Basic Med Question

Joe P

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
Does anyone know if a Military Dr can perform the exam? FAA site say's "State" Licensed MD? I don't know where the Military falls as I am retired Air Force and my primary Dr is on base near my home.

They are very very few! There used to be more but the military has to pay to have and keep them designated.

They are very very few! There used to be more but the military has to pay to have and keep them designated.

I was only asking of the normal Dr's (military) can do the Basic Med checklist. Not looking to see if they have any that can do the actual 3rd class physical.

My military Dr saw me this past Mon for a quick check up for renewing my BP meds. With the exception of the eye test, she basically gave me the same physical? Led me to wonder about them being State Licensed as that's the only requirement for the Basic Med...... She's a Dr working in the Family Practice section of the base clinic.

My military Dr saw me this past Mon for a quick check up for renewing my BP meds. With the exception of the eye test, she basically gave me the same physical? Led me to wonder about them being State Licensed as that's the only requirement for the Basic Med...... She's a Dr working in the Family Practice section of the base clinic.
The military assigns licensed physicians. Recruits in med school may get scolarships. Residence may get other benefits. But, AFAIK, the military doesn't license physicians. States license physicians.

The military assigns licensed physicians. Recruits in med school may get scolarships. Residence may get other benefits. But, AFAIK, the military doesn't license physicians. States license physicians.
Sounds good. By your post, she "should" be licensed. Just have to check with Basic Med is the Dr doing the checklist has to be licensed in my State or in "any" state. Written vague....

Sounds good. By your post, she "should" be licensed. Just have to check with Basic Med is the Dr doing the checklist has to be licensed in my State or in "any" state. Written vague....
I think you are searching for problems where there probably aren't any.

If your doc filled out the form, her state of license and license number are in her signature block. I'd almost be willing to bet it's the state where the clinic is.

Personally, so long as she is an MD or a DO, I wouldn't worry about it. The goal of the "State-licensed physician" was to limit qualifications. They don't want you to have it signed by a faith healer. If your doc is an MD or DO, those are universally "physicians." The only time I'd be concerned about state of license is if the doc is in one of the other healing fields - dentist, chiropractor, optometrist, acupuncturist, etc. Then whether the doc is considered a "physician" in the state where the examination takes place would be an issue. For example, MDs and DOs are licensed as physicians in some all states, but chiropractors might or might not be.

... Just have to check with Basic Med is the Dr doing the checklist has to be licensed in my State or in "any" state. Written vague....
14 CFR 61.23(i)(D) and (E) just refer to needing "a State-licensed physician." It doesn't specify which state the physician must be licensed in.

for basic med ... i stand corrected. A mil doc if licensed can perform. will they?

for basic med ... i stand corrected. A mil doc if licensed can perform. will they?

Some Military Treatment Facilities (MTF) will, some won’t.

MTF clinicians most likely aren’t aware of the program/requirements. The answer is in clinic policy. Most likely if it’s not an approved exam, it’s not going to get done.

So, the question to ask your MTF is who you can talk to to determine if this type of exam can be performed or is approved to be performed at any specific MTF.

But the Doc must list his or her state license number as part of the signature block and the pilot has to enter that number in the form to print out the BasicMed pilot "license".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back