAPA). I went for a 3rd class consult first to get the list of what I needed from my GP. Then discovered my GP is very familiar with BM and went that route instead.
Well, at this point I'd drive there but I don't know what a BM is, at least the kind you're talking about. I'm trying to find someone before 2/18 and so far it's not working out. I like to keep my currency at Vectorair and that's coming up.

Just found a guy in Broomfield to do the exam. Thanks Murphey. $150 cash

You now know someone for whom that wasn't true. I explained it to my PCP and provided him with a copy of the form well in advance, and he decided not to participate.

If you're just going to dismiss reports that don't agree with your premise, that's a pretty biased process.

yes, I did "dump" it on them. Isn't every extra piece of paperwork at a doctor's office a "dump?" I took the time to "educate" but maybe your education is better and you printed yours out in color.
This isn't just a form you drop off with your PCP and ask them to sign it. This is something you bring to your exam and have them fill it out as they're doing it. There are a few things on there that aren't even done during a normal physical such as color vision testing. I called my PCP office and explained it to them and asked if they were willing to do it. They said no problem and I explained all the details before the exam.

This isn't just a form you drop off with your PCP and ask them to sign it. This is something you bring to your exam and have them fill it out as they're doing it. There are a few things on there that aren't even done during a normal physical such as color vision testing. I called my PCP office and explained it to them and asked if they were willing to do it. They said no problem and I explained all the details before the exam.
Well, I learned.

Yup. I encourage people to find a new doctor if yours isn't willing to provide you with the medical services you request.

If you're just going to dismiss reports that don't agree with your premise, that's a pretty biased process.

I didn't just dismiss the report. The only reason I even asked the OP how he approached the PCP is so that others that search these forums may be more successful pursuing BasicMed than the OP. I'm not at all surprised he wasn't successful if he just "dumped" the forms on the PCP. I probably wouldn't have been successful either in the same situation and no one I know has taken that approach. Everyone I know that has been successful pretty much followed the same process:

1) Explain to the PCP the new BasicMed rules and how they differ from the FAA Medical Certification process.
2) Provide the resources put together by AOPA for PCP's to review.
3) Provide the BasicMed physical checklist forms for the PCP to review.
4) Answer any of the questions or concerns the PCP may have.
5) AFTER (1) - (4) have been performed, then ask the PCP if he/she is willing to perform the physical and fill out the forms.

People need to keep in mind that most PCP's probably know nothing about the BasicMed process let alone FAA Medical Certification. It takes a little effort to educate yourself and work with your PCP and for those that don't have SI medicals it is going to be more of a process than just going to your local AME for a physical.

I'm sure there are many PCP's that are unwilling to help with the BasicMed process, but so far those PCP's seem to be in the minority.

Well, at this point I'd drive there but I don't know what a BM is, at least the kind you're talking about. I'm trying to find someone before 2/18 and so far it's not working out. I like to keep my currency at Vectorair and that's coming up.
Sorry - Basic Med.

Give Dr Harris' office a call - he's incredibly understanding and cooperative with Class 3.
(303) 790-1999

Another option closer to you is Robert Sancetta in Boulder. When I called in 2015, I was told he's not taking any more Class 3 unless you're a current patient. However, the Basic Med option may have changed that. Give his office a call at 303-499-5228.

A number of us have traveled to Peoria for Dr Bruce, so you do what ya gotta do, including driving down to Centennial.

I didn't just dismiss the report. The only reason I even asked the OP how he approached the PCP is so that others that search these forums may be more successful pursuing BasicMed than the OP. I'm not at all surprised he wasn't successful if he just "dumped" the forms on the PCP. I probably wouldn't have been successful either in the same situation and no one I know has taken that approach. Everyone I know that has been successful pretty much followed the same process:

1) Explain to the PCP the new BasicMed rules and how they differ from the FAA Medical Certification process.
2) Provide the resources put together by AOPA for PCP's to review.
3) Provide the BasicMed physical checklist forms for the PCP to review.
4) Answer any of the questions or concerns the PCP may have.
5) AFTER (1) - (4) have been performed, then ask the PCP if he/she is willing to perform the physical and fill out the forms.

People need to keep in mind that most PCP's probably know nothing about the BasicMed process let alone FAA Medical Certification. It takes a little effort to educate yourself and work with your PCP and for those that don't have SI medicals it is going to be more of a process than just going to your local AME for a physical.

I'm sure there are many PCP's that are unwilling to help with the BasicMed process, but so far those PCP's seem to be in the minority.
I wasn't talking about the OP, I was talking about myself. I didn't just dump it on him after he did the exam. I did take the time, well in advance, to "educate my PCP and explain the process."

I wasn't talking about the OP, I was talking about myself. I didn't just dump it on him after he did the exam. I did take the time, well in advance, to "educate my PCP and explain the process."

Mea Culpa, my apologies! I'm not sure how/why I missed that you were speaking about a personal experience. That must have been a frustrating experience with your PCP. Were you able to find another physician for BasicMed or did you see an AME and get a medical certificate?

Mea Culpa, my apologies! I'm not sure how/why I missed that you were speaking about a personal experience. That must have been a frustrating experience with your PCP. Were you able to find another physician for BasicMed or did you see an AME and get a medical certificate?
Not really your fault. I was editing my post and adding the personal experience part while you were writing yours.

The AME who issued my last medical certificate is also a PCP who works for the same organization, so I approached him next. He said that it was recommended to have my own doctor do it, but when I explained that mine had declined to participate, he agreed to do it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back