Basic Med question

A

Anon

I currently hold a Class 3 as well as Basic Med. Due to a recurrence of kidney stones I was considering letting the class 3 expire and just continue with the BM. I see even on the BM form they ask about kidney stones. So if the answer is yes does that affect anything? My understanding is that the form is not submitted and just kept for my own records. I am not interested, if possible, to have further treatment. I have no other health issues and take no meds so I know the exam itself will be fine. Thanks.

I currently hold a Class 3 as well as Basic Med. Due to a recurrence of kidney stones I was considering letting the class 3 expire and just continue with the BM. I see even on the BM form they ask about kidney stones. So if the answer is yes does that affect anything? My understanding is that the form is not submitted and just kept for my own records. I am not interested, if possible, to have further treatment. I have no other health issues and take no meds so I know the exam itself will be fine. Thanks.
You're fine continuing along with BasicMed. It's not a medical condition that requires a one-time special issuance. Keep in mind 14 CFR 61.53(c) still applies:

"a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner."

I would make sure the doctor treating your kidney stones is aware that you fly aircraft and make sure he or she is okay with you continuing to fly.

Last edited:
So let’s say I went to my primary care doctor today for my annual physical. Let’s say he looked and reviewrd the form and had no problem checking every box and signing it with the exception of the vision.He said that what they were looking for would require an ophthalmologist to complete. I have every box checked and signed except for that one. What to do?

I had the same problem with my PCP. I instead just went to a medical clinic that does CDL medicals for truck drivers. I called ahead, asked if they did basic med, and found one that did them regularly. They do everything including the eye test (OK, not everything - no rectal exam - but no one does that thank goodness!). Cost about $100. Heck, if you have an FSA or HSA you can use that to pay.

So let’s say I went to my primary care doctor today for my annual physical. Let’s say he looked and reviewrd the form and had no problem checking every box and signing it with the exception of the vision.He said that what they were looking for would require an ophthalmologist to complete. I have every box checked and signed except for that one. What to do?
I would ask my primary whether they would check off that box based on a report from an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

It's really whatever the doc is comfortable with. There's no specific vision standards for BasicMed, so your doc may be fine with passing the drivers vision test, a report from another health care provider, or they could have you use an eye chart taped to the wall.

The bottom line is that the doc has to have evaluated each item on the list. It could be in the form of a report from another source, through questioning (as typically is the case regarding your anus), or direct examination. You could always return to the doc with the eye test results from an eye care provider and have the doc sign off on it then.

My doc wondered why to fly he had to examine my anus but not via digital exam to fly. He said “are they worried hemorrhoids going make ya crash?”Lol.

I don’t recall the DPE lookin at the poop shooter…

Last edited:
My doc wondered why to fly he had to examine my anus but not via digital exam to fly. He said “are they worried hemorrhoids going make ya crash?”Lol.

I don’t recall the DME lookin at the poop shooter…

That's because a DME measures distance to a station. ;)

So to finish this story up I wound up just going to a BasicMed doc locally and paid for a new examination. He was surprised my internist couldn't do the eye test.

I don’t recall the DPE lookin at the poop shooter…
I made a copy of the AME guide about the anus exam. It does not require visual examination or digital penetration

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back