Basic IFR Avionics Upgrade

Ryan Harris

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rcharris
Hello, I currently have a Grumman AA1B that's a great little plane for my current mission (VFR pilot - short hops in the local area and within the state).

I'm considering upgrading it for a basic IFR trainer with an older approach GPS (Garmin GNC-300XL) + Nav/Comm. Home airport has an ILS and i'd be looking to do GPS/VOR enroute and nonprecision GPS approaches.Plane currently has basic VFR stack with VALCOM 760 radio, AT150 transponder, and a Trimble TNL2000 AP VFR GPS. Plane was wired years ago with VOR & MB antenna. I've got access to an AP/IA who can help me out with the paperwork if I do the legwork. Not interested in a Garmin 430, looking to keep the install cost barebones and get a 2nd radio. Keeping weight down is also critical since there is not much wiggle room until i'm single pilot. I like the plane and plan to keep it for a couple of years.

Thinking of the following avionics mix:
Garmin GNC-300XL
King KN-53 w/ Glideslope
VALCOM 760 (works and is free)
PS Eng PMA7000 audio panel w/ MB.

Alternately, substitute VALCOM INS429 for the King KN-53?

I am fuzzy on the annunciator requirements and getting the glideslope info into an appropriate CDI.. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I have a pristine Apollo GX50 and SL 30 and ACU (switching annunciator) combo that work great. Small form factor, and very reliable. Might be pulling them out soon for a panel WAAS due to this Navworx thing. You would still need OBS/GS indicator.

KN53 is a reliable, rock solid radio that's small in the panel. get one!

The SL30 can drive many different CDIs where the KN53 is more limited.

Finding a nice CDI for the KN53 can be a challenge, they are pricy too. IMHO the ValAvionics INS 429 is probably a better value.

For IFR training I'm not sure you really want the INS429 without the compass rose on the OBS.

http://www.valavionics.com/ins-429.html

I strongly recommend looking at what approaches are in your area to check requirements prior to radio mods.

Back