BasicMed and prescription drugs?

Vince R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Vince R
I have a simple question regarding Basic Med...

Let's say I have a 3rd class medical, and when it expires, I decide to go Basic Med instead of renewing it. My private physician examines me, signs the form, I do the class online and I'm ready to go.

Now let's say it's a year later and I have some sort of medical condition pop up - maybe my cholesterol is high, and my doctor puts me on some sort of drug. Am I required to somehow report this to the FAA? I mean, how would I know whether my new medication is on some sort of FAA banned substance list? Or, does it not matter under Basic Med?

AOPA has a section covering most drugs ,both approved and disapproved.

but the list is not definitive either way ... and I believe carries a disclaimer to that effect - maybe infers that it's "not exhaustive"? I would imagine that if a drug is listed as "not allowed", one could bet it's "not allowed". However, just a few weeks ago I found 2 lists, and only 1 was AOPA, where a drug that I was prescribed appeared as "generally not allowed" on one, and I don't think mentioned on the other. So, could be a bit confusing.

What I read says "discuss the med and its effects with your physician..."

For what it's worth, the BasicMed form that you fill out has a link to some FAA guidance on medications that can affect your ability to fly safely:

http://www.faa.gov/go/dni

The complete AME Guide is available from a link on this Web page, under the heading "Resources." The section on pharmaceuticals starts on page 308, and has more detailed information, but contains this caveat:

A list may encourage or facilitate an airmen's self-determination of the risks posed by various medical conditions especially when combination therapy is used. A list is subject to misuse if used as the sole factor to determine certification eligibility or compliance with 14 CFR part 61.53, Prohibition of Operations During Medical Deficiencies. Maintaining a published a list of "acceptable" medications is labor intensive and, in the final analysis, only partially answers the certification question and does not contribute to aviation safety.

Not a doc or a lawyer, but my interpretation is that if you're flying under BasicMed and you develop a condition that isn't disqualifying and you're prescribed a medication that isn't on the list of disqualifying medications then you're good to go. I could be wrong, but I think any medication that could get you into any sort of trouble is most likely treating a disqualifying condition anyway in which case you're grounded until and if you can obtain a Third Class SI. However, if you're in doubt then consult an AME and/or the FAA.

Here's the thing, if your medical condition isn't on the list described in 14 CFR 68.9, the standard that applies for BasicMed is in 61.53...i.e. effects your ability to operate an aircraft in a safe manner. Part 67 doesn't apply to BasicMed. That said, if there's a question as to whether a medical condition or medication effects your ability to fly safely, ask your physician or AME.

So is there a definitive list of what's verboten somewhere?

Medically speaking, yes - 3 things
Cardiovascular disorder
Mental disorder
Neurological disorder

When you take the course...or just google your question...you find them in multiple places, including https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/. There is more detail on what exactly the three things cover. Beyond these three things, the discretion is left up to you. You would be well advised to consult with your doctor if something comes up, not because you're flying but because you have a medical issue.

As was mentioned, you still need to be concerned with medications for the exact reason you were concerned with medication before.

Medically speaking, yes - 3 things
Cardiovascular disorder
Mental disorder
Neurological disorder

When you take the course...or just google your question...you find them in multiple places, including https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/. There is more detail on what exactly the three things cover. Beyond these three things, the discretion is left up to you. You would be well advised to consult with your doctor if something comes up, not because you're flying but because you have a medical issue.

As was mentioned, you still need to be concerned with medications for the exact reason you were concerned with medication before.
Here you go....

Attachments

• AC_68-1(DoNotFly).pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 341
How quickly we forget. It is from the FIRST AC from jan 2016 (AC68-1), when they were obliged by law to respond, and is now part of the AME guide and is in the link “you should consider...” memorandum to the “state Licensed Physician".

Last edited:
Bruce, why's that file named "AC 68-1"? That's not from the BasicMed AC.

BasicMed doesn't change your responsibility to monitor and ground yourself. AC 68-1 is the AME's guide to bad drugs. If it's bad for a 3rd class, you should probably strongly take it under advisement that it's bad for you under BasicMed too. This falls under the "what were they thinking?" when you read about it the day after.

BasicMed doesn't change your responsibility to monitor and ground yourself. AC 68-1 is the AME's guide to bad drugs. If it's bad for a 3rd class, you should probably strongly take it under advisement that it's bad for you under BasicMed too. This falls under the "what were they thinking?" when you read about it the day after.

No. AC 68-1 is the BasicMed advisory circular.

Yes, Brad. It just reflects that you didn’t read the last 1/4 of it, though and you cannot be blamed as it’s super-dense.

Go read instructions to the state licensed doctor, the warning and links are there on page 29, kemosabe :)

It’s near the end but it’s there. Read up.....never post without reading the source material....

Attachments

• Page29, AC68-1, for BRAD..pdf
    84.3 KB · Views: 231
  • AC_68-1.BASIC.med.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Yes, Brad. It just reflects that you didn’t read the last 1/4 of it, though and you cannot be blamed as it’s super-dense.

Go read instructions to the state licensed doctor, the warning and links are there on page 29, kemosabe :)

It’s near the end but it’s there. Read up.....never post without reading the source material....
Wow Bruce, need a snickers?

The original link you posted was to an excerpt from the AME guide.

I know what's in the BasicMed AC. The link to the AME guide you mentioned is on the Comprehensive Examination Checklist, FAA Form 8700-2, that was included in draft form on the original AC and was removed from the follow-up, 68-1a since it was downloadable online and no longer needed in the appendix of the AC.

It's worth noting that the AME guide is helpful guidance for state licensed physicians conducting BasicMed exams, but there is no obligation for them to apply such guidance when signing off an Airman. Nevertheless, it behooves an airman to have some serious conversations with their physician if they have been prescribed a medication that the FAA considers disqualifying.

Wow Bruce, need a snickers?

The original link you posted was to an excerpt from the AME guide.

I know what's in the BasicMed AC. The link to the AME guide you mentioned is on the Comprehensive Examination Checklist, FAA Form 8700-2, that was included in draft form on the original AC and was removed from the follow-up, 68-1a since it was downloadable online and no longer needed in the appendix of the AC.

It's worth noting that the AME guide is helpful guidance for state licensed physicians conducting BasicMed exams, but there is no obligation for them to apply such guidance when signing off an Airman. Nevertheless, it behooves an airman to have some serious conversations with their physician if they have been prescribed a medication that the FAA considers disqualifying.
Isn't this called, "Basic Med and Medications?"

Now see page 7 from 87.2. Funny, looks the same (3rd bullet from the bottom) to me....same link.

Brad I apologize for not carrying my entire resource materials list in my phone. I have sometimes to wait until I can get to a computer! I guess I'll just never post from my phone.

Attachments

• 8700-2_BasicMed.pdf
    414.5 KB · Views: 227
As long as everyone else reading this thread understands that AC 68-1a does not contain guidance on what specific medications are acceptable under BasicMed, I'm happy. No apology from Bruce is needed.

I won’t fly if my medication is on any prohibited list for pilots.

I won’t fly if the label or instructions for my medicines states that it might cause drowsiness or cautions against operating machinery.

I won’t fly if taking a drug makes me feel tired or less sharp.

Really pretty simple concepts.

I am dismayed if any pilot would not place the same restrictions on their flying.

As long as everyone else reading this thread understands that AC 68-1a does not contain guidance on what specific medications are acceptable under BasicMed, I'm happy. No apology from Bruce is needed.
But all, note: It does contain the same link, to the DNF list, as does the same link in 8700-2, all of which have now been posted so it's easy to find it.

That's almost never easy at the agency, unless you know where to look...which was the O.P.'s question.

Interesting topic. I have a question to pose here instead of a new thread. Are there mandatory medical reporting requirements for those with a current 3rd class medical?

-Example- Joe Pilot has a current 3rd class medical and since its issuance has been diagnosed with Hypertension. Now takes prescribed statin to control that was not an issue when medical was obtained pre-diagnosis

Is this a self ground scenario until all the requirements (documentation) are provided as if it was a new issuance? Or is it reported on the next 3rd class renewal?

Interesting topic. I have a question to pose here instead of a new thread. Are there mandatory medical reporting requirements for those with a current 3rd class medical?

-Example- Joe Pilot has a current 3rd class medical and since its issuance has been diagnosed with Hypertension. Now takes prescribed statin to control that was not an issue when medical was obtained pre-diagnosis

Is this a self ground scenario until all the requirements (documentation) are provided as if it was a new issuance? Or is it reported on the next 3rd class renewal?
I treated it as a "report on next medical" sort of thing and my AME didn't object at my next flight physical. But that was before the FAA rescinded my letter of eligibility and put me on an SI. I'm not sure, but it may be that if you're on an SI, it becomes an "adverse health change" that requires grounding and reporting.

That said, I've never heard of a statin being the ONLY medication used to control hypertension... maybe if there is a lipid problem and pre-HTN?? :dunno:

Or is there something else going on?

I treated it as a "report on next medical" sort of thing and my AME didn't object at my next flight physical. But that was before the FAA rescinded my letter of eligibility and put me on an SI. I'm not sure, but it may be that if you're on an SI, it becomes an "adverse health change" that requires grounding and reporting.

That said, I've never heard of a statin being the ONLY medication used to control hypertension... maybe if there is a lipid problem and pre-HTN?? :dunno:

Or is there something else going on?

I just spoke with the folks at AOPA. They said the same thing. The requirement is 'self ground' for (7 days) then if no side effects, can return to flying status then report on next 3rd class or BasicMed application

I misspoke about it being a statin, we are talking lisinopril specifically

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back