Barefoot Bandit Visited NE, IA, ID, IN, and Bahamas

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
Last edited:
Re: Barefoot Bandit Stopped in NE, IA

We need to watch our aircraft security, he has broken into several hangars and stolen aircraft. He has figured out how to get them started and takeoff. He is still working on the landing phase, as he has crash landed all of them I think.

That should read "spotted" not stopped....

That should read "spotted" not stopped....
He did stop in NE and IA but you are correct in that the wording can cause confusion. I don't see how to change the title.

This is a lot like "Catch me if you can"....the boy definitely knows how to keep away from the police. I hope he enjoys the freedom while it lasts, because these days it's a matter of WHEN not IF he'll be caught.

We need to watch our aircraft security, he has broken into several hangars and stolen aircraft. He has figured out how to get them started and takeoff. He is still working on the landing phase, as he has crash landed all of them I think.

I think we can be pretty sure that if he managed to take off he landed afterwards, one way or another. :D

I think we can be pretty sure that if he managed to take off he landed afterwards, one way or another. :D

You are right I hear tell that we have never left one up there.:wink2:

You are right I hear tell that we have never left one up there.:wink2:
As a navy buddy of mine said, there are more airplanes in the ocean than submarines in the sky.

What is a Cessna 600 single engine plane? Was the kid knowledgeable enough to file an eAPIS and ADIZ flight plan? If not, one has to wonder why he wasn't intercepted.

Do they really care about people leaving the country?

What is a Cessna 600 single engine plane? Was the kid knowledgeable enough to file an eAPIS and ADIZ flight plan? If not, one has to wonder why he wasn't intercepted.

400. Corvalis. And he put it in the water in the Bahamas. Someone is going to catch that kid and skin him alive.

Hmmm...wonder if the kid would have made it without a moving map GPS.

No doubt he is a pretty smart kid. He's done quite a bit without getting caught. That's quite the XC to make without any knowledge. I suspect he mostly got lucky.

Too bad he couldn't better apply himself. I don't understand why some people seem to think of him as a 'hero' ridiculous. Hope they lock him up for a long time.

he's living the ultimate dream of everyone who played a lot of Grand Theft Auto but were deterred by real world consequences.

he's living the ultimate dream of everyone who played a lot of Grand Theft Auto but were deterred by real world consequences.
for sure.

Do they really care about people leaving the country?

Yessir, they do. You need to check out the rules of the United States of Homeland Security. Can you get access from Freedonia?

"Vare are your papers?"

I just mean from a practical standpoint.

They seem to devote all their available resources on blips approaching the mainland, not departing...

btw, no one wants to leave Freedonia!

Hail, & Farewell!

Yessir, they do. You need to check out the rules of the United States of Homeland Security. Can you get access from Freedonia?

"Vare are your papers?"

Updated the thread title for clarity and where he's visited. I wonder if he keeps one of those "signature maps"...

Edit: Well Shoot...it didn't update the thread title.

Updated the thread title for clarity and where he's visited. I wonder if he keeps one of those "signature maps"...

Edit: Well Shoot...it didn't update the thread title.
Fixed it for you. Only a moderator can edit thread titles. Don't ask me why - that's just the way it's always been ;)

Fixed it for you. Only a moderator can edit thread titles. Don't ask me why - that's just the way it's always been ;)
It's doing little things like that that make it nice to know you. Thanks, Jesse. At some point, let's all hope that the barefoot bandit has been stopped.

The mother is a real piece of work. Too bad they can'r prosecute her as an accessory.

No doubt he is a pretty smart kid. He's done quite a bit without getting caught. That's quite the XC to make without any knowledge. I suspect he mostly got lucky.

Well, that's assuming he actually was trying to get to the Bahamas. He could have been aiming for Nunavut, for all we know.

Odd, though, that he hasn't figured out how to land.

-Rich

Odd, though, that he hasn't figured out how to land.

That's why he's always trying to break into Cirrus's. He doesn't have to learn how to land, just pull the chute. :D

Re: Barefoot Bandit Visited NE, IA and points East

Jesse- Thanks much!

I wonder if he planned to land in the water... three miles offshore is a fair distance from land, even if the water is 3 feet deep.

<total supposition>
I can't help but wonder if he looked for an airplane (targeted theft) that had 1400 nm range from point X, but then, not knowing about proper leaning technique, ran the tanks dry short of his intended destination.
</total supposition>

I wonder if he planned to land in the water... three miles offshore is a fair distance from land, even if the water is 3 feet deep.

<total supposition>
I can't help but wonder if he looked for an airplane (targeted theft) that had 1400 nm range from point X, but then, not knowing about proper leaning technique, ran the tanks dry short of his intended destination.
</total supposition>

<total supposition>
By now he is getting tired of running. Fly to the Bahamas, ditch the plane offshore where he knows the water is shallow and maybe nobody sees him. Then he has effectively disappeared until/unless the plane is found. What time of day did he ditch? You or I would plan for a morning twilight ditching. </total supposition>

<total supposition>
By now he is getting tired of running. Fly to the Bahamas, ditch the plane offshore where he knows the water is shallow and maybe nobody sees him. Then he has effectively disappeared until/unless the plane is found. What time of day did he ditch? You or I would plan for a morning twilight ditching. </total supposition>

If he wanted to stay low he wouldn't be breaking into 4 places every night and smiling into CCTV cameras. Mom says she wished he had flown to a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the US.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g3ng0HuCqAC4S1vDdZDuEso6S73QD9GQDIIO0

If he tries to steal a plane in the Bahamas - and how else is he going to keep moving? Stowaway on a freighter? - or when he gets caught, he'll wish he was in the US.

Too bad he couldn't better apply himself. I don't understand why some people seem to think of him as a 'hero' ridiculous. Hope they lock him up for a long time.

Because he's the same personality as a hero, the circumstances are just different. There are some cops and criminals that are the same person, they just end up on different sides of the law.

Because he's the same personality as a hero, the circumstances are just different. There are some cops and criminals that are the same person, they just end up on different sides of the law.
I disagree. A lot.

Back