Basic Med back to HIMs?

Frank Castle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Frank Castle
So I am not renewing my first class as I do not fly for money anymore. I am going with basic med cause that's all I need, and I still rarely fly. If I ever wanted to go back to an FAA medical, does anyone know what that looks like? Can I just go back to monitoring? Do I have to do all the exams again? Just curious cause my HIMs AME doesn't know and maybe it's a case-by-case basis, it just made me curious.
Thanks yall, Hope your 2023 is turning out well.

My understanding is that you have to look at it as a whole new medical, meaning the conditions of the SI may change completely from what would have been required if you had just continued renewing the SI. It can get very expensive.

Keep in mind that you jeopardize your Basic Med if you try to regain an AME assisted medical and fail. For many pilots Basic Med is a one-way journey.

This would really depend on where you are in the program.

For many pilots Basic Med is a one-way journey.
It's doesn't have to be and shouldn't be.

For someone who does intend to go back to holding a medical certificate, BasicMed gives you the time and space to get your consultations in, get your documents in order, and apply for a medical certificate with a special issuance. Remember, a deferral does not disqualify you from operating under BasicMed, so you can continue to fly while CAMI reviews your file. Yes, there's the possibility of a denial, but that can be mitigated by getting good AME support during the application process.

Very few medical conditions are absolute denials, and of the ones that are, you probably shouldn't be flying under BasicMed either.

Remember, anyone operating under BasicMed should always consider the necessity of having to go the medical with SI route. If you ever develop a condition identified in 68.9, that's your only option in order to continue flying.

So I am not renewing my first class as I do not fly for money anymore. I am going with basic med cause that's all I need, and I still rarely fly..
Ok. You can still do some revenue flying as a CFI on BasicMed if you desire.

So …. If I ever wanted to go back to an FAA medical, does anyone know what that looks like?
Standard AF answer; it depends.

Can I just go back to monitoring? Do I have to do all the exams again?
Depends. If you were a 30-yr coke fiend before and drop monitoring, what do you think the FAA would want?

… Do I have to do all the exams again? Just curious cause my HIMs AME doesn't know and maybe it's a case-by-case basis, it just made me curious...
Might be worth a couple bucks to engage @bbchien for a consult. If it’s not, time to hang it up.

BasicMed enables a lot…but it doesn’t enable everything.

...Remember, anyone operating under BasicMed should always consider the necessity of having to go the medical with SI route. If you ever develop a condition identified in 68.9, that's your only option in order to continue flying.

I'm still trying to figure out what Congress meant by the phrase "satisfactory medical explanation of the cause" which appears in 68.9.

Returning to HIMS is a piece of cake so long as you have unbroken proof of sobriety.

But, Without that…not so much….HIMS is not like AFIB. If you quit testing how’re you gonna demonstrate continuous sobriety? How does FAA know you didn’t take a beer break……I’m just say’n but Uncle will be demanding…..

I have this discussion with multiple pilots weekly. Most view it that they’re in it until year seven when they are released from monitoring and remanded to renewals by HIMS AMEs only..but no longer have any monitoring requirement. All they have is the careful listening requirement of the HIMS AME.

I don’t make the rules…but thems the rules.

I do have one guy who went to basic but he still sends me his AA Logs and he still tests. It got too expensive for him but he will eventually return. I have a soft spot for the guy…he’s a graduate of “Mother Rucker”….guys who have been there will understand that.

Last edited:
It's doesn't have to be and shouldn't be.

For someone who does intend to go back to holding a medical certificate, BasicMed gives you the time and space to get your consultations in, get your documents in order, and apply for a medical certificate with a special issuance. Remember, a deferral does not disqualify you from operating under BasicMed, so you can continue to fly while CAMI reviews your file. Yes, there's the possibility of a denial, but that can be mitigated by getting good AME support during the application process.

Very few medical conditions are absolute denials, and of the ones that are, you probably shouldn't be flying under BasicMed either.

Remember, anyone operating under BasicMed should always consider the necessity of having to go the medical with SI route. If you ever develop a condition identified in 68.9, that's your only option in order to continue flying.

It's not the absolute denial as much as the expense involved in getting FAA mandated medical documentation with tests that are not medically indicated, and end being paid for out of pocket by the pilot. Then, if you find it's too expensive to bear you are no longer qualified to operate under Basic Med.

Sometimes it just isn't worth taking the chance of losing privileges altogether.

Returning to HIMS is a piece of cake so long as you have unbroken proof of sobriety.

But, Without that…not so much….HIMS is not like AFIB. If you quit testing how’re you gonna demonstrate continuous sobriety? How does FAA know you didn’t take a beer break……I’m just say’n but Uncle will be demanding…..

I have this discussion with multiple pilots weekly. Most view it that they’re in it until year seven when they are released from monitoring and remanded to renewals by HIMS AMEs only..but no longer have any monitoring requirement. All they have is the careful listening requirement of the HIMS AME.

I don’t make the rules…but thems the rules.

I do have one guy who went to basic, but he still sends me his AA Logs, and he still tests. It got too expensive for him but he will eventually return. I have a soft spot for the guy…he’s a graduate of “Mother Rucker”….guys who have been there will understand that.

Thanks, Im ending year 1 of my S.I., and 80 percent is the expense. I am paying for my Master's Program (or trying to) out of pocket. Since I am not flying, I figure it'll be easier to go back to basic med. If I desire to go to my FAA medical again, I have no problem with monitoring. Life has been easier; not drinking and being abstinent isn't a problem. I do want to teach now and again and fly my family to lunch a couple of times a year. Thanks for your info; it has helped me make a decision.

Frank, if yours is for alcohol or substance, no matter what you do, do not stop testing.....or you will be starting over again from scratch when you try to "get back in".

Frank, if yours is for alcohol or substance, no matter what you do, do not stop testing.....or you will be starting over again from scratch when you try to "get back in".
Thanks, I guess I can set up testing on my own? You think the FAA will accept that? Its for alcohol.
My AME called the surgeon general and was told that they don't know what requirements I would have to do if I choose to come back for an FAA medical. But if I need to keep doing urine test to not have to do the Nuro and Physch evaul stuff again that no problem. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Frank: Doing it on your own isn't credible to FAA. You will need to maintain a relationship with a HIMS AME who then has to tesitfy upon your re-renty, as to randomness and that it meets federal Stds. Understand that "there is no trust" here, on the part of the agency...

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back