Baron Abuse

ironnerd

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
ironnerd
Many (many) years ago, I worked for a company that flew Beech 55 and 58 Barons. We had an incident once where the cockpit and baggage doors both popped open in flight, causing the loss of a guitar (which appears appears to have hit the vertical as it exited) and the logbook. None of the payload was lost as it was tied down.

Of all the instances of "Baron Abuse" that took place in my short tenure at this little operation, this one has always stuck out in my mind. When we heard about it, everyone at the company sort of shrugged and said, "That's weird," and went on with their work. It never happened again, AFAIK, and the pilot never said much about it. Seems pretty bone-headed to leave both doors unlocked, and that they would wait an hour before popping (maybe the plane had a sense of dramatic flair).

I'm just curious to see if you cats have heard of this sort of thing before.

that's not baron abuse, that's guitar abuse. what does 'not locking the baggage door' have to do with plane type?

Yeah if that was an older Les Paul guitar or similar, that's serious chet man. Always can get another Baron right?

It is just another example in a long list of instances of Baron Abuse at the company. I've always suspected he was screwing around in flight and managed to pop the doors open.

It was a pretty crappy guitar.

Yeah if that was an older Les Paul guitar or similar, that's serious chet man. Always can get another Baron right?
In all seriousness, there really are Les Pauls out there that are worth more than most Barons.

It still amazes me that people will pay $250k for a guitar.

Has United ever operated a Baron?
No... at least not while I worked there. I never realized the amount of musical destruction I have left in my wake as an airplane mechanic...

The mechanic I replaced at the Baron operator forgot to set the brakes and started an engine at full throttle. The plane made a sharp turn through the hangar door (almost). About a foot of the left wing was taken off when it hit the edge of the door threshold, and the prop ran into the baggage cart, which stopped the plane from hitting the back of the hangar. I was told that only pilots were allowed to perform engine runs (after I replaced a mag, and ran the engine to check it). They never did send me a protractor for that mag change. I whipped one up from office supplies and a quick coffee mess raid.

Prop control cable came out of the swedged end at the governor... I was to to safety wire it back together. First time I ever cursed at a boss...

Had a plane with a twisted fuselage. The cabin door would not close all the way (about a 3/4" gap at the top). Same plane had a strut that would not hold air. I was told to jack the plane up and add air (the wing was too low to get a jack under). I had about 20 other squawks on this plane that I was working off, but never finished (see below). But they kept flying the thing!

The snaps that hold the brake pads in place were worn out on some of the planes, so the new pads would not stay in place - I was told to use RTV to hole them in place.

One plane slid sideways on the ice in front of the hangar and ran the wingtip into the door (pilot was fired, and rehired the next day).
Another plane slid off the icy runway one night (pilot fired, then rehired the next day)

Gear up landing (pilot fired, not rehired). IIRC, the manual extension crank handle hung up on something and stripped the gearbox.

Pilots left the seatbelt hanging out of the cabin door of a borrowed B-55. Jacked up a sweet paint job, and dinged up the skin just behind the door.

After a very extended shift trying to track down a fuel leak inside the cockpit, I went home to get some sleep. I had most of the instruments slid out so I could access the back of the fuel pressure gauge. Left a note "DO NOT FLY THIS PLANE" on the yoke. They pushed in all the gauges and flew it anyway. Had a bunch of fuel in the cockpit. When I came in that day, my many lists of squawks were gone, and they fired me at the end of the shift. Second time I cursed at my boss (a lot this time). Thus ending my three month employment with the operator.

After that I went to work for a commuter. One night we're doing our normal checks on our planes and we hear the distinctive sound of a gear-up landing (our hangar was pretty close to one end of the runway). We ran out to the plane, and it was from the Baron Operator. I walked up to the pilots (who I knew), and asked if they wanted to call the boss from our office. This gear failure was caused by the pilot's flashlight getting into the mechanism somehow - by then I didn't care. That place was just so jacked up. Never been so happy to be fired from someplace. The guy that ran the FBO I worked at before going to the Beech Operator warned me... I should have listened.

I did gain a lot of respect for Barons though. Tough plane that handles abuse and neglect quite well.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, there really are Les Pauls out there that are worth more than most Barons.

Collectors! Just like classic cars, etc. It is crazy though so I agree with ya.

It still amazes me people will pay $4.65 for a large Cinnamon Dolce latte at Starbucks. WTF is a cinnamon dolce latte anyway? :confused:o_O

How much for a Stradivarius?

It still amazes me people will pay $4.65 for a large Cinnamon Dolce latte at Starbucks. WTF is a cinnamon dolce latte anyway? :confused:o_O
You don;t want to know.

Surprising that guitar didn't knock the stab off. I know that losing a baggage door on an Arrow will bring down the whole aircraft.

On any other forum, I would classify this as impressive topic drift. Here... I'm just curious to see where ya'll go with this :)

Unfortunately, the coffee posts reminded me of another anecdote from the same company. The pilot who lost his guitar was from Texas, and was having a difficult time adjusting Michigan winters. One night he brought a nice hot cup of coffee out to the plane, set it on a wing-tip and started his preflight. By the time he got back to it, the coffee was starting to freeze at the edges. That was the same flight where the prop cable slid out of the swage/swedge (seen it spelled both ways).

"This" is Baron abuse!!

CR2K35.jpg

I'm just curious to see if you cats have heard of this sort of thing before.

I’ve never seen a steady state wind on the ground that would throw a guitar the length of a Baron except in a hurricane or tornado.

You said the Baron was “tied down” when this occurred, so I’m smelling something bovine feces related.

They’re self medicating. Their SSRIs are too expensive and they can’t drive drunk.

On any other forum, I would classify this as impressive topic drift. Here... I'm just curious to see where ya'll go with this :)

Unfortunately, the coffee posts reminded me of another anecdote from the same company. The pilot who lost his guitar was from Texas, and was having a difficult time adjusting Michigan winters. One night he brought a nice hot cup of coffee out to the plane, set it on a wing-tip and started his preflight. By the time he got back to it, the coffee was starting to freeze at the edges...

Starbucks seems to have that situation covered too. Apparently for a mere $5.25 you can have your special edition, organic, no fat "designer coffee" pre-frozen. ;) I am surprised they can fit this name on their menu board...

upload_2018-2-25_13-0-9.png

I’ve never seen a steady state wind on the ground that would throw a guitar the length of a Baron except in a hurricane or tornado.

You said the Baron was “tied down” when this occurred, so I’m smelling something bovine feces related.

I believe the payload was tied down, not the Barron.

cockpit and baggage doors both popped open inflight

Thanks @Axtel4 .
Cargo secured within the aircraft by means of cargo netting.
Plane in flight.

How do the doors open enough to let a guitar out? I figured the slipstream would hold them partly closed.

@kgruber - Yup... that's Baron abuse alright. What did they do to it? I'm guessing an engine out (feathered prop), but how do you bend the right wing tip and collapse the left gear?

How do the doors open enough to let a guitar out? I figured the slipstream would hold them partly closed.

Oh, that’s easy. It’s not about the door with just air hitting it. Cargo when it shifts in turbulence was accelerated to whatever force the turbulence whacked the airplane with.

$20 it wasn’t really under the cargo net. Guitar instantaneously “weighed” a couple hundred pounds in turbulence in the direction of the door, for just a moment, but long enough to blast its way out.

Only takes you about ten pounds of force to move even the heaviest door on the ground. A little air blowing on it may raise that to what, 40? 50?

Unsecured stuff of any weight above 10-15 lbs, can almost always gain enough force in turbulence to push a door open, if it’s unlatched.

All sorts of dents in the cargo compartments of airliners when I used to crawl around in them, the majority on the floor were from me and co- workers throwing heavy things, but there were a bunch in the ceiling and sidewalls that weren’t from us. ;)

@kgruber - Yup... that's Baron abuse alright. What did they do to it? I'm guessing an engine out (feathered prop), but how do you bend the right wing tip and collapse the left gear?

That happened when the idiot tried to "prop" start the engine. He succeeded!!

I was hoping this thread was going to be a list of ways on how to abuse Barron Thomas.

It hasn’t panned out that way yet. Dang it. :)

I was hoping this thread was going to be a list of ways on how to abuse Barron Thomas.

It hasn’t panned out that way yet. Dang it. :)

Hah. I was going to say the exact same thing then scrolled away to look up whether his name is Barron or Baron (it's Barron), got distracted, and you snuck in ahead of me :)

Back