Baron weather

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Sorry to not be as active last week. Business have suddenly picked up and it's really been crazy. Took the Baron from Dallas/Addison up to Rockford, Portage and Oshkosh yesterday. Gave the de-ice systems a good workout and did instrument approaches into each place with blowing snow and BR. Just had the KFC-200 fixed and gave it a good shakedown. All went well.

Visiting nieces this weekend up here in the C Co Co Cooooooold!

Best,

Dave

I've been down for six weeks. FINALLY got the prop back from Aircraft Propellor Service in Wheeling, IL. (5 wks). Got the engine hung. Ran it and made the flow adjustments. Couldn't balance it to the other engine.

Other engine has a leak in the Upperdeck Controller diaphragm. Sigh. Another two weeks.

I'm going nucking futz.

Glad you had a safe flight, Dave. Sounds like my flight through your fine area last weekend. I still find it cool to hit the boots and watch the ice come off.

Of course, when you hit the boots and the ice doesn't come off, it's very, very not cool.

Additional note: I'm down for this weekend (for the first time in a while). The left vacuum pump went out over New Mexico on my way back home, so I finished up the trip (WX was excellent and I had 47 small dogs on board - not about to cancel mid-flight!). Ordered a new vacuum pump, new pump is seized solid. Should be back up and running again next weekend.

Hope you're back up soon, Bruce. :)

Last edited:
I've been down for six weeks. FINALLY got the prop back from Aircraft Propellor Service in Wheeling, IL. (5 wks). Got the engine hung. Ran it and made the flow adjustments. Couldn't balance it to the other engine.

Other engine has a leak in the Upperdeck Controller diaphragm. Sigh. Another two weeks.

I'm going nucking futz.

I know what you mean. We had AP problems with the KFC-200; been down since the holidays. Nice to be up again. Hope you are soon.

Dave

Business have suddenly picked up and it's really been crazy.

This is good!!

Took the Baron from Dallas/Addison up to Rockford, Portage and Oshkosh yesterday. Gave the de-ice systems a good workout and did instrument approaches into each place with blowing snow and BR. Just had the KFC-200 fixed and gave it a good shakedown. All went well.

Visiting nieces this weekend up here in the C Co Co Cooooooold!

And this is icing on the cake!! :yesnod:

Thanks Troy. Last March, a lender on my main subdivision went under and I had to stop all I was doing and refinance it. Not an easy task back then. New lenders wanted a lot; most just turned it down. I finally called a friend on a bank board and he referred me to a new lender (talked to over 20 lenders prior to this). Had to pay last year's property taxes (2008), put up 2009's a year in advance, put up a year's interest in advance and a $400,000 CD to secure a loan that was 35% LTV with three good builders in the subdivision. Got all that done somehow.

Now, I've got that loan paid down to 1/3rd of the original balance. 15 more lots and the lender is fully paid. So, bullet dodged. Around November, builders just came out of the woodwork. Where none would make strong commitments in the past year, now they were putting up meaningful earnest money to get into good locations. Got a good new builder and kept a strong one that's been in since the beginning.

I've been waiting a couple years to bid on deals the banks were letting go, and just couldn't break any free. Since December, I've had several opportunities to buy notes on subdivisions or to step into a situation where a developer has defaulted. It's very sad on the one hand because I know most of the developers. On the other hand, this business if very cyclical and this is when good opportunities show up for those of us that kept our powder dry and performed in this down turn.

Best,

Dave

Thanks Troy. Last March, a lender on my main subdivision went under and I had to stop all I was doing and refinance it. Not an easy task back then. New lenders wanted a lot; most just turned it down. I finally called a friend on a bank board and he referred me to a new lender (talked to over 20 lenders prior to this). Had to pay last year's property taxes (2008), put up 2009's a year in advance, put up a year's interest in advance and a $400,000 CD to secure a loan that was 35% LTV with three good builders in the subdivision. Got all that done somehow.

Now, I've got that loan paid down to 1/3rd of the original balance. 15 more lots and the lender is fully paid. So, bullet dodged. Around November, builders just came out of the woodwork. Where none would make strong commitments in the past year, now they were putting up meaningful earnest money to get into good locations. Got a good new builder and kept a strong one that's been in since the beginning.

I've been waiting a couple years to bid on deals the banks were letting go, and just couldn't break any free. Since December, I've had several opportunities to buy notes on subdivisions or to step into a situation where a developer has defaulted. It's very sad on the one hand because I know most of the developers. On the other hand, this business if very cyclical and this is when good opportunities show up for those of us that kept our powder dry and performed in this down turn.

Best,

Dave

It's good to see things are getting better in your world Dave. When are you heading back? I may be looking for somewhere to fly to tomorrow. Alternatively if the nieces "need" to shop MoA, I can provide ground transport.

Best,

Dave
Glad to hear things are going well for you. It appears you've navigated the down-turn quite well.

It's good to see things are getting better in your world Dave. When are you heading back? I may be looking for somewhere to fly to tomorrow. Alternatively if the nieces "need" to shop MoA, I can provide ground transport.

I'll probably head out of OSH around 11:45. Want to be in Rockford to pick up a passenger and leave for Dallas about 1:00. There's a pretty significant system coming in from the west and I need to get back to Dallas if front of it; otherwise, I'd stick around later.

Best,

Dave

Glad to hear things are going well for you. It appears you've navigated the down-turn quite well.

Thanks Jesse! We're not completely out of the woods yet, but we can see the edge of the forest <g>. Niece is planning wedding and Uncle Dave's been able to help a little.

Best,

Dave

Thanks Jesse! We're not completely out of the woods yet, but we can see the edge of the forest <g>. Niece is planning wedding and Uncle Dave's been able to help a little.

"Uncle Dave, can I borrow the keys to the P-Baron for my honeymoon?" ;)

On a side note, I always enjoy hearing how you spend as much time with your neices as you do. I was commenting last night that I can't ever remember my grandmother or the rest of my relatives calling me (or vice versa). None of us were very close at all, and we saw eachother perhaps a few days a year. It would be nice to have such memories, which I'm sure your neices will recall fondly.

Safe flight home!

Last edited:
I'll tell you the story sometime Ted. There's a bit more to it. My youngest niece lost her Mom and Dad (my brother); so, I stepped in a bit.

Lindsay does have plans for Miss Baron at the wedding since she's a rated pilot now. I can see the Baron getting christened and named <g>. I can see someone in a wedding dress with other Baron plans that day.

Best,

Dave

Lindsay does have plans for Miss Baron at the wedding since she's a rated pilot now. I can see the Baron getting christened and named <g>. I can see someone in a wedding dress with other Baron plans that day.

Intriguing... Do tell! Is she gonna get married at the threshold of a runway at OSH, and her walk down the aisle will be the rollout of a P-Baron landing at the other end of the runway? :D

Well Kent, I can see what will happen if you have you're way at a wedding <g>

She has a more traditional wedding in mind in the Dells. She said something about going to the airport in her wedding gown and doing something with the Baron since all her family knows she's got her pilot's license now.

Some how I feel I will be let know what's up later on and will make sure Miss Baron's clean and ready to make her look good. I'll just kinna be in background like a good Uncle making sure everything goes right.

Big year for her. Graduating from nursing school (she's enrolled to get her masters now); marriage (to a wonderful fella), honeymoon and we're headed to Hawaii this year for our annual Uncle, niece vacation. She's determined to get her SCUBA rating before we head out this year so she can do an open water dive with me. (People give me weird looks when they see my 1971 YMCA cert. Last instructor wasn't born then.)

Best,

Dave

(People give me weird looks when they see my 1971 YMCA cert. Last instructor wasn't born then.)

Dave
Hah, my NAUI certificate is 1969! Took diving as a PE class at USC. Deep dive at Catalina Island.

And Dave, glad to hear business is better. Hope that starts working my way.

Hey!

CAF Devil Dog left KOSH for warmer climes yesterday. After new engine and O/H prop I'm sure they we're glad to get back to the south. Great folks. Don't know who was right seat, though.

A B-25 overflew us at OSH yesterday while I was loading up the P-Baron. Pointed it out to my nieces. Had no idea which plane it was, but my niece that's rated will love seeing a woman is PIC rated in that plane!

Best,

Dave

Sorry I didn't get back with you Lance. Until this wedding is behind Lindsay, I don't see having much discretionary time on these trips <g>

She's done her first dress fitting; coming end of March for the second; third will be in May and fly up there mid May for her graduation; end of June for wedding.

I might coordinate with you for her May graduation. There may be some time to link up when I'm up for that.

When she calls, I just take notes, ask where I need to be, when, and how much it will cost :D

Best,

Dave

Hah, my NAUI certificate is 1969! Took diving as a PE class at USC. Deep dive at Catalina Island.

And Dave, glad to hear business is better. Hope that starts working my way.

I hope so too, unless that means you might get less Lear time :D. Lots of good economic indicators. Unfortunately, unemployment isn't one.

Best,

Dave

Back