Basic Med problem.....

Cruzinchris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cruzinchris
My GP won't do it. She's in a big medical group and they forbid it!

The Dr. that did my last 3rd Class won't do Basic Med for anyone over 55. Afraid something might happen in the 4 year span that might leave him libel. I think that is BS.

I am 71 years old and hesitant to get another 3rd Class, but not sure why. I am sure I will pass. I was looking forward 4 years of not having to worry about it.

Should I go doctor shopping?

Any recommendations in the San Jose/Monterey Bay California area?

I've been told that many CDL testing centers will do the Basic Med, because they are apparently very similar. I have not tried it yet though.

Depending on where you live Concentra health does basic med, along with CDL's.
$87.00

Look for "doc in the box" places that do physicals for CDL, sports, camps, schools, etc.

The BasicMed exam is not unlike those.

If the doc is not familiar with what BasicMed is, it is helpful to provide info to him. This webpage is a good start for that. https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/fit-to-fly-physician-guide

You might also tell us where you are so other PoA members can steer you to docs who can do the exam.

The list of Docs doing basic med is growing. Ask other pilots in your area,who they recommend. You can also ask this board .

My GP won't do it. She's in a big medical group and they forbid it!

The Dr. that did my last 3rd Class won't do Basic Med for anyone over 55. Afraid something might happen in the 4 year span that might leave him libel. I think that is BS.

I am 71 years old and hesitant to get another 3rd Class, but not sure why. I am sure I will pass. I was looking forward 4 years of not having to worry about it.

Should I go doctor shopping?

Any recommendations in the San Jose/Monterey Bay California area?

Your a pilot and dont know any doctor pilots that hang around your airport???

CDL worked for me. Walked in cold, no problem, quick, inexpensive. Make sure the doctor is a state licensed physician, and you can read the license number because you'll have to put it on the on-line form.

Your a pilot and dont know any doctor pilots that hang around your airport???

I've been a pilot for 15 years and hang out at four different airports, and I don't know any doctor pilots.

I called some CDL places around here and they have never heard of Basic Med and weren't interested in discussing it. I'll probably ride my motorcycle to the City and visit Concentra health. The idea of 4 years and no forms to the FAA is appealing.

Thanks everyone on PoA for your input.

Did you call the Concentra location you have in mind, to confirm that they do BasicMed exams?

Of course they've not heard of basicMed. Just walk in with the form and tell them you need physical with the the items on the form checked. BasicMed is less complicated, fewer items to check than a CDL.

If you are in good health and have used your 3rd class medical examiner in the past, she should be able to do another 3rd class with no problems. Basically, vision OK, heart OK, no underlying medical problems, and you are good to go.

If your GP won’t do it but you find another that will, you should move all of your business to the one that is willing.

If you are in good health and have used your 3rd class medical examiner in the past, she should be able to do another 3rd class with no problems. Basically, vision OK, heart OK, no underlying medical problems, and you are good to go.
A slightly contrarian view: the standards for 3rd class are a bit different than for BasicMed. Even if you can pass and be issued today, there are some conditions that you could develop in the next 2 years that would make it illegal for you to continue to fly under 3rd class but would not necessarily disqualify you under BasicMed. Basically, anything that would require a deferral on a 3rd class exam, I think would require you to self ground if you were flying under 3rd class. Some of that is gray area stuff, and Dr. Bruce has posted in the past that you might get away with just reporting it on your next MedXPress if you aren't a CFI or ATP (tested on Part 67), but generally I think that's true. DM2, certain cancers, etc.

Have you talked with other AMEs about doing a BasicMed exam? I was 62 when a new-to-me AME locally here did my exam, and that was after a significant issue that discouraged me from ever trying to go the 3rd class route again. He had no worries about liability for the over-55 crowd. I suspect that might be a policy that only a minority of AMEs follow.

If you're looking for an AME to do your BasicMed examination, look for one who had broader medical practice. AMEs who only do FAA medicals often do not have the robust medial malpractice insurance necessary to do BasicMed (where liability shifts from the FAA to the physician conducting the exam). AMEs who are GPs, practice ocupational medicine , etc. are good candidates.

Call AOPA and ask them about Basicmed doctors in your area. They’re supposed tto have a list from what I’ve read. My AME did mine. If you AME won’t? Call around to other AMEs to find one that will.

If only it were that simple. The FAA medical division has a somewhat obsessive notion of what constitutes good health, and especially of what measures and expenses are justified to demand of an applicant to prove it. AOPA and others didn't engage in a multi-year struggle for medical-certification reform just for the fun of it.

If you're looking for an AME to do your BasicMed examination, look for one who had broader medical practice. AMEs who only do FAA medicals often do not have the robust medial malpractice insurance necessary to do BasicMed (where liability shifts from the FAA to the physician conducting the exam). AMEs who are GPs, practice ocupational medicine , etc. are good candidates.
Indeed, this is a good point. The clinic where the AME works who signed me off is an urgent care clinic, and I believe that is part of his practice as well. I'm not sure whether he practices occupational medicine in general, but he is a GP.

Did you call the Concentra location you have in mind, to confirm that they do BasicMed exams?

Yes. They did mine for $87 in Vegas I just walked into the facility, The woman doc was a DO and not enthusiastic but upon calling "headquarters" did the exam. Easy.
Seems that all locations will do them.

I called some CDL places around here and they have never heard of Basic Med and weren't interested in discussing it. I'll probably ride my motorcycle to the City and visit Concentra health. The idea of 4 years and no forms to the FAA is appealing.

Thanks everyone on PoA for your input.
Some Concentra locations require an appointment, others are walk in only. Call the facility you wish to visit and ask them about Basic Med, the one I called didn't know about BM, but looked it up on the internet and downloaded the forms, then said, "oh sure we can do that"

I’m not sure what age it officially happens but there is some point where you can cut in lines at stores, fart in public openly and fly around without a medical.

Do you think your statement is a little over the top? Just asking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back