Baron E55 down in NC---

Kelvin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
KTD
I knew the pilot well. Really a great guy...liked by everyone. He occupied the hangar two down from mine until 2012 when I moved to a PA46 and the T hangars didn't allow me to stay.

He flew a gorgeous Grumman, then a 182. I am not sure how long he has the Baron.

This happened inside of three miles from the Runway 04 threshold at 10:30 p.m. It 'appears' he was doing night currency. This was at least the second trip through the pattern.

Things I note:
No fire.
Fast.
Reported a control problem.

Two minutes from take off to impact.

What goes wrong so fast that from all things being in order to complete chaos is less than 30 seconds?

Flight Map
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N664AR/history/20190628/0230Z/KFAY/L 34.95460 -78.91700

Flight Log
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N664AR/history/20190628/0230Z/KFAY/L 34.95460 -78.91700/tracklog

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/06/beechcraft-e55-baron-n664ar-fatal.html

Sorry to hear that. I read that he was practicing night time landings? In a twin, hopefully he was doing those to a full stop. There have been a few situations here in FL where pilots in twins were doing T&G's or otherwise distracted and have bent the airplane.

Either way, horrible RIP.

Sorry to hear that. I read that he was practicing night time landings? In a twin, hopefully he was doing those to a full stop. There have been a few situations here in FL where pilots in twins were doing T&G's or otherwise distracted and have bent the airplane.

Either way, horrible RIP.

Well, for night currency, if he wasn't going to full-stop, they don't technically count so I'd hope he was making full stop landings.

Well, for night currency, if he wasn't going to full-stop, they don't technically count so I'd hope he was making full stop landings.

True, I have heard that in twins there is a lot more to cleanup and that T&G's specifically are NOT something you want to do. The time of the accident was 11:30 PM, that's pretty late at night though to be doing currency flights.

True, I have heard that in twins there is a lot more to cleanup and that T&G's specifically are NOT something you want to do. The time of the accident was 11:30 PM, that's pretty late at night though to be doing currency flights.

A twin doesn't have anything else to cleanup for a T&G than any complex single has. I'd imagine mixtures/props are already forward/set upon final approach, so the flaps, trim, and throttles are the only items of concern for a T&G. I would say that the typical issue of establishing stop-go distances, asymmetric thrust, and planning for potential engine outs is likely what makes T&Gs in a twin much riskier.

The time of the accident was 11:30 PM, that's pretty late at night though to be doing currency flights.

End of civil twilight today is at 2119h. If you really want night practice, you want it to be dark, and that isn't the case until you reach nautical twilight, and that's 2159h.

It was actually 10:30.p.m.

Could be...runaway trim as well...

I have gleaned that some of the older Barons have issues with control cables coming apart at the connections (I could have this wrong about 'where').

This time of the year in NC, it doesn't get dark until after 9:00 p.m.

So not that late really, hmm, control problems, maybe a rigging issue?

Could be...runaway trim as well...

I have gleaned that some of the older Barons have issues with control cables coming apart at the connections (I could have this wrong about 'where').

This time of the year in NC, it doesn't get dark until after 9:00 p.m.

Apparently under the turnbuckles. It's been in the back of my mind, so I should probably get mine checked out, lest all of my flight controls start exhibiting "automatic rough" when I'm alone and anxious. :D

https://www.bonanza.org/contentasse...e-turn-buckles-inspection-recommendation2.pdf

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...tID=20190628X04252&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=FA

Preliminary Report is out.

No flaps
No gear down turning base
Way too fast (not in report)
Maintenance issues unresolved.
Right prop not recovered?

The local paper does a decent job of getting some facts out...not great but decent.

https://www.fayobserver.com/news/20...tal-hope-mills-crash-had-issues-with-controls

Roberts Katzt, who seems to get quoted a lot in newspapers puts in his useless and inaccurate two cents worth...
<snip>
Robert Katz, a Dallas-based flight instructor and pilot with 38 years of flight experience, called the system “kind of like the brains of the instrumentation. It helps provide information that helps the pilot stay oriented in flight.”

After reading from the preliminary report, he said, “I’m inclined to think that due to the destruction of the airplane and no fire is a clear indication to me of no fuel. I’m very confident this plane ran out of fuel.” </snip>

"POA" quoted:
To be current for night landings with passengers, a pilot must have done at least three full stop landings between the times of one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise within the last 90 days, said the website Pilots of America.

Last edited:
The 10¢ summary:

The aircraft had an AHRS problem, and had been left at a maintenance facility for repair. At 6 PM on the day of the accident, the owner showed up at the shop, and was told the aircraft had not been repaired yet.

He returned later that night, took off in the airplane, and was going to fly it around the pattern. He reported control difficulties to the tower before crashing.

You gotta wonder what drives the decision making process for some people.

I feel you Jim.

This report creates more questions than it answers...

Back