Basic med doctor

frfly172

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
ron keating
looking for a basic med Dr. in the Sarasota area,any recommendations?

Your regular doctor is likely to do it. Mine didn’t even do much since she has all my records it was a formality.

Don’t forget nothing goes to the faa. There is no “failing” a basic med exam. If they won’t sign, you walk out exactly the same as you went in.

Last edited:
my Primary does not want to do it. Not comfortable with the liability

I checked the AOPA list for Basic Med doctors, and also checked the FAA list for AME's....found one who was on both lists, used him as he was familiar with both and did not have to be educated about Basic Med.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be anything like a specific "Basic Med" doc... that's one of the things Basic Med was supposed to obviate.. the need to see someone in addition to your regular doctor to affirm that you were safe enough to fly. Having said that, I had to take my GP by the hand and reassure him through the process. Print out the the "Guide For Doctors" or whatever it's called from the AOPA website and give it to the doc.. should help set her/his mind at ease.

Yes, if you can find an AME who also does Basic Med, that would be your best choice as they know the process, and also have the equipment for the vision testing. That last issue might be a consideration, since the checklist also includes color vision and binocular fusion, something many GPs are not equipped to test. My GP wasn't concerned about liability, but I would have had to visit an ophthalmologist anyway for the vision part, so the AME route was the simplest.

Shouldn't be anything like a specific "Basic Med" doc... that's one of the things Basic Med was supposed to obviate.. the need to see someone in addition to your regular doctor to affirm that you were safe enough to fly. Having said that, I had to take my GP by the hand and reassure him through the process. Print out the the "Guide For Doctors" or whatever it's called from the AOPA website and give it to the doc.. should help set her/his mind at ease.
There are still going to be docs who are going to refuse for various reasons, although I expect more will say yes as BasicMed becomes less and less "some new thing I don't fully understand." Doctors probably pick up more liability signing a "return to work" note after an accident than the really have under BasicMed.

I may have gotten one if the more interesting comments from my primary. "No problem, but am I allowed to?" She had done CDL medicals before they were withdrawn from private practitioners and was a bit surprised it was ok for an aviation medical clearance,

I’ve heard that clinics that do DOT trucker physicals will often do basic med as well. No personal experience, however. Good luck!

my Primary does not want to do it. Not comfortable with the liability

Go to any truck stop and look for a bulletin board. You should find business cards from doctors who do DOT physicals and who are okay with the liability aspect.

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back