basic med question

weekend pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
weekendpilot
my friend was involved in a gear up landing a month ago he was on basic med since 2020. The problem is to be eligible for basic med you need to have held a class 1,2, or 3 thru july 2006. he had a class 3 that expired in aug 2005. The faa told him his basic med is not valid for the reason of not holding a medical thru 2006. What do you think happens from this point forward in regards to the faa violating this pilot?

I'm not a lawyer, but it looks to me like he is vulnerable to some type of enforcement action.

Missing the cutoff for BasicMed by 11mo is really hard to sell as "oh, that was an innocent mistake". Would be interesting to understand the reason they went for this approach instead of getting another class 3 medical one more time, since it seems your friend already had one previously. I can think of a few scenarios, but none that are going to make the FAA happy about the situation.

Regardless of reason, though, every flight your friend took as PIC after Aug 2005 that required a medical (BasicMed or higher) was factually illegal. Depending on where your friend flew, how often they flew, if they had regular passengers, I could see the FAA being particularly unamused. Not sure if will be something like "Your 586hrs are now 87hrs (whatever you had in Aug '05)" or "Your certificates are now trash. You can try again after a (defined) delay."

Another consideration would be the insurance company. While the basicMed itself (probably) didn't cause this accident, now that they know that your friend has been flying w/o a valid medical, I think they may have some concerns they will want to discuss w/ them about the situation. I could also see insurance (whether your friend's, FBO, friend of a friend, etc) refusing to pay for this mishap since the pilot was not legal to be PIC.

Considering the response the FAA has had to some high profile pilots in the recent past, I doubt this will be a "You're forgiven. Go forth and sin no more." situation for your friend.

my friend was involved in a gear up landing a month ago he was on basic med since 2020. The problem is to be eligible for basic med you need to have held a class 1,2, or 3 thru july 2006.
I'm a little confused about this part.
I thought you had to have held an FAA medical AFTER july 2006, not thru 2006.
Of course though, if ti lapsed in 2005, then he didn't have a valid medical after 2006, so in 2020, NO, he wasn't legal for BM.

Too early? Not enough coffee yet?

I'm a little confused about this part.
I thought you had to have held an FAA medical AFTER july 2006, not thru 2006.
It's amazing how many strange interpretations I've heard of this simple language.

"At any point after July 14, 2006, have held a medical certificate issued under part 67"

Missing the cutoff for BasicMed by 11mo is really hard to sell as "oh, that was an innocent mistake". Would be interesting to understand the reason they went for this approach instead of getting another class 3 medical one more time, since it seems your friend already had one previously. I can think of a few scenarios, but none that are going to make the FAA happy about the situation.

Regardless of reason, though, every flight your friend took as PIC after Aug 2005 that required a medical (BasicMed or higher) was factually illegal. Depending on where your friend flew, how often they flew, if they had regular passengers, I could see the FAA being particularly unamused. Not sure if will be something like "Your 586hrs are now 87hrs (whatever you had in Aug '05)" or "Your certificates are now trash. You can try again after a (defined) delay."

Another consideration would be the insurance company. While the basicMed itself (probably) didn't cause this accident, now that they know that your friend has been flying w/o a valid medical, I think they may have some concerns they will want to discuss w/ them about the situation. I could also see insurance (whether your friend's, FBO, friend of a friend, etc) refusing to pay for this mishap since the pilot was not legal to be PIC.

Considering the response the FAA has had to some high profile pilots in the recent past, I doubt this will be a "You're forgiven. Go forth and sin no more." situation for your friend.

To make matters worse he is telling the FAA the gear collapsed on roll out when it skidded 140 ft with 5 prop hash marks in the runway 4 ft apart, and the faa knows he illegally worked on his plane

he has no attorney
I guess if he doesn't want to get one, he's one his own. Hopefully he won't say or do something along the way to make things worse. Like the people this commenter was talking about.
Cases like this usually involve people who insist they are right or simply lie.

I don't necessarily agree that there is no way to handle this without formal enforcement action. I've seen it happen in cases where, according to many, there was no way the FAA won't lower the boom. Yet they didn't.

Last edited:
my friend was involved in a gear up landing a month ago he was on basic med since 2020. The problem is to be eligible for basic med you need to have held a class 1,2, or 3 thru july 2006. he had a class 3 that expired in aug 2005. The faa told him his basic med is not valid for the reason of not holding a medical thru 2006. What do you think happens from this point forward in regards to the faa violating this pilot?
To make matters worse he is telling the FAA the gear collapsed on roll out when it skidded 140 ft with 5 prop hash marks in the runway 4 ft apart, and the faa knows he illegally worked on his plane
Is this thread tied into the same thread about the illegal work and whether or not you should call the FAA?
Or are these two different situations? Just trying to understand the context here.

hello i know of a plane that experienced a non injury incident . This owner operator is notoriously known to work on his own plane, he is not a certified mechanic and flew the plane for a few months without a proper log book endorsement. the faa is investigating this incident . the day of the incident he was seen with the seats out messing with the plane. His story of what happened is totally the opposite of what the faa assumes so far. Luckily there was no injuries to himself or the passenger. Not sure weather to be silent or report to prevent further safety issues in the future for himself and others.

Tell your friend to join AOPA and pay the add for Pilot Protection Services, which provides assistance for legal and medical matters. They probably won’t make it go away but they may help him navigate the process without making things worse.

Back