Basic Medical and CFI

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Is Basic Medical OK for a CFI?

Are there any restrictions like: a primary student that can’t be PIC? Another pilot with an expired flight review?

Or is a CFI, at any level, not exercising commercial privileges?

Is Basic Medical OK for a CFI?
Yes, from Day 1. There was some issue because of the safety pilot thing, but to the extent it was ever relevant, it was fixed. There is an exception - acting as PIC or required crew in an aircraft that is not BasicMed eligible or in an operation that a pilot could not fly with BasicMed. .
Are there any restrictions like: a primary student that can’t be PIC? Another pilot with an expired flight review?
Nope.
Or is a CFI, at any level, not exercising commercial privileges?
Although these days, a CFI is required to have a commercial certificate (this wasn't always the case), a CFI acting as instructor has for decades been considered to be exercising instructional privileges, not commercial pilot privileges. So, if CFI needs to act as PIC or required crew, BasicMed is enough (subject to the exception mentioned earlier). If not acting as PIC or required crew, a CFI needs no medical certificate at all.

This is actually all in 61.23.

Yes, from Day 1. There was some issue because of the safety pilot thing, but to the extent it was ever relevant, it was fixed. There is an exception - acting as PIC or required crew in an aircraft that is not BasicMed eligible or in an operation that a pilot could not fly with BasicMed. .

Nope.

Although these days, a CFI is required to have a commercial certificate (this wasn't always the case), a CFI acting as instructor has for decades been considered to be exercising instructional privileges, not commercial pilot privileges. So, if CFI needs to act as PIC or required crew, BasicMed is enough (subject to the exception mentioned earlier). If not acting as PIC or required crew, a CFI needs no medical certificate at all.

This is actually all in 61.23.
Thanks. I do remember the SP thing, and that's been fixed.

But 61.23(b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a medical certificate—
(7) When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate if the person is not acting as pilot in command or serving as a required pilot flight crewmember;

This is the thing that I found first. It seems to imply that you can't be CFI if you ARE acting as PIC. And if you have a student pilot, then the the CFI is also PIC?

This is where I think I'm missing something.

Thanks. I do remember the SP thing, and that's been fixed.

But 61.23(b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a medical certificate—
(7) When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate if the person is not acting as pilot in command or serving as a required pilot flight crewmember;

This is the thing that I found first. It seems to imply that you can't be CFI if you ARE acting as PIC. And if you have a student pilot, then the the CFI is also PIC?

This is where I think I'm missing something.
You're definitely missing something. Maybe a lot. Your implication is adding a whole new regulation. All is says is that if the CFI is not acting as PIC or required crew no medical clearance of any kind is required. That does not in any way imply that a CFI cannot be the PIC, just that you need to look at another reg.

Like 61.23(a)(3)(iii):
Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate--(iii) When exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate and acting as the pilot in command or as a required flightcrew member, except when operating under the conditions and limitations set forth in § 61.113(i);​

Or 61.23(c)(1)((vi):
A person must hold and possess either a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a U.S. driver's license when--​
Exercising the privileges of a flight instructor certificate and acting as the pilot in command or as a required flight crewmember if the flight is conducted under the conditions and limitations set forth in § 61.113(i).​

Matthew there are two kinds of PIC: Sole manip of the controls in an a/c for which you are otherwise rated; and PIC-legally responible for the operation of the a/c......But I think you knew this.

You can be legally responsible for a ship <=6,000 lbs at 18,000 ft and below, IFR or VFR on a Basic.

Matthew there are two kinds of PIC: Sole manip of the controls in an a/c for which you are otherwise rated; and PIC-legally responible for the operation of the a/c......But I think you knew this.

You can be legally responsible for a ship <=6,000 lbs at 18,000 ft and below, IFR or VFR on a Basic.
Thanks.

I’m trying to look a couple years down the road based on current circumstances.

Back