Basal cell carcinoma removed

S

staple-head

My 3rd class medical is due by the end of July.

I had MOHS surgery to remove a basal cell carcinoma from my scalp a few days ago. Everything went well, and they got it all on the first pass. I have some staples that will be removed in two weeks.

I will list the visit to the dermatologist in May, and the surgery in June. Is this something that will require a note from the doctor saying everything went well? I was planning on asking the surgeon for a note when I get the staples removed.

Are there any magic words that should be included in the note? Do I even need a note?

Dr. Bruce should be along to give you the latest skinny on this, but I thought I read somewhere that basal cell was no longer even a deferral but could be handled as a CACI. If that's not true, would BasicMed work for you?

And congratulations on the good report. :)

I have had this in the past (three times so far); always required a letter from the surgeon confirming the diagnosis, the procedure and that all cancerous material was successfully removed. It went in the AME's file and no issuance delay.

Still - I am not the AME, so let's see what Doctor Bruce has to say.

And use your sunscreen!

Are there any magic words that should be included in the note? Do I even need a note?

I don't know if it is required or not. As a belt and suspenders approach, I asked my Dermo for the note, and it came back "blah blah blah completely removed". Sounded good to me. Sounded good to my AME, too. Issued in office!

-Skip

I believe the medical term was “no margins”. I seem to recall Dr. Bruce saying they are requiring a little more these days, but hopefully he will respond to give you a better answer.

Clear margins.

Remain vigilant. My wife fights basal cell and squamous cell skin cancers. It usually isn’t once and done.

Clear margins.

Remain vigilant. My wife fights basal cell and squamous cell skin cancers. It usually isn’t once and done.

I knew it was something like that. “Clear” makes more sense than “no”. Thanks for the correction

Glad it wasn't melanoma. Surgeon digs much deeper, longer recovery. My wife has that type of skin

I’d check with your AME. Mine doesn’t need a note for my basal cell removals. Just note it on the medical visits section of the MedXpress form.

I’d check with your AME. Mine doesn’t need a note for my basal cell removals. Just note it on the medical visits section of the MedXpress form.
basal cell and squamous cells: all you need is the path report from the moh’s procedure whick sez clear at the margins and thst includes the DEEP margin....issued in the Office.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back