Baron

GaryP1007

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GaryP1007
Starting to educate myself on the variations of Barons. Curious to get opinions on what you think is the best Baron model available today and why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I like the pre-1984 58s with the throwover yoke. Reasonably roomy, good access through the big cabin doors, and generally better useful load than the newer ones. I find the 58s to be easier to land than the 55s (disclaimer—I have a couple thousand hours in 58s, but only a couple hundred sporadically in 55s).

You can’t get FIKI prior to 1984, although I think there’s still at least one FIKI STC using TKS that can be installed.

A late 80s/early 90s 58 with IO550s and TKS.

To be clear, all Barons are twins. The ‘single-engine Baron’ is known as the Bonanza. ;)

I have been looking into Barons too. What I found was that those with reasonably priced ( i.e. within my budget ) have very high TT 8-9 K hours . Those with low times are priced too high for me.

Starting to educate myself on the variations of Barons. Curious to get opinions on what you think is the best Baron model available today and why.

You are on the wrong website for this question.......

Lovely aircraft. Way out of my price range for the planes I would own. sigh............

If you have to explain the Baron is a twin then this is the wrong thread for you.

If you have to explain the Baron is a twin then this is the wrong thread for you.

Certainly I know they are twins. Sorrrrrry if my subject line created concern.

$250K or less.

Oh above median american housing money? LOL You should be fine then. I would personally pick the B55 because it would save me money on the market premium of the 58 rear doors, plus I would prefer the marginal savings of maintaining a 470 over the 520/550 series and stay 14V electrics, but for you I'd say the 58 Baron is probably the ticket.

Lot's of options in that range. What's your mission?

Lots of flying in the northeast plus we have relatives in South Carolina. We fly a lot to Nashville as well. So ideally 500-750 mile type trips.

Looking at Barons, too. For my wife and once in a while passengers my choice would be a late E55 with a panel I’d be comfortable flying IMC. 750 or 650GTn AND a good autopilot, GAMIs and JPI engine monitor.. Dream would be IO550 powered E, but they’re as expensive as nice pre-‘84 58s. Post’84 Baron 58s are the snits, but nearly 1/2M. I’m told the B55 are the nicest (hand) flying version, but I like the payload flexibility of the longer nose and 520s. Currently own a V35A and it’s a very nice machine, fast and thrifty to run (163KTAS@12.3GPH). The thing you gotta know about Barons (Bonanzas, too) is if you buy the wrong one, it’s like marrying the wrong woman - it will cost you big $$$.

Looking at Barons, too. For my wife and once in a while passengers my choice would be a late E55 with a panel I’d be comfortable flying IMC. 750 or 650GTn AND a good autopilot, GAMIs and JPI engine monitor.. Dream would be IO550 powered E, but they’re as expensive as nice pre-‘84 58s. Post’84 Baron 58s are the snits, but nearly 1/2M. I’m told the B55 are the nicest (hand) flying version, but I like the payload flexibility of the longer nose and 520s. Currently own a V35A and it’s a very nice machine, fast and thrifty to run (163KTAS@12.3GPH). The thing you gotta know about Barons (Bonanzas, too) is if you buy the wrong one, it’s like marrying the wrong woman - it will cost you big $$$.

Thanks for the info. I need to learn what makes a wrong one.

You won’t know it’s a wrong one until you are committed.

Wait. Are we talking about airplanes or women?

Lots of flying in the northeast plus we have relatives in South Carolina. We fly a lot to Nashville as well. So ideally 500-750 mile type trips.

Is club seating necessary? Yes=58, No=55

For 500-750 mile trips you'll need 136 gal tanks or bigger, or plan a fuel stop. What's on your must have list? Air conditioning, radar, ice protection, pretty paint?

What’s the old joke about commitment? Girl introduces boyfriend to father, who asks if he is truly committed to his daughter. The lad replies “I am involved with your daughter.” The father says “well, there’s a hell of a difference between ‘involved’ and committed. To illustrate the father directs the lad’s attention to a plate of ham and eggs. Tells the boy “you see, this is the difference!” Kid says he doesn’t understand. The father says on this plate you should clearly see the difference between involvement and commitment: points to the food “you see here, the chicken was ‘involved’ but the pig was committed.”

Is club seating necessary? Yes=58, No=55

For 500-750 mile trips you'll need 136 gal tanks or bigger, or plan a fuel stop. What's on your must have list? Air conditioning, radar, ice protection, pretty paint?

Ice is the must have.

Gary, if you do some reading and post asking for some advice on beechtalk.com, I think you'll get a ton of useful information, buying advice, and leads on planes for sale that haven't hit the market yet. There is a post about someone who is looking for or just bought a Baron nearly every week.

Gary, if you do some reading and post asking for some advice on beechtalk.com, I think you'll get a ton of useful information, buying advice, and leads on planes for sale that haven't hit the market yet. There is a post about someone who is looking for or just bought a Baron nearly every week.
Thank you Eric. I appreciate the suggestion.

I was considering upgrading from my Mooney to Baron, checked with insurance at it would have quadrupled my premiums - primarily based on hull value (which was 3 times higher) and my lack of recent time in Barons (I have 12.5K multi, but last Baron time was over 20 years ago). Since I just use my plane for commuting I decided to continue enjoying the Mooney. There are some pretty good deals on Barons out there though, I love the way they handle. Let us know if you pull the trigger!

I was considering upgrading from my Mooney to Baron, checked with insurance at it would have quadrupled my premiums - primarily based on hull value (which was 3 times higher) and my lack of recent time in Barons (I have 12.5K multi, but last Baron time was over 20 years ago). Since I just use my plane for commuting I decided to continue enjoying the Mooney. There are some pretty good deals on Barons out there though, I love the way they handle. Let us know if you pull the trigger!
My premium on a $125k hull Baron was a little over $3k. That was back when I was less than 500 TT and 100 ME.

Oh above median american housing money? LOL You should be fine then. I would personally pick the B55 because it would save me money on the market premium of the 58 rear doors, plus I would prefer the marginal savings of maintaining a 470 over the 520/550 series and stay 14V electrics, but for you I'd say the 58 Baron is probably the ticket.
B55s are 28V also. At least mine (‘78 B55) was.

You won’t know it’s a wrong one until you are committed.

Wait. Are we talking about airplanes or women?

Airplanes are predictable. Absolutely predictable. Do the exact same thing and the plane responds the exact same way.
Women? Not so much. :sigh:

If you absolutely must have FIKI, then you need a 58 Baron. You can get ‘factory de-ice’ B55s, but they were never certified for known ice.

If I was hunting for ice, unlikely a Baron would be my first choice of twin piston to do it in.

Back