Basic Basic Med question

Sam Gordon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SamG
I did my Basic Med physical exam.
I did the online Basic Med course.

I have print outs and e-copies of both documents.

I just want to confirm I don't need to upload anything anywhere (to the FAA?), I just keep the documents with my logbook? I assume the electronic copies fulfill FAR 61.3(c)(1)?

(1) A person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft only if that person holds the appropriate medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation acceptable to the FAA, that is in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.

No upload. You don't need a copy with your logbook, you just need it accessible somewhere. An electronic copy (say on your Google Drive) is sufficient.

Continue the reading into section 61.3 (c)(xiii) and (c)(xiv), which lead you to 61.113(i), then to 61.23 and eventually to part 68 (Basicmed)

You're good to go.

Last edited:
No, it needs to be "available in his or her logbook." 61.113(i)(3)

The instructions on the exam form state: The completed checklist shall be retained in the individual's logbook (in any legible paper or electronic format) and made available on request.

Yes, it needs to be kept with your logbook, but it can be kept electronically. My physical copy is in our safe and I keep a copy online. If needed, I'll use the electronic copy.

Nobody should to violate you for not having it immediately available, you aren't required to carry it. I will most likely be able to retrieve the electronic copy on the spot if requested.

The instructions on the exam form state: The completed checklist shall be retained in the individual's logbook (in any legible paper or electronic format) and made available on request.

Yes, it needs to be kept with your logbook, but it can be kept electronically. My physical copy is in our safe and I keep a copy online. If needed, I'll use the electronic copy.

Nobody should to violate you for not having it immediately available, you aren't required to carry it. I will most likely be able to retrieve the electronic copy on the spot if requested.
Retained in your logbook...electronic copy = in electronic logbook.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back